Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:39:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Nesmith has died

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, December 10, 2021, 08:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

What Am I Doing Hanging Round is just such a marvellous song, I can't describe. It's brilliant.

Tilt Araiza

An amazing moment of recorded sound

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That was poignant at the time, even more so now.

This really can't be overstated: Good Times! is a magnificent album. Who would've thought that, in 2016, The Monkees would release one of their greatest pieces of work? It's right up there with Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

I really like and dig this trippy raga–rock version of Circle Sky from the Micky Dolenz Sings Nesmith album.

SteveDave

That Monkee's gone to Heaven.

He was my favourite Monkee but I did walk out of the show he did at Union Chapel in 2012. 5-string bass, ponytails, synthesizers, loooooooooooong pre-written, intensely serious introductions featuring new context for each song. It didn't work and it was painful to be there. It's on YouTube if you were unlucky enough to miss it.

Attila

Quote from: SteveDave on December 13, 2021, 09:58:59 AMThat Monkee's gone to Heaven.

He was my favourite Monkee but I did walk out of the show he did at Union Chapel in 2012. 5-string bass, ponytails, synthesizers, loooooooooooong pre-written, intensely serious introductions featuring new context for each song. It didn't work and it was painful to be there. It's on YouTube if you were unlucky enough to miss it.

I was at that show! I bought a cof o'cuppy mug from his daughter who was working the merchandise table.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: the science eel on December 11, 2021, 12:44:48 PMIt's lovely. Big fan of that album, actually - their White Album?

'Writing Wrongs' is another that lifts my hat CLEAN ORFF! I don't care if they played on it or not, but fuck if it doesn't sound like 'European Son To Delmore Schwartz' in the middle section.

I only heard this album for the first time the other day and 'Writing Wrongs' really jumped out at me. Such an odd and fascinating track to follow 'Daydream Believer' with, perfectly placed at the end of side one, so it could be easily skipped if it wasn't your sort of thing (not that I ever would). I like the pick & mix aspect of the record, even though it lacks the cohesion of the previous two albums.

I rewatched Head for the first time in years and was happy to have it confirmed that Nes looks righteously cool as fuck in every shot. Despite the best efforts of Dolenz and Tork (those fantastic shirts!), Mike is the sharpest looking Monkee by miles.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on December 14, 2021, 01:15:35 PMDespite the best efforts of Dolenz and Tork (those fantastic shirts!), Mike is the sharpest looking Monkee by miles.

Regardless of clobber, I always thought he looked the coolest. Here he is hanging out (and possibly tripping balls if I had to guess) during the Beatles' recording session / 'happening' for A Day in the Life at Abbey Road in February 1967.

I've been listening to Pleasant Valley Sunday on a loop recently. It's just such a perfect 60's pop song. I know he didn't write it, but the guitar riff Nesmith plays is the highlight.*

* It never dawned on me until I read it on Wikipedia that the riff borrows from I Want To Tell You by yer George Harrison. File that under 'obvious musical things you've only just realised'.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 12, 2021, 02:08:23 AMThis really can't be overstated: Good Times! is a magnificent album. Who would've thought that, in 2016, The Monkees would release one of their greatest pieces of work? It's right up there with Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

You're not wrong. My hat still hasn't recovered from when I first heard Me & Magdalena (unaware that it was The Monkees) and then looked it up on Spotify.

the science eel

What's the greatest ever Monkees song then? 'Daydream Believer'?

Nowhere Man

I genuinely can't decide my fave between this lot:

Porpoise Song
The Girl I Knew Somewhere
Pleasant Valley Sunday
What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round?
The Door Into Summer
Me & Magdalena
As We Go Along

and while I do love Daydream Believer, I also seem to feel a stronger attachment to the Mike and Micky sung songs.

famethrowa

Randy Scouse Git would be up there. What a weird thing to release, let alone send to the top of the charts.

DrGreggles

You Just May Be The One would probably be mine, but Love Is Only Sleeping and Me & Magdalena are up there.

There's something about Dolenz harmonising with Nes that works for me.

Tilt Araiza

I made the mistake of reading some comments on a Nesmith obit. There are still people who think (I paraphrase) "Who takes the Monkees seriously? They were just bubblegum trash." is an opinion that reflects well on them. They've missed 50 years of conversation.

Egyptian Feast

I've seen a few of those joyless wankers around too. It's a shit opinion to express at any time, but especially now. As correctly noted on the previous page:

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 11, 2021, 11:15:26 PMYou'd have to suspect that anyone who didn't like The Monkees was a wrong 'un.

