Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

British Saturday Night Live .... again?

Started by dissolute ocelot, December 10, 2021, 08:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Deadline are reporting that plans are at an early stage for a British version of much-abused US TV institution Saturday Night Live. Talks are going on for the show to appear on Sky, which is now owned by Comcast who also own NBC which airs SNL.

I suspect this will not happen, because it's actually quite difficult and expensive to produce an hour of (nearly) live scripted comedy every week, although it is also possible they will produce something 40 minutes long that isn't funny. Also there seems some uncertainty about whether it'll be Saturday Night Live or Saturday Early Evening Live.

Goldentony

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 10, 2021, 08:53:39 PMalthough it is also possible they will produce something 40 minutes long that isn't funny.

Live, from New York! It's Saturday Night!

non capisco

Are they gonna get Lee Hurst to host it again?

up_the_hampipe

Have they tried this before? SNL has been on TV since 1975, so I can't imagine this is the first time an attempted UK version has been developed. None of them ever made it to air, I assume.

This is probably the worst time to make it as well. People don't watch TV as much, especially not "Sky originals". There seems to be much less interest in a new generation of talent too.

Goldentony

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 10, 2021, 09:18:18 PMHave they tried this before?

a ton and its always been dogshite, we arent capable or accepting of it

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

This would be the third time. The second time, as non capisco noted, with Lee Hurst was a disaster.

up_the_hampipe

Is that 'Saturday Live' you're talking about? Aside from the similar name, that seemed more like a variety show that came about from the SNL concept but became something quite different.

amateur

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 10, 2021, 10:14:59 PMThis would be the third time. The second time, as non capisco noted, with Lee Hurst was a disaster.

From what I remember, that was where Harry Hill became known, he stole the show every week.

DrGreggles

SNL is pretty dreadful though, and always has been.
Fuck knows how/why it's been so popular for so long.

The Friday Night Project was a format copy. Different weekly star "host" who mucked in with comedy sketches and japes with the regular cast (well, Alan Carr and Justin Lee Collins), plus a band performance.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'll watch it if Justin Lee Collins is involved.

Noodle Lizard

They have a decent chance of managing it now that it's basically geared towards generating viral YouTube clips moreso than live broadcast. This is how Graham Norton's show has survived so long.

trabuch

Well if they can come up with something half as funny as the What up with that? series I'm all in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInUTLxGIRk

Pimhole

There is an opportunity for this to be quite good. If they recruited the cast from the new wave of sketch comedy troupes and improv troupes (people like Lazy Susan, the Delightful Sausage, Pappys, that sort of thing) - these kind of groups don't really have anywhere on TV to 'break through' because everything is more geared toward stand up. Plus there is now a quite experienced pool of TV comedy writers on things like New World Order and they're mostly stuck writing for panel shows and The Last Leg. Someone visionary could pull something good together out of quite a large pool of untapped talent.

But it's Sky so I won't hold my breath.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pimhole on December 11, 2021, 12:33:47 AMnew wave of sketch comedy troupes and improv troupes...Pappys
Much as I like Pappy's, their career is older than at least a few CaBbers (probably), and they've already been given a TV show which wasn't a success.

DrGreggles

Pappy's are great, but they're a live act - as are others you've mentioned.
The excitement of live gigs has never transferred to TV.