Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:12:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can Eric Clapton get any worse?

Started by cosmic-hearse, December 17, 2021, 10:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Put me down as another one who was pretty much ignoring Cream purely because I thought it was a Clapton centered group. Did he just very cynically place himself as being great or was it just people tended to assume the guitarist was the star in those acts?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 18, 2021, 04:03:36 PMDid he just very cynically place himself as being great or was it just people tended to assume the guitarist was the star in those acts?

He did have quite a lofty reputation back then, so it wasn't just his ego telling him he was one of the greats. People were spraying 'Clapton Is God' graffiti around London in the mid-Sixties. I wonder when was the last time someone sprayed that on a wall? Maybe around the time Jimi showed up and made false idols like Clappers look a bit less godlike.

wosl

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on December 18, 2021, 04:15:23 PMI wonder when was the last time someone sprayed that on a wall? Maybe around the time Jimi showed up and made false idols like Clappers look a bit less godlike.
Or once Peter Green had taken over from him in the Bluesbreakers.

daf

QuoteAndy Partridge : "I didn't so much admire Eric Clapton. I thought he was the master of the cliche, to be frank. There's a certain facileness to his playing -- it was like, "This is the accepted way of approaching this." I don't know, it never took me. It never grabbed me. But people like Rory Gallagher and Jimi Hendrix grabbed me, because they took the guitar into different places.

But Ollie Halsall's guitar playing didn't sound like guitar -- it sounded more like Jazz piano or saxophone. He didn't stick with the corny Blues Box -- because, you realize that this Blues Box must be corny if everyone's using it. It's a very common currency. Eric Clapton never broke out of that -- that's all he does, is the Blues Box. But Ollie Halshall was smashing this, left, right and center, and I realized that he was playing notes that aren't in the scale!"

"the blues box"

Pauline Walnuts

Alan Partridge :
Quote from: Alan PartridgeHe's only the guitarist Jimi Hendrix could have been

SpiderChrist

I went out with a girl once (no, I did) and we had a massive row after she put on some Clapton as shagging music. Can you imagine trying to maintain an erection while listening to I Gotta Rock'n'Roll Heart? That's suburban Surrey for you, I suppose.

Anyway - Clapton = nasty horrible racist petty little cunt who makes absolute dogshit music for other cunts.

Midas

Uncle TechTip

He just chuckles and smiles
Laughs like a mad man
A born-again Rachman
Here comes
ERIC CLAPTON

Kankurette

idunnosomename

well he's only born 45. peak boomer. could go on another decade easily

Egyptian Feast

His concept album about the rag he uses to wipe himself off every time he rereads the Rivers Of Blood speech.

Key

I wanna know how does he square his hatred of black people with his love of black people playing the guitar and singing?

jobotic

Remember when he sent that racist abuse to Phil Collin's ex-wife by fax? And Billy Bragg remained silent.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 18, 2021, 02:24:04 PMI guess she should have ignored the letter? And fuck the judge for claiming it damages the recording industry. Why dont you penalise Spotify corp instead?

All the 'home taping is killing music' shite the industry used to come out with, but now artists are not making money but someone else is, it's all fine.

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on December 21, 2021, 09:46:33 AMRemember when he sent that racist abuse to Phil Collin's ex-wife by fax?

The amount of boomer-energy in this sentence could power a nuclear submarine.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ferris on December 21, 2021, 05:05:14 PMThe amount of boomer-energy in this sentence could power a nuclear submarine.

In which Thomas Dolby would probably build a music studio

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Goldentony on December 18, 2021, 01:45:34 AMeven Anal Cunt hated this prick

And they're usually so chilled out

I've only ever heard Eric say nice things about them

lipsink

He spent years and years trying to fire into Patti Boyd and when she eventually said yes to him and left George Harrison he cheated on her. Nice tunes though.

Glebe

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 21, 2021, 10:39:15 PMIn which Thomas Dolby would probably build a music studio

"He blinded me with bigotry!"

wrec

Quote from: lipsink on December 21, 2021, 10:52:48 PMHe spent years and years trying to fire into Patti Boyd and when she eventually said yes to him and left George Harrison he cheated on her.

There's a bit in Scorcese's Harrison documentary where Clapton is trying to explain what a decent guy George was. He describes telling him he wanted to get together with Patti Boyd and George replying, "just take her, man". Who knows if George put it like that (I don't buy George being a saint as he's often portrayed), but it's a really jarring moment.

Natnar

I was always baffled by Harrison's friendship with Clapton since they seemed total opposites.

poodlefaker

It's no excuse, but he did have a pretty batshit childhood. Finding out at the age of 16 that his "parents" were actually his grandparents and his "big sister" was his mum screwed him up pretty badly for a few years.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 22, 2021, 10:45:31 AMIt's no excuse, but he did have a pretty batshit childhood. Finding out at the age of 16 that his "parents" were actually his grandparents and his "big sister" was his mum screwed him up pretty badly for a few years.

GOOD

mothman

Same thing happened to Jack Nicholson but he didn't turn into a monstrous cunt.

idunnosomename

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 21, 2021, 10:46:48 PMAnd they're usually so chilled out

I've only ever heard Eric say nice things about them
the exceptional thing about clapton for A.C. is that they censored the name of "Connor Clapton committed suicide because his father sucks" to "your kid committed suicide because you suck", because it came out on UK label Earache and the label were afraid that they'd get sued by him for libel if it was printed on the back.

I have looked and looked but i cant find if the lyrics were printed in the CD liners. I assume so as who the fuck could be bothered to transcribe Seth Putnam. Here they are

Spoiler alert
Eric Clapton sucks
Eric Clapton sucks
Eric Clapton's gay
And he's fucking gay

Your father is the 4th worst singer
After Springsteen, Seger and Petty
You were sick of his gay fucking songs
So you jumped out a really high up window

Eric Clapton sucks
Eric Clapton sucks
Eric Clapton's gay
And he's fucking gay

Your father sucks so fucking bad
You knew you'd get beaten up at school
You were sick of hearing "You Look Wonderful Tonight"
So you jumped out a really high up window

Sometimes I wish you didn't die
Because I hate the song "Tears in Heaven"
I was glad you died, until I heard that song
And Kevin Sharp is gay
[close]

Although in the end it was Seth's obsession with Hitler and wanting do a whole album about him that got Earache to drop them. Oh and nowhere would stock their records and consequently nobody bought them.

Still, better than Eric Clapton. Even though theyre all dead now.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mothman on December 22, 2021, 10:51:32 AMSame thing happened to Jack Nicholson but he didn't turn into a monstrous cunt.
Same thing happened to Bobby Darrin and then he turned into Kevin Spacey.

mothman

Paul Calf

Hang on, this is ONE CD? I thought she was copying and marketing it.

Fucking hell.

Goldentony

I don't agree with anything Anal Cunt said, believed in or similar but they are 100% right about Eirc Clapton and a better band than Cream