Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:55:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robbie Shakespeare R.I.P.

Started by Johnboy, December 09, 2021, 02:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That's a shame, so much great Sly & Robbie stuff, I especially liked the 80's Compass Point era.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_Point_Studios

Malcy

Sad news. Surprised at his age. Thought he was much older. Will be breaking out the tunes later with a bit of Ian Dury's Lord Upminster thrown in as well.

Brundle-Fly

LU! Good call Malcy.

I do love this one though.

Goldentony

that Rhythm Killers album really is great. Love love love it. Sad about this but the guys got such a mad long list and legacy of amazing shit so fair plaay to him.

The production on this for 1981 is incredible - same year as Genius Of Love and sounds it.

Sebastian Cobb

Love Rhythm Killers.

They had a fair bit to do with Nightclubbing as well didn't they?

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 09, 2021, 09:04:33 PMLove Rhythm Killers.

They had a fair bit to do with Nightclubbing as well didn't they?

Yep, all the best Grace Jones stuff is them as themselves or as Kookoo Baya.

I fell down a yt rabbit hole watching studio clips of him last night, love how he's nearly always sitting and barely moves. Everything nailed in a couple of takes, no faffing around.

Video Game Fan 2000

Not as good as what's been mentioned, but Sly and Robbie were responsible for Gainsbourg's reggae album which is shockingly tight. Cross post with cultural appropriation thread, but its Gainsbourg who's getting appropriated.

Rev+

As mentioned, he was at least a decade or so younger than I'd have thought he was.  Started early and packed a lot in I suppose, as he's on an amazing number of records.  RIP, he was the reason I became a bassist rather than going lead guitar, because on any decent song the bass is more important.