Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:17:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Nesmith has died

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, December 10, 2021, 08:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 16, 2021, 12:04:21 PMWouldn't be surprised if many of them based their opinion on The Monkees solely on this bit from The Simpsons.

Possibly, but in my experience that is a pure BOOMER opinion. I well remember having it explained to me in the 90s by people in their 40s who'd almost certainly never seen Head - and on the other hand, I don't expect many people much younger than me (us?) have strong opinion on the matter, partly because - who cares about that stuff anymore*.

(* apart from those fucking youtube commenters who say things like "I'm 15 and I love this old music it's played on proper instruments ect ect")

SteveDave

I saw "Head" late one Friday night on a black and white portable TV. It blew my tiny mind. I did the Leonard DiCappucino meme point (before it was a thing) when Peter walked into the bathroom whistling "Strawberry Fields Forever"

DrGreggles

Head is a fucking amazing film.

SteveDave

I asked a question to Noel Gallagher via the Matt Morgan podcast about how/why he and Paul Weller wrote "Birth Of An Accidental Hipster" on "Good Times". It turns out it was a song that he and Weller were writing but thought wasn't good enough for either of them and didn't finish it. A friend of his from New York said that the Monkees were reforming and asking fans for new songs for their comeback album (Noelly says that he only likes "Daydream Believer" and "The Porpoise Song" though) so it was decided that they could have the song. He then says Micky Dolenz gave a quote to the press saying it was the best thing either of them had written in the last 20 years and then he called him a "monkey looking cunt"

Incidentally, Noel said it wasn't called "Birth Of An Accidental Hipster" when they were writing it. I'm presuming a lot of arranging was done as I don't see either he or Weller doing the rooty-tooty "High on rooftop singing a song..." bit.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

If Daydream Believer and Porpoise Song really are the only Monkees songs that Noel likes, then he's even more of an ignoramus than I already thought. Not because they're naff choices - on the contrary, they're both amazing songs - but because he's a man who's supposedly steeped in '60s pop 'n' rock, and yet he doesn't appreciate the brilliance of so much of the Monkees' output.

Didn't he once say that he doesn't like The Beach Boys? I mean, it's fair enough if you don't like The Beach Boys, but Noel is always banging on about his love of classic pop craftmanship. But he doesn't recognise any of that in the work of Brian Wilson? He's such a fucking idiot (Noel, not Brian).

Quote from: SteveDave on January 20, 2022, 09:50:58 AMHe then says Micky Dolenz gave a quote to the press saying it was the best thing either of them had written in the last 20 years and then he called him a "monkey looking cunt"

That's nice, isn't it? A real charmer, old Noely-pops.

Quote from: SteveDave on January 20, 2022, 09:50:58 AMI'm presuming a lot of arranging was done as I don't see either he or Weller doing the rooty-tooty "High on rooftop singing a song..." bit.

That occurred to me too, it doesn't sound like the sort of thing either of them would ever write. As you say, I suspect Schlesinger, Dolenz et al. had a hand in arranging those bouncy music hall bridges.