Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snocktogenarian - Michael Hurley turns 80

Started by Rizla, December 09, 2021, 02:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

NY Times article on the man.

Gladdens my heart to see ol' Snock hailed by the NYT. I have a treasured memory of my band sharing a bill with him and Dave Reisch back in the early 00's, then me and the drummer being invited to play with them the next night in a tiny folk club near Perth, which turned into a fine old pissup thanks to DR swiping a load of wine from the venue for us sink in the cottage they were staying in next door. This was just before Michael's song  The Hog of the Forsaken was chosen as the theme tune to Deadwood, which must have given his profile (and bank balance) a much-deserved bump.

Prior to this, his greatest success might have been the 1976 LP "Have Moicy", a joint effort with The Unholy Modal Rounders and Jeffrey Frederick & the Clamtones, from which the toothsome Slurf Song is a highlight. My personal favourite album of his is 1972's "HiFi Snock Uptown", with the lovely opening track  Blue Driver, I think Peel used to spin this a fair bit. Worth checking out if you like your groove wood-panelled.