Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:21:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Clapton- The Music

Started by TheMonk, December 19, 2021, 12:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: NoSleep on January 10, 2022, 09:46:27 AMThe only guitarist I can think of who sounds like they were directly influenced by Clapton is John Mayer, who also seems to have been equally influenced by Mark Knopfler. Mayer said he was trolling with his last album, which is a dull as shit retread of bland 80's pap
Don't think I've ever heard Mayer (probably have while in America, while in a bar, airport or something) but I'd give Knopfler a little bit of kudos for writing a couple of tunes I can stand. Something like 'Telegraph Road' goes on for far, far too long but at least I get the impression he's made an attempt to write an actual song and not made a complete balls up of it, the way Clapton did on something like 'Wonderful Tonight'.

'Skateaway' is a pretty cute song too and, if nothing else, 'Private Investigations' was quite a weird song to get to #2 in the charts, showing Knopfler did have a bit of imagination when he could be arsed to find it.

TheGingerAlien

I really can't hear much Knofl in Mayer's playing, has he said he's an influence?  Wor Mark has a very distinctive style. You'd be able to pick that out in a bar or airport nee bother.

But back on topic, I doubt Eric is quite so easy to pick out of a crowd post 70s.  Wallpaper.

NoSleep

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on January 10, 2022, 06:48:53 PMI really can't hear much Knofl in Mayer's playing, has he said he's an influence?

Listen to that youtube link in my earlier post of the guitarists reacting to Mayer's new album; there's a distinct nod to the Dire Straits school of songwriting and playing. As you say, you can't mistake it, and it's being copied here.

greenman

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on January 10, 2022, 01:34:28 PMIs Eric Johnson not influenced by Claptoot?  He's another player that I never quite got.  Just didn't seem (IMHO) to have a feel for the music that matched the high praise from other guitar players/fans.

Honestly I'v only ever knowingly listen to him on Cliffs of Dover but that alone is I think evidence he's a far more fun player than the clap.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: NoSleep on January 11, 2022, 08:56:51 AMListen to that youtube link in my earlier post of the guitarists reacting to Mayer's new album; there's a distinct nod to the Dire Straits school of songwriting and playing. As you say, you can't mistake it, and it's being copied here.

I'm a pub-level (on a good day) bassist, so can't comment on the playing styles of anybody - but from that clip, I got more of a Chris Rea vibe than Knopfler. The latter always seemed (to me) more pretensions towards Dylan in terms of writing than Boro Chris' more straight-ahead approach. Which isn't a criticism of the 'On the Beach' hitmaker - coming from the post-industrial North myself, I pick up on a lot of his reference points, esp in songs like 'It's All Gone'.

A more surprising influence- every time I've read a guitar magazine interview with Graham Coxon he's mentioned Cream (and Abbey Road-era Beatles) as the main influence on his tone-, and I think he used the same amp as Clapton, the Marshall Bluesbreaker for a bit.

NoSleep

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 11, 2022, 11:23:36 PMI'm a pub-level (on a good day) bassist, so can't comment on the playing styles of anybody - but from that clip, I got more of a Chris Rea vibe than Knopfler. The latter always seemed (to me) more pretensions towards Dylan in terms of writing than Boro Chris' more straight-ahead approach. Which isn't a criticism of the 'On the Beach' hitmaker - coming from the post-industrial North myself, I pick up on a lot of his reference points, esp in songs like 'It's All Gone'.

How far did you get in the video? When the 3rd track starts playing they're all saying it sounds like Sultans Of Swing.

NoSleep

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on January 12, 2022, 12:33:21 AMA more surprising influence- every time I've read a guitar magazine interview with Graham Coxon he's mentioned Cream (and Abbey Road-era Beatles) as the main influence on his tone-, and I think he used the same amp as Clapton, the Marshall Bluesbreaker for a bit.

That reminds me; it was Mayer that popularised (via a music forum) the previously-neglected Bluesbreaker guitar pedal.

TheGingerAlien

Just checked out that 3rd song (didn't make it that far previously) and yeah, I can hear some Knopf and Rea in there, albeit more shite.  Mayer clearly has more strings to his bow than I realised though.  You don't really hear anyone talking about Rea as an influence, he was canny good for someone that only started playing in his 30s.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: NoSleep on January 12, 2022, 08:57:37 AMHow far did you get in the video? When the 3rd track starts playing they're all saying it sounds like Sultans Of Swing.
I watched it all, and I know the part you mean. I guess it seemed a bit like Sultans of Swing in terms of the chords, but I was thinking more of the general vibe of the songs - the stuff playing didn't, for example, have Knopfler's lyrical style (ie lots of words).

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on January 12, 2022, 09:14:25 AMYou don't really hear anyone talking about Rea as an influence, he was canny good for someone that only started playing in his 30s.
Early 20s at the latest, surely? He had his first big hit before he turned 30.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 12, 2022, 04:30:36 PMEarly 20s at the latest, surely? He had his first big hit before he turned 30.

Aye, just looked it up - I stand corrected!  Not sure where I got my info from.

wrec

While I dislike a lot of his songs (can't stand Romeo and Juliet, Walk of Life is grim) I think Knopfler's a genuinely good player - he has a distinctive tone and is very expressive. Why Aye Man with Jimmy Nail is a (cheesy) banger IMO.

Similarly Rea is someone whose music is beyond my remit (Road to Hell is alright) but I think he's a decent player, and really respect how he self-released several multi-disc sets of blues / roots stuff after having health issues.

Goldentony

BIG RIVER with Jimmy Nail aswell, good tune, Knopfler got two bangers out of Jimmy Nail while Eric Clapton is a cunt who got nil out of fuck all, winner - Jimmy Nail

NoSleep

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 12, 2022, 04:30:36 PMI watched it all, and I know the part you mean. I guess it seemed a bit like Sultans of Swing in terms of the chords, but I was thinking more of the general vibe of the songs - the stuff playing didn't, for example, have Knopfler's lyrical style (ie lots of words).

As Mayer is only being mentioned here as being influenced by other guitarists (most notably Clapton) it's the guitar stylings that I was focussed upon.
That video has to be tongue in cheek, though. See the bit where Rhett Shull declares some bland riff a "great hook" and another bland lick gets tagged "left field".

kalowski

Quote from: wrec on January 12, 2022, 10:20:11 PMWhile I dislike a lot of his songs (can't stand Romeo and Juliet, Walk of Life is grim) I think Knopfler's a genuinely good player - he has a distinctive tone and is very expressive. Why Aye Man with Jimmy Nail is a (cheesy) banger IMO.

Similarly Rea is someone whose music is beyond my remit (Road to Hell is alright) but I think he's a decent player, and really respect how he self-released several multi-disc sets of blues / roots stuff after having health issues.
Yeah, Knopfler's delicate playing on Dylan's Blind Willie McTell is beautiful.