Quote from: Tilt Araiza on December 15, 2021, 09:30:36 PMI made the mistake of reading some comments on a Nesmith obit. There are still people who think (I paraphrase) "Who takes the Monkees seriously? They were just bubblegum trash." is an opinion that reflects well on them. They've missed 50 years of conversation.

Staggering, isn't it? As you say, I guess those people just haven't been paying attention. They're ignorant dullards.

Still, at least these days you're more likely to hear people praising The Monkees. The outpouring of affection for Jones, Tork and Nesmith when they each passed away was very touching, and it's gratifying to note that all the obits for Nes (well I haven't read them all) took him seriously as a musician. I mean, that's just an accepted fact isn't it? He was an immensely talented songwriter and a bona fide musical pioneer.

kalowski

Quote from: Nowhere Man on December 15, 2021, 01:18:59 AMI genuinely can't decide my fave between this lot:

Porpoise Song
The Girl I Knew Somewhere
Pleasant Valley Sunday
What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round?
The Door Into Summer
Me & Magdalena
As We Go Along

and while I do love Daydream Believer, I also seem to feel a stronger attachment to the Mike and Micky sung songs.
It is What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round?

IsavedLatin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 11, 2021, 07:38:19 PMYeah, he was a sharp-looking MF in his '60s pomp.

I tried my damndest to look like him when I was in my twenties. Don't think I carried it off, but at least I gave it a go.

I'm not sure he really carried it off either, Ballad -- those sideboards, I'm not convinced. And the hair very much reads "dad of that era, just before he balded completely in the 80s", but that may be very specific to me.

I am greatly enjoying everyone's recommendations here; I loved the Monkees because of the TV show as a kid, and had gleaned that there was more to them than just the TV show in the years since, but didn't have much detail. I am particularly heartened to know that Good Times! exists.

Brundle-Fly

This was another Andy Partridge song for Good Times that didn't quite make the final album (except the Japanese release)

Dr Rock

I love him in The Monkees and I love his solo stuff too. RIP Cool Fella.

Circle Sky is my favourite Monkees song. Head is my favourite movie

holdover

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 16, 2021, 09:54:13 AMHead is my favourite movie

Mine too. I was once at a horrible dinner party when I mentioned that and was told that Head wasn't a proper film.

:(

Dr Rock

It's an improper film

improper
/ɪmˈprɒpə/

adjective

1. not in accordance with accepted standards

Petey Pate

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 15, 2021, 11:32:21 PMStaggering, isn't it? As you say, I guess those people just haven't been paying attention. They're ignorant dullards.

Wouldn't be surprised if many of them based their opinion on The Monkees solely on this bit from The Simpsons.

famethrowa

Quote from: IsavedLatin on December 16, 2021, 08:06:50 AMI'm not sure he really carried it off either, Ballad -- those sideboards, I'm not convinced. And the hair very much reads "dad of that era, just before he balded completely in the 80s", but that may be very specific to me.

I prefer the 70s Rio-era look, he was very much doing the 70s beardo Andrew Gold/John Landis/Coppola thing

Quote from: IsavedLatin on December 16, 2021, 08:06:50 AMI'm not sure he really carried it off either, Ballad -- those sideboards, I'm not convinced. And the hair very much reads "dad of that era, just before he balded completely in the 80s", but that may be very specific to me.

Fair enough, but he looks pretty damn cool to me. The triangular sideboards are awesome, I dig his thick swoop of black hair (he started thinning on top in the '80s), and howzabout those shades and that sharp tailored suit? C.A.F.

Quote from: IsavedLatin on December 16, 2021, 08:06:50 AMI am greatly enjoying everyone's recommendations here; I loved the Monkees because of the TV show as a kid, and had gleaned that there was more to them than just the TV show in the years since, but didn't have much detail. I am particularly heartened to know that Good Times! exists.

That's lovely, it's never too late to start digging into the Monkee mine. You'll discover some amazing stuff (and some absoute dreck, but that's to be expected considering how insanely prolific they were). Enjoy!

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 17, 2021, 09:26:29 AMRIP Davy

He shook a mean maraca.

And he was a cute little fella, his teenybop appeal was an integral part of the whole Monkees phenomenon. But yeah, I know.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 17, 2021, 09:30:50 AMHe shook a mean maraca.

And he was a cute little fella, his teenybop appeal was key to the whole Monkees phenomenon.

You say that but his tambourine playing on this song ruins it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMPyyOQnOHo Just do another take lads.

I guess they just didn't have the heart to tell him. The Headquarters sessions must've been so boring for Are Davy.

kalowski

Quote from: SteveDave on December 17, 2021, 09:35:08 AMYou say that but his tambourine playing on this song ruins it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMPyyOQnOHo Just do another take lads.
Maybe, but the tambourine on Valerie is fantastic (probably a session musician).