Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:39:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disco and Funk and Soul and Boogie (Music Thread)

Started by chutnut, December 17, 2021, 10:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Quite enjoying these:

Juggy Murray Jones - Inside America Pt.1

Andrew White - Who Got De Funk?

monkfromhavana

Enjoying this this evening

Doug Hammond & David Durrah - Fidalgo Detour

monkfromhavana

A nice steady funky disco number

Goody Goody - It Looks Like Love

Sebastian Cobb

We allowed to widen the scope of this to freestyle as well 'cos it seems adjacent and I'm getting quite intrigued by it.

Harry Badger

This is probably the only disco song that has brought me to unironic tears. Recorded a few months after the accident. 

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 30, 2022, 11:22:50 PMWe allowed to widen the scope of this to freestyle as well 'cos it seems adjacent and I'm getting quite intrigued by it.

I like a bit of freestyle, so much to wade through to find the good'uns and I've forgotton all those - there was some good lists on Discogs IIRC

The Mollusk

Picked up a copy of James Brown's The Payback today as it dawned on me I've never paid any full attention to the dude's music beyond casually overhearing the hits. God damn this is some hot shit!

Petey Pate

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 26, 2022, 07:09:40 PMPicked up a copy of James Brown's The Payback today as it dawned on me I've never paid any full attention to the dude's music beyond casually overhearing the hits. God damn this is some hot shit!

VIBES...

VIBRATION...

Brown's output from roughly 1967 to 1973 is some of the best music ever recorded in my book. In that I'd include The J.B.'s and the rest of the 'funky people'. That said, I tend to stick to live recordings and compilations with Brown but Payback is definitely one of his more consistently great albums.

The Mollusk

I was cooking a huge pie when listening to this but I could swear in one of the later tracks he calls out the "JBE experience" even though the E already stands for experience. It was like the Delocated episode where Jon tries to start his own jeans business called JJ's Jeans. Jon's Jeans Jeans.

Petey Pate

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 26, 2022, 08:07:01 PMI was cooking a huge pie when listening to this but I could swear in one of the later tracks he calls out the "JBE experience" even though the E already stands for experience. It was like the Delocated episode where Jon tries to start his own jeans business called JJ's Jeans. Jon's Jeans Jeans.

This makes me wish that James Brown could have done versions of all of Jon's songs from Delocated.

I! AM HAVING A GOOD TIME! HUH!

WE GONNA HAVE A MEAT SUITE MARATHON. MEAT SUITE MARATHON. MEAT SUITE MARATHON. TONIGHT!

SHALL WE TAKE THEM TO THE BONE ZONE? (YEAH!) WE GONNA GO TO THE BONE ZONE? (YEAH!) BONE ZONE!

The Mollusk

KNOCK KNOCK! WHO'S THERE! HUH, GOOD GOD!

SKINS! BABY LET 'EM IN! WAAAOOWWW

YOU MAKE ME WANNA FRRT BABY

non capisco

Wish there was a James Brown song called 'This Is James He Does It'.

The Mollusk

I don't think even Mighty Joe John would green light a song with that title.

monkfromhavana

Enjoying this one today as I pretend to work

Change - A Lover's Holiday

One from ex-Funkadelic drummer Jerome Brailey's band Mutiny. The first track 'Lump' is one massive diss at George Clinton, apparently. Also appears on the soundtrack to Friedkin's film 'Cruising'.

SpiderChrist

monkfromhavana

Never heard this one before, but I'm greatly enjoying it

Dynasty - Adventures In The Land Of Music

Good Hank

Hope this thread is not too sniffy to include a bit of Brit-funk.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Good Hank on August 30, 2023, 08:11:33 PMHope this thread is not too sniffy to include a bit of Brit-funk.

I think all is welcome.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: Good Hank on August 30, 2023, 08:11:33 PMHope this thread is not too sniffy to include a bit of Brit-funk.

I'll start with the obvious.

With amazing bonus dance moves making up for the dodgy audio.

and here it is with better quality audio.

Here's a Brit-Funk inspired (to my ears anyway) modern take.

Crabwalk

That GALXTC track is fantastic. Shame you need to drop fifty notes for a copy now. Seems like like the true identity of the artist is under wraps but they're French - I wonder who it is? It's been a couple of years since that one-off release and no word that I can find...

Nice bit of Brit jazz-funk/disco

monkfromhavana

Digging this one this afternoon

D.C. LaRue - Cathedrals

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 15, 2023, 04:52:03 PMDigging this one this afternoon

D.C. LaRue - Cathedrals

Classic :)

Putting 2+2 together I reckon you've been listening to this too.