Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:21:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lee and Herring on 1FM

Started by Gurke and Hare, December 10, 2021, 11:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

I'm working my way through these to help the working from home day pass at the moment, and I'm still sure they were the best thing L&H did. I've just got to the bit with the man from the Badmington Council, and when they show him in the dictionary that it's actually spelt "badminton" Kevin Eldon's delivery of "Oh, but we've done all the posters now" is amazing.

non capisco

My favourite thing they did together as well. The (I think) debut appearance of 'Rod Hull' as part of a 1FM anti-drugs campaign shrieking something like "TOUCHING CHILDREN'S GENITALS WITH MY HAND DISGUISED AS A PUPPET BIRD IS ENOUGH OF A DRUG FOR ME!" had me in the same kind of seemingly never ending fits of laughter as the Stars In Their Eyes George Michael bit on The Smell of Reeves & Mortimer. Not sure if Rod Hull had heard it before he agreed to appear on the TV Fist Of Fun as himself.

Pink Gregory

I think I tried to listen to these from the files on Fourble but there was something wrong with them sounding like the mics were blowing out all the time?

I loved their Radio 1 music show.  Always preferred it to the Fist of Fun radio show.
"Lee and Herring on One FM.  The glue that holds Radio 1 together is made of their spunk."

Replies From View

Where might a human obtain these?

Pranet

Also think this was them at their best.

Think I've said before, my given name is Ian, and for some reason I missed the first half of the show one week and turned it on to hear "and now the news for your name" followed by Ian News, which is the best way to have heard that, apart from if I'd never heard of Lee and Herring before and didn't know their thing for my entirely unrisible name.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Pranet on December 10, 2021, 05:09:50 PMdidn't know their thing for my entirely unrisible name.

There used to be a window cleaner's van parked on my street with the business name "Spick & Span" on it, and it was impossible for me not to say "Ian Spick and Ian Span are window cleaners" to myself every time I walked past it.

Gurke and Hare

SteveDave

"Better than Bruno Brookes, not as good as John Peel on One FM"

I'm on a lot of episodes of these shows as I constantly called in. In one I play "Everyone's Gone To The Moon" by Jonathan King down the phone. Another caller was fellow CaBman PaulTMA but I only discovered this a few years ago.

When Stewart Lee did a thing for an album I made a few years ago, I told him that a lot of my musical tastes came from these shows. It was the first time I'd heard King Missile, Daniel Johnston, The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band and Neil Innes to name but a few.

non capisco

I remember 'Harnessed In Slums' by Archers Of Loaf getting presumably its one and only 1FM play on one of these. 

Magnum Valentino

First time I heard L7, Scott Walker, Tony Christie and Colourblind James Experience. Good stuff.

Replies From View

First time I heard SteveDave was on these shows

Ignatius_S

Funnily enough, have recently been thinking about these shows and how good they were so this will prompt a re-listen - cheers!

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 10, 2021, 12:20:08 PMI think I tried to listen to these from the files on Fourble but there was something wrong with them sounding like the mics were blowing out all the time?

Fourble doesn't have any files itself but links to content on archive.org. At one point, I think it linked to content elsewhere but that didn't take-off.

When looking for a specific series, I've found Fourble is easier to use than archive.org's search function since the site redesign a while back, but Fourble doesn't always list all available episodes (e.g. with Inner Sanctum, I think 25% aren't listed) but that will be how archive.org content is sometimes spread over multiple collections and this issue will tend to be OTR shows. If accessing shows via Fourble and audio quality isn't great, archive.org sometimes has different recordings.

Gurke and Hare

Blur, Oasis, Echobelly, Pulp and Sleeper

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Hairy Herr Hayers' hairy hair hares.