Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeff Garlin Fired from 'The Goldbergs'

Started by Satchmo Distel, December 16, 2021, 10:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nehamkin

The Mollusk

Mobius

Yeah seems like he thinks it's Curb. I'm sure Larry and Richard find that sort of thing alright.

And it sounds like his behaviour was worse than just saying vagina to no one in particular

"According to a source on the show, a camera assistant made a complaint to her department head about Garlin's use of the word. After the actor found out, he reportedly put his hands around her and kept saying "vagina" in her face over and over again. Overall, Garlin's go-to jokes that a number of people on the show found offensive were talking about grandma's vagina, balls and brassier, a co-worker said.Additionally, he would not address some longtime female crew members by name, using instead nicknames that some also considered offensive.

According to an eyewitness of the incident, Garlin did not appear to be joking as he walked behind the female stand-in. "He screamed at her, 'why are you always in my way? Get the fck out of my way' as she was walking down the ramp on the set after they had done blocking for a scene. She was confused and looked around." Garlin then turned to the woman's husband,, saying, "tell your wife to get the fck out of my way"

shoulders

Presume there was more to it than standing on a sofa swearing.

Edit. Ah yes, see above.

But still urgh, christ, the competitive moralising in the comments.

JamesTC

BeardFaceMan

I'm not surprised after that Vanity Fair interview.

The Mollusk

BritishHobo

Aw, fuck's sake. Why does everyone I love turn to bell-ends?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fucking hell.

The Curb episode in which he's mistaken for Weinstein now takes upon a more sinister light.

PammySpacek

Probably used "cunt" instead of "vagina".

QuoteAfter the actor found out, he reportedly put his hands around her and kept saying "vagina" in her face over and over again.

Also I'm fed up with American comedians pretending jokes are being made illegal or something. Get a grip, you weird bellends.

Barry Admin

The stuff posted by Mobius is particularly disgusting. I'm glad he's been fired, and I hope this means we're finally starting to get to an era where this kind of sexist bullshit is absolutely forbidden, instead of just laughed off. Imagine that lumbering cunt grabbing you and bellowing "vagina" in your face over and over... Fuck sake.

BritishHobo

Yeah that's proper grim, that bit. And then in the interview quote in that tweet Satchmo linked he's calling it 'silliness'. Fuck off mate.

GMTV

Sounds like a bit of a cunt got his comeuppance.

Also NINE fucking seasons of the goldbergs?!! I had no idea it was still going, or how long it had been around for. I remember watching the first couple of seasons on e4 (I think), enjoying it but being fairly certain it had run its course. Particularly with it being about a specific time period and age of the main Goldberg laddie.

The utter arrogance of the dad swanning around bullying people whilst being incredibly fortunate to have been on that programme for so long presumably raking it in.

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 17, 2021, 09:29:01 AMImagine that lumbering cunt grabbing you and bellowing "vagina" in your face over and over... Fuck sake.

Chris Cunningham considers rewrite.

dissolute ocelot

Who'd have thought a man who spent 9 years sitting in a TV studio in his underpants would be a bit dodgy?

I've a soft spot for the Goldbergs, although it's definitely past its sell-by date and cancellation would be the kindest thing. And indefensible behaviour: a lot of men get indulged for this sort of shit when it's bullying not being a character.

Pimhole

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 17, 2021, 09:29:01 AMImagine that lumbering cunt grabbing you and bellowing "vagina" in your face over and over...

George Orwell considers rewrite

druss

Just want to be able to shout vagina in women's faces again, like the good old days.

mippy

Quote from: GMTV on December 17, 2021, 10:03:33 AMSounds like a bit of a cunt got his comeuppance.

Also NINE fucking seasons of the goldbergs?!! I had no idea it was still going, or how long it had been around for. I remember watching the first couple of seasons on e4 (I think), enjoying it but being fairly certain it had run its course. Particularly with it being about a specific time period and age of the main Goldberg laddie.

The utter arrogance of the dad swanning around bullying people whilst being incredibly fortunate to have been on that programme for so long presumably raking it in.

