Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:19:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy in Children's TV/Cartoons

Started by shlug, December 18, 2021, 10:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on December 18, 2021, 10:20:11 PMEd, Edd n' Eddy was what first jumped to mind, too. My mum disliked me watching it, because while none of it was offensive, there was a grubbiness to it that appealed to 9-year-old me. It holds up well too, by lurching between Rik Mayall-esque fights that real crunch to them and gungy kids humour.

According to Wikipedia it ran from 1999-2009.  So by my calculations you are now 13 years old.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Replies From View on December 26, 2021, 12:03:48 PMAccording to Wikipedia it ran from 1999-2009.  So by my calculations you are now 13 years old.

I'm very mature for my age.

Glyn

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 23, 2021, 03:02:09 PMI liked Dick & Dom too, I was far too old to enjoy "bogies" as much as I did.

The Diddy TV and Horrible Histories (original cast) Xmas specials were the highlight of Christmas Day telly for me yesterday.

Glebe

Fellow '80s kids may remember Gilbert the alien, voiced by Phil Cornwell. Featured on Get Fresh before getting his own show (which featured The Pogues' 'The Wildcats of Kilkenny' as it's theme tune):

The Lurker

Sorry I've Got No Head is a good shout. Don't get me wrong, there were some very poor sketches but when they got it right, it was brilliant. The thousand pound ladies, the French foreign exchange student, the witch finder general and North Barasay high school sketches were particular joys.

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody had some good one liners in it. From memory though, the twins in it couldn't act.

thr0b

Keep an eye out for Gumball on Cartoon Network. It's finished production now, (other than a film), but it's constantly inventive, stupid in the right ways, clever in others, and an endearing blend of British and American writing.

Also, the news show within it is heavily based on The Day Today, right down to the theme tune.

And of course, Teen Titans Go. The best use of DC IP in years. And the musical specials use a logo very clearly inspired by 1970s TOTP.

Cartoon Network doesn't have many shows, preferring loops of the same few shows, but doesn't matter when they're this good.

Thosworth

Subtle visual gag the animators added to an early episode of Peppa Pig: Peppa 'types an email' on her mother's unattended computer, and as she does so the dotted lines representing words get shorter and shorter.

The Mollusk

No mention of Phineas and Ferb yet? I caught a handful of episodes a few years when my younger brothers were watching it and thought it was fuckin great.

thr0b

Genuinely cackled the first time I saw this scene.

Pink Gregory

Something about that stilted child voice acting makes it really, really funny.  Like children obviously trying to sound grown-up.

Quote from: The Lurker on December 26, 2021, 06:26:01 PMThe Suite Life of Zack and Cody had some good one liners in it. From memory though, the twins in it couldn't act.

Drake & Josh from that era was pretty good too, especially good performance from Miranda Cosgrove.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on December 26, 2021, 04:03:25 PMFellow '80s kids may remember Gilbert the alien, voiced by Phil Cornwell. Featured on Get Fresh before getting his own show (which featured The Pogues' 'The Wildcats of Kilkenny' as it's theme tune):

Imagine being in the studio with him.  He must have absolutely stunk of industrial strength Boglins.

jobotic

Working in a public library when Dick n Dom were shouting bogies was fairly tedious but I must admit to laughing out loud the first time some youth shouted into his phone "I'm in the library. Yeah it's fucking well boring", which may have been paraphrasing Dom Joly.

pigamus

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 26, 2021, 07:47:59 PMSomething about that stilted child voice acting makes it really, really funny.  Like children obviously trying to sound grown-up.

The way she says "It's impossible" with all the weight of the world on her shoulders

idunnosomename

The "you put your lips together and blow" line instantly reminded me of this in a weird circuitous way

Dont get me wrong the timing on her cold hanging up is hilarious

Noodle Lizard

Horrible Histories is almost definitely made more for grown-ups than its suggested demographic. Or, at least, I like it more than my stepson does.

Glebe

I'm not sure how common this knowledge is, but it's a Lauren Bacall line from To Have Or To Have Not

Glebe

How could I forget the Ralph Bakshi produced Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures? There was one where they did a Scooby-Doo parody:

madhair60

Quote from: Thosworth on December 26, 2021, 07:02:42 PMSubtle visual gag the animators added to an early episode of Peppa Pig: Peppa 'types an email' on her mother's unattended computer, and as she does so the dotted lines representing words get shorter and shorter.

