Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie soundtracks!

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 09, 2021, 08:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetPomPom

Big fat dirty basslines, so good.

badaids

Someone has already mentioned Under The Skin, which is amazing. So I'm going to out in the soundtracks for Alien and 2001.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SweetPomPom on December 12, 2021, 09:44:57 AM

Big fat dirty basslines, so good.

It's amazing but the list would discount it because it's a score (ie: a proper soundtrack rather than the director showing off their record collection. Same goes for aforenominated Under The Skin , Alien but not 2001.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 12, 2021, 01:24:20 PMIt's amazing but the list would discount it because it's a score (ie: a proper soundtrack rather than the director showing off their record collection. Same goes for aforenominated Under The Skin , Alien but not 2001.

Didn't realise that was the criteria, Less Than Zero (1987) on Def Jam has a good, diverse set of tracks mostly produced by Rick Rubin.

greenman

Full Metal Jacket I'd say one of the more significant, I'd argue rather set the blueprint for Tarantino in terms of both the music and really working the soundtrack into the film. Something like the These Boots Are Made for Walking shot of the prostitute does feel like it could have come out of one of his films.

greenman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 12, 2021, 01:24:20 PMIt's amazing but the list would discount it because it's a score (ie: a proper soundtrack rather than the director showing off their record collection. Same goes for aforenominated Under The Skin , Alien but not 2001.

You could argue I spose the criteria are a bit vague in that some specially recorded stuff like say Trouble Man is included because it takes the form of songs by a well known musician.

beanheadmcginty

Dunno whether Blade Runner would be discounted under these rules? But either way, Beverly Hills Cop deserves to be in there.

SweetPomPom

Well, the List is an ass!

I hereby nominate these 2, tonally tight and full of winners:

Both Reznor productions, the man knows what he's doing.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: greenman on December 12, 2021, 04:16:50 PMFull Metal Jacket I'd say one of the more significant, I'd argue rather set the blueprint for Tarantino in terms of both the music and really working the soundtrack into the film. Something like the These Boots Are Made for Walking shot of the prostitute does feel like it could have come out of one of his films.

Kubrick was mighty grumpy about them using the ratio of repurposed stuff against original score to discard the film from the Oscars category.

Video Game Fan 2000

Video Game Fan 2000

hang on, fucking Akira's not on it

jobotic

So is Midnight Cowboy allowed? If not I'm done with this.

Golden E. Pump

An incredibly journey through a fictional French opening in the fabric of time that not only contains 'Mountains' and the smash-hit 'Kiss' but it ends with the sparse, tender masterpiece that is 'Sometimes It Snows in April'.

Purple Rain is sublime, Graffiti Bridge is ridiculous, Batman is goofy but Parade is the one.

a peepee tipi

One of my mom's favorite movies is The Slender Thread starring Sidney Poitier and Anne Bancroft. The storyline is high concept and kind of insane in retrospect, does not hold up well at all nowadays and wasn't terribly well-received in its time. Quincy Jones really knocks it out of the park with his work here, though. Don't know why my mom likes it so much, but the first couple of minutes of the score here will always catch my attention.

I've also always been fond of this track from Airplane! too. It's meant to be hokey and idk if it's worth listening to either film's soundtracks in full, but that's a fuckin beautiful melody.

a peepee tipi