Young Sheldon is on season 5 now.

The Goldbergs has a kind of floating timeline, with each episode being described as being in 'nineteen eighty-something', but it doesn't really work when specific pop culture events like film releases are part of the plot.

The Mollusk

Quote from: GMTV on December 17, 2021, 10:03:33 AMThe utter arrogance of the dad swanning around bullying people whilst being incredibly fortunate to have been on that programme for so long presumably raking it in.

Also essentially calling the show trash in the linked interview as well, lol. Fucking tit. By those admissions anyone in a job they don't like or find boring should be able to walk about being loud and inappropriate whenever they have a spare moment, instead of nipping out for a cig or looking at owls on Instagram or whatever like normal people do.

Mobius

Yeah, his earlier interviews daring the show to fire him are pathetic.

I knew that outside of Curb, AD, he wasn't particularly funny, having heard him on a few podcasts. But it's disappointing to hear he's such a piece of shit on top of that. Like actually doing Curb Jeff "vagina!" shit? Fucking hell what a tit.

the Fallen

How could you, Jeff
How could you, Sony Human Resources

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Garlin, from his various appearances on podcasts and whatnot, has always struck me as the sort of loud person who would just drive you nuts if you ever found yourself in his company. Hard work.

But I always assumed that he was basically a harmless buffoon. Turns out he's a nasty, bullying, abusive, sexist prick. So he can fuck right off.

druss

Never found him remotely funny outside Curb. Even in Curb, he's fine, but I doubt he'd make many people's top 5 funniest characters from the show.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: druss on December 17, 2021, 02:31:23 PMNever found him remotely funny outside Curb. Even in Curb, he's fine, but I doubt he'd make many people's top 5 funniest characters from the show.

The only reason he's good in Curb is because he only knows one improv trick, and that's to repeat what the other person just said to you, and he's usually surrounded by very funny people. Good comic actor, bad comedian, terrible improviser.

thr0b

Quote from: druss on December 17, 2021, 02:31:23 PMNever found him remotely funny outside Curb. Even in Curb, he's fine, but I doubt he'd make many people's top 5 funniest characters from the show.

Larry's straight-man, and a necessary character for Suzie to remain in Larry's life. A role depleted a little anyway once Leon was added.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: mippy on December 17, 2021, 11:33:43 AMYoung Sheldon is on season 5 now.

The Goldbergs has a kind of floating timeline, with each episode being described as being in 'nineteen eighty-something', but it doesn't really work when specific pop culture events like film releases are part of the plot.
The Goldbergs' timeline worked when it was just about kids in lots of randomly-ordered 80s situations and wacky Halloween costumes and it was like the eternal summer of your memories. But not 9 years of it, not with half the family going to college and possibly graduating by now. Adam's gone from being 11 at the start to his final year of high school (17 or 18 years old? I'm not quite sure how that fits over 9 seasons.)

It survived George Segal dying and the cancellation of spin-off Schooled after 2 seasons. Surely nobody wants to see Adam at college having sex in a Ghostbusters t-shirt.

Icehaven

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 17, 2021, 05:10:41 PMThe Goldbergs' timeline worked when it was just about kids in lots of randomly-ordered 80s situations and wacky Halloween costumes and it was like the eternal summer of your memories. But not 9 years of it, not with half the family going to college and possibly graduating by now. Adam's gone from being 11 at the start to his final year of high school (17 or 18 years old? I'm not quite sure how that fits over 9 seasons.)

It survived George Segal dying and the cancellation of spin-off Schooled after 2 seasons. Surely nobody wants to see Adam at college having sex in a Ghostbusters t-shirt.

Yep I still really like it but it's got to be on borrowed time now. They even made a joke in the trailer for the last series on E4 about Adam being older now. Unless the whole focus shifts I think it's approaching done.

Malcy

I have a ticket to see him live next year. Would a link to this be a good enough refund request?

If it goes ahead I'll go though. I don't give a shit.