I don't get it

idunnosomename

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 27, 2021, 08:23:23 PMI'm not sure how common this knowledge is, but it's a Lauren Bacall line from To Have Or To Have Not

yeah i know that for the Far Side, I'm not sure if the Peppa Pig script was referencing it. possibly unconsciously. i mean even if it is, no harm done. although it is a double entendre for a blowjob

(and I don't think the film is THAT common knowledge, because the file name of my link is Cascablanca)

shlug

Might be slightly cruel now but there used to be a kind of jungle-themed Crystal Maze type show on CITV called Jungle Run. On the final challenge they had to steal some monkey idol before the cave door shut on them but I'm ashamed to finding the kids getting trapped inside the cave far funnier than I should've.

Conversely was the legendary Raven which as far as those children's Fort Boyard-esque shows go was far too good for what it should've been. The whole serious tone of the show for what was basically an outdoor activity centre, LARPing and garishly over the top special effects actually managed to hold up pretty well. I was genuinely gutted when one of them would fail the Way of the Warrior.

Captain Z

Fairly Odd Parents was a very enjoyable cartoon for me aged 20 or so.

Another shout for The Amelia Gething Complex. Talulah, really! does a much better job of describing it than I ever could, but I can't imagine any other modern sketch show doing a better John Lewis ad parody than theirs.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=86000.0

PowerButchi

Absolutely anything involving Sweep is gold Jerry, gold!

When he kept having recurring dreams about appearing on Stars in their Eyes was pant wettingly superb, which had bonus Jack Dee in the episode. Only usurped by his family reunion.

idunnosomename

There is a Stars in Your Eyes where Sweep squeaks Nessun Dorma

Can't believe I forgot Fairly Oddparents. Went on far too long but very funny early seasons. Butch Hartmann another cartoon guy gone conservative bananas though. Ah well. At least he's not John K.

holyzombiejesus

The Hey Duggie! penpals episode is funny. I don't generally like it as some of the jokes seemed aimed at the kind of people who hang round Chorlton thinking of themselves as crate diggers and talking about deep cuts, but the Pen Pal badge episode really makes me laugh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00039yf/hey-duggee-series-3-7-the-pen-pal-badge

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on December 27, 2021, 09:35:54 PMI don't get it

It's because the words represent little beads of spunk and they are evaporating.

It makes more sense in context, as the prior scene shows all the adult males in Peppa's town jizzing everywhere while Peppa's mum is failing to catch the droplets in her mouth as per the (then contemporary) Peppa Pig Tiger Electronics game.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 28, 2021, 02:05:22 PMThe Hey Duggie! penpals episode is funny. I don't generally like it as some of the jokes seemed aimed at the kind of people who hang round Chorlton thinking of themselves as crate diggers and talking about deep cuts, but the Pen Pal badge episode really makes me laugh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00039yf/hey-duggee-series-3-7-the-pen-pal-badge

I like Hey Duggee an awful lot but I don't find it particularly funny. I think adults like it because it contains lots of references to stuff they know, rather than actual gags. It feels a bit cynical to me - pop an Adam & Joe reference in to get holyzombiejesus's Chorlton parents recommending it to other Chorlton parents.

But Peppa's fucking hilarious.

Magnum Valentino

The references in Hey Duggee don't make me laugh but are references supposed to?

What makes me laugh is the sledgehammer way Roly delivers his lines and quite a few of Morgana's and Lucy Montgomery's performances.

And it has plenty of gags. You're obviously not watching the recommended 5+ hours a day Wayman.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on December 28, 2021, 08:56:51 PMThe references in Hey Duggee don't make me laugh but are references supposed to?

What makes me laugh is the sledgehammer way Roly delivers his lines and quite a few of Morgana's and Lucy Montgomery's performances.

And it has plenty of gags. You're obviously not watching the recommended 5+ hours a day Wayman.

Ha! I watch 6+ hours a day, which might be the problem - I know every line, so the jokes aren't funny any more.

You're right about Roly though. And does Morgana voice the panda? She's great.

And don't get me wrong - I bloody love Hey Duggee, but it doesn't make me laugh out loud like Peppa does. Peppa's properly chaotic and irreverent, and the characters are all proper bastards.