Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:01:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Marvellous Mrs Maisel

Started by Ja'moke, December 14, 2021, 09:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Why didn't anyone tell me this show is funny?! Like properly laugh out loud funny.

I just assumed it was another of these lightly amusing American comedy dramas that make for gentle background noise.

But no, it's full of jokes, and not just in the stand up scenes. In fact, the stand up scenes are probably the least funny parts of the show.

The family scenes are the best, especially anything to do with Midge's dad Abe, what a fantastic character.

I'm onto season three and it's still high quality at the moment. Great characters and dialogue and they really make every scene count, even short plot advancement scenes that in most shows are just there are filled with gags.

I also love the running gag that nobody gives a shit about the kids.

Gulftastic

I love it. As you say, funnier than it has any right to be. Also, the most gorgeous show on telly.

I've watched the first four episodes over the holidays, very enjoyable - I nabbed my sister's amazon password on xmas day so my mum could watch it too.

As above both sets of parents are very good.

zomgmouse

have loved the 3 seasons so far. mostly what hits for me is the family dynamic stuff though the industry side is also wonderful. very much comfort viewing for me

apparently season 4 coming in Feb 2022

Mr Trumpet

This kind of screwball comedy is very hard to pull off. Massive credit due to Rachel Brosnahan for not making Midge completely unlikeable and smug.

evilcommiedictator

It's a great watch for comedy fans, and then trying to figure out who is supposed to be who.
It's managing to show a bit of the oppressive attitudes for black people and women working, without locking it down and being too depressing. Although surely there would have been a lot more drug use going on.

timbis

I don't know why I've still not got round to this. I loved Gilmore Girls and the very short-lived Bunheads.
Amy Sherman-Palladino is fantastic at writing families. Very funny too.

dissolute ocelot

I watched most of the first series a while ago, and a lot of it is very clever, and a great cast. But I couldn't get around the fact that I didn't find her stand-up at all funny, although it's not the only series/film about stand-up comedy that I felt that (usually as with the Big Sick it's a lot easier to portray intentionally terrible stand-up than genuinely good stand-up). But I should really watch some more, because it's definitely a labour of love for those who care about that era and its culture.

Ja'moke

The stand up parts are definitely the weakest part of the show. Weak is probably the wrong word. But the character and family stuff is where the show shines.

I like your guy who plays Lenny Bruce. He played the lawyer in Rectify and was great in that too.

Season 5 starts on Amazon Prime April 14th with a three episode drop, this will be the final season.

Season 5 trailer

Best show on Amazon Prime for me, followed by Hacks - they should do more comedy dramas about female comedians.

jimboslice

I really enjoyed the first series of this, and I think I watched 2 and 3 but then stopped bothering BECAUSE THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH TELLY TO KEEP TRACK OF. Still decent then?

Quote from: jimboslice on April 05, 2023, 10:05:55 AMI really enjoyed the first series of this, and I think I watched 2 and 3 but then stopped bothering BECAUSE THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH TELLY TO KEEP TRACK OF. Still decent then?

Yeah, I like it - I didn't notice any discernible drop in quality, I think her parents are featured a bit more in later series and they're both very good.

Ja'moke

Really looking forward to this. And yes, the parents are the best part of the show.

Magnum Valentino

Just finished this - two of the actors from it were also in Succession which ALSO finished this weekend, trivia nerds!

Anyway I really enjoyed the last episode but the aging makeup this last season was the shits. I'd have cut that all out completely.

Surprised there's not more talk about it around here as a comedy about comedy but it's well worth checking out I'd say.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 30, 2023, 11:07:18 PMJust finished this - two of the actors from it were also in Succession which ALSO finished this weekend, trivia nerds!

I noticed that too, Frank & Willa.

I'm also surprised at the lack of interest here, all 5 seasons have been consistently excellent, as has the writing and performances.

Gulftastic

Tony Shaloub was amazing at times. Really sorry its ended.

steveh

Have watched this through to the end but found it a really variable show. There are some terrific episodes but too many also that just plod along not really doing much. For anyone watching from the start I'd recommend skipping past the season set at the summer camp.

Other thread on it: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=70572.0.

Magnum Valentino

God that summer camp thing, and the Paris episodes round about the same time, just felt like it went on forever

Bartholomew J Krishna

Mrs Krishna loved this and was sad that it ended.
I gave up quite early because putting real people in fictional drama annoys me. (Just make someone up! You made everybody else up!)
It also reminded me too much of this -