Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:53:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Louis CK special - "Sorry"

Started by dirkgonnadirk, December 18, 2021, 11:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Welcome back, disgraced wankbeast. All is forgiven.

Fucking hell.

The Mollusk

I'm fucking done with this cesspool of a planet, jesus christ

BeardFaceMan

But poor Louie has suffered so much, look at everything he had taken away from... oh.

Pimhole

My heart goes out to his victims. The original trauma of his sexual abuse and derailing their careers. Then having to relive that trauma by going public. Then the secondary trauma of the absolute scum of the earth calling them liars and laughing at them all over the internet, which CK did nothing to assuage. And now this.

Fuck him, fuck the Grammys, fuck everyone involved in this.

jobotic

Uncle TechTip

Who gives a fuck about a goddamn Grammy?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 04, 2022, 09:52:52 AMWho gives a fuck about a goddamn Grammy?

Hardly the point though is it?

Memorex MP3

Dave Chappelle's last special is highly likely to win next year's Grammys (came out after the 2022 awards eligibility period).

It's a fairly bizarre outlier at those awards, isn't it? Is it music execs voting on it or what? That would've made sense decades ago I guess.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 04, 2022, 10:05:38 AMHardly the point though is it?

Just a Public Enemy reference. I knew I should have added "for clarity, not me after this incident"

Video Game Fan 2000

The success of a multimillionaire who is infamous for being well connected with many famous friends, proves there is nothing shit going on with social media.

I can't be the only one who's skeeved by people using this immediately to push centrist talking points and drawing lines between it whatever else is in their heads. Is this really what it should look like when we're putting the victims first? Is this the enlightened post-2017 way of talking about sexual assault? There's something really fucking nasty about this. So many articles already. Let's keep staring. Here's how it connects to the Will Smith slap. He are some reactions from twitter accounts with less than fifty followers. Blegh. I need a shower. I regret posting my opinions on CK in this thread or talking about it at all, the only winning move is not to get drawn into the cauldron of slime.

Famous Mortimer

What an absolute fucking disgrace this is. Who votes for this?

up_the_hampipe

Aside from the obvious reasons that he shouldn't have even been included, 'Sincerely' was pretty mediocre.

lipsink

You think he had a wank to celebrate?

JamesTC

Congrats big man! Have a good old wank to celebrate!

ajsmith2

Depressing comment from the latest Andrew Lawrence video defending LCK.

'I have never heard of him, but if he upsets and pokes the Woke, he's ok with me ...;

:( that's all he and his work means now, just another recruit in the culture wars. Good man to have on the team, another few beans on the abacus over on our side.

It's hard to feel any sympathy for the man himself, but it's fucking bleak to take a step back and see that that's all comedy and the people practicing it reads as to so many people, particularly acute when it's regarding someone who was such a self styled auteur once upon a time.

Joe Qunt

Just watched it, it was very good!

Memorex MP3

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 05, 2022, 04:56:06 PMDepressing comment from the latest Andrew Lawrence video defending LCK.

'I have never heard of him, but if he upsets and pokes the Woke, he's ok with me ...;

:( that's all he and his work means now, just another recruit in the culture wars. Good man to have on the team, another few beans on the abacus over on our side.

It's hard to feel any sympathy for the man himself, but it's fucking bleak to take a step back and see that that's all comedy and the people practicing it reads as to so many people, particularly acute when it's regarding someone who was such a self styled auteur once upon a time.
On the basis of CK's time where he could get funding for anything he dreamt of, you'd have to imagine having people like that on side is just salt in the wound. Like, there's no way he doesn't think people like that are anything other cretins? The more they glom on to him the more impossible it becomes for him to ever make any kind of recovery in terms of respectability, stuck performing to crowds where it's probably impossible to ever refine your act in front of because they're just there for affirmation.

up_the_hampipe

Jen Kirkman, who had a story about a famous comedian who many thought was Louis CK (before the allegations came out), has now told the entire story and named him https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/04/05/50482/jen-kirkman-the-day-louis-ck-tried-to-show-me-his-penis

Strange guy.

BritishHobo

Absolutely fucked the way that these female comedians have had to spend years accused of being liars, and got absolutely fuck-all apology when CK finally admitted it was true. Just vague, nebulous bullshit from him, and no recognition of the fact that, on top of the disgusting behaviour in the first place, he'd been happily sitting by watching them be smeared for accusing him of things he fully accepted he had done. Cunt coward.

Aw, man. Her thinking he was running a bit by her and asking for ideas. That is heartbreaking.
It reads as if he was gonna get it out at the table!
The "I was just showing her pictures of my daughter" pre-prepared excuse as well. Fucking hell, Louis.

