Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Melancholy trumpets

Started by Catalogue of ills, December 18, 2021, 03:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue of ills

A mournful, achingly sad trumpet. Can't beat it can you? Thing is, they seem to crop up mostly in jazz, particularly the 50s - 70s era, and I'm just not very knowledgeable about jazz, so it's only by luck that I hear something with melancholy trumpets on it, often on 6 Music on Saturdays. So, go on and recommend me stuff (please).

jobotic

Johnny Foreigner

mothman

I feel like there's something I'm thinking of that fits the bill, but I can't quite remember what it is. It'll probably turn out to be blindingly obvious and/or something you know and loathe.

(personally, I love a distant, echoey piano like in 10CC's "I'm Not In love")

Twit 2

David Sylvian - Let the Happiness In

Paolo Fresu - Teardrop

kidney

American Football - The One With The Wurlitzer

Glebe

I'm no expert in regard to melancholy trumpets but here's my pleb suggestions:

Campbell Soupe

Terry Edwards did some nice mournful stuff with Tindersticks...

homesickalien

Air - Ce Matin Là

Its not trumpet but trombone (I think?) but always liked this track and the album

Magnum Valentino

Can't link from phone (sorry) but Miles Davis' "White" (from the album Aura) fits the bill here.

PlanktonSideburns

Blue Nile I walk across the rooftops

The Mollusk

Gonna be That Guy and mention the ending of "Oh Comely" by Neutral Milk Hotel

IT'S REALLY GOOD

Geoffs~Cape

This destroys me every time:

Written and composed by Axelrod about the untimely death of his son (which I remember reading an interview where he explains how he feels responsible) that lead trumpet line by Oscar Brashear just moans with pain, sadness and regret. And as for Lou Rawls vocal, "Rest in peace and when asked, say here lies a man's best work. Loved boy. Loved boy. Loved boy". Fuck. Tears welling up typing that out.

Sadly that's not a great recording of it but seems to be the only one on YouTube.

maett

Norton Canes

greenman

One of the most obvious rock examples...

TheMonk

The masters were Bacharach & David.
Wishing' & Hopin', What The World Needs Now, This Guy's In Love With You to name a few.
Nice to see Bacharach bring it back with that very good album he did with Elvis Costello, Painted From Memory. God Give Me Strength, Toledo... some great songs on that album with some tasty melancholy trumpet.

Crenners

Something a little different but this is one of my favourite deep house tracks from the early 2000s by Presence aka Charles Webster. It was only ever an album track but it's got such a melancholic yet warm and hopeful feel to it. It really reminds me of being young, away from home, lost in the world in many ways, but surrounded by friends and opportunity.

SweetPomPom

Chet Baker, doing his thing on Costello's version of Shipbuilding.

https://youtu.be/pIzcqfvi8RI

Video Game Fan 2000

Love, "Alone Again Or" (naturally)

Lovely melancholy trumpet solo at 1:48.

Rizla

maett

Trumpet in there melanchonostalgic

VelourSpirit

Quote from: kidney on December 18, 2021, 06:41:19 PMAmerican Football - The One With The Wurlitzer
I came in here to post an American Football song too

shagatha crustie

non capisco

Not even sure if the trumpet even qualifies as melancholy but any excuse to post this belter.

Ascent

Muted trumpet really does it for me.