I assumed that the power play in these situations was him, disgusting fat pig wanker, perversely enjoying being humiliated by these good looking women laughing at him and being disgusted by the whole situation.

She makes it sound much more like he was the one in charge and it was more of an aggressive, flasher sort of vibe :S

Ant Farm Keyboard

The statement in which he acknowledged the accusations rang hollow. He admitted that he had a fetish, but he also revealed a very disturbed state of mind. He felt compelled to state, three times, that the women "admired" him. As if his wrongdoings were caused by the "wrong" idea that it was okay to do this because these were comedians, who got his act, as some kind of reward toward true fans and peers.
He can't even think about the fact that it had nothing to do with admiration, and that the real problem was that these women were simply afraid of the influence he had on the comedy scene and that they were nobodies compared to the biggest stand up act in the US at the time, supported by one of the most powerful agents in the entire industry. He doesn't address the fact that he had actual power over their career, as they could end up being banned from clubs or bit parts in every show involving 3 Arts Entertainment (and there's a ton of them).
But no, he just writes that they were shocked that someone they "admired" could behave like that, causing them to what he thought was acceptance.

Replies From View

Seriously though what if a man you knew and admired suddenly had his cock out and it actually had photos of his kids tattooed on

somersetchris

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 04, 2022, 01:58:43 PMThe success of a multimillionaire who is infamous for being well connected with many famous friends, proves there is nothing shit going on with social media.

I can't be the only one who's skeeved by people using this immediately to push centrist talking points and drawing lines between it whatever else is in their heads. Is this really what it should look like when we're putting the victims first? Is this the enlightened post-2017 way of talking about sexual assault? There's something really fucking nasty about this. So many articles already. Let's keep staring. Here's how it connects to the Will Smith slap. He are some reactions from twitter accounts with less than fifty followers. Blegh. I need a shower. I regret posting my opinions on CK in this thread or talking about it at all, the only winning move is not to get drawn into the cauldron of slime.

Anyone understand any of this?

madhair60

Yeah, it's not that hard to parse is it?

Twit 2

g0m

i think they're saying that just because louis ck won a grammy doesn't mean that cancel culture isn't real

Video Game Fan 2000

If people are outraged that Louis is 'back' so quickly, it might be good to recall his behaviour was the subject of tee hee hee blind items and innuendo for years before it was taken seriously at all. A lot of outlets that are very righteous about it now were happy to treat it as a salacious rumour until consensus caught up. If it wasn't for a few women on twitter pressing the point that this was a workplace safety issue and not an issue about how moral it is to like problematic art, it might have stayed that way.

So I don't think "here's what this series of sexual assaults confirms about my culture war positions" is a good response, and I'm annoyed at myself for doing that this thread. Louis temporarily being Woke Woody Allen isn't bringing out the best commentators and its genuinely skeevy to mine this for cultural significance when its possible he's still wanking on people at his job at the auteur factory where he earns 50 times more than they do.

Pdine

I shouldn't keep posting in this thread as I know my view is not widely shared here. However I do keep drawing a blank when reading the commentary here and so I'm back for advice. Do the people who are disgusted by this Grammy really only want comedy from people who are basically morally sound? Does that extend to music too? Painting? Help me out!

Edit to add: Also - what about when they die? Is it OK to enrich their estate/kids?

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Pdine on April 11, 2022, 03:53:29 PMI shouldn't keep posting in this thread as I know my view is not widely shared here. However I do keep drawing a blank when reading the commentary here and so I'm back for advice. Do the people who are disgusted by this Grammy really only want comedy from people who are basically morally sound? Does that extend to music too? Painting? Help me out!

Edit to add: Also - what about when they die? Is it OK to enrich their estate/kids?

Post away.  It seems fairly straightforward to me:

* LCK popular/successful in the comedy world, rumours abound about odd habits, but are unconfirmed
* Really disturbing wankbeast behaviour 100% confirmed
* Poor apology to victims issued
* Comedy fans rightly very disappointed
* Louis takes time out and then bounces back with 'humorous take' on his creepy antics
* Gets grammy for being unbelievably hilarious with above

I get that you don't think we can retract the 'comedy genius' (not my words) moniker attributed to him for some of his works - however, the wankbeast debacle (for many of us) is a strong reason to not want to engage with his output anymore. If I'm forced to think about CK these days, I just have that image in my head of the hideous wankbeast. It's only funny if I want to laugh AT him, not WITH him - and even that's a massive stretch.

Sometimes things just get spoiled and you don't really want to bother with them anymore. There are plenty of other comics who don't jaywank after all.