Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Toby Slater (Catch)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 19, 2021, 02:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I know Catch and how their song Bingo sort of became famous as a result of The Chart Show being interrupted by the news of Diana's death has become something of a running joke on CaB, but I just saw on Facebook that Toby Slater has died and was quite saddened, I always had a soft spot for Bingo even though it was kind of a sort of cheap Pulp homage.

I don't know any details but Tim from Orlando posted this on Facebook: "I've just seen from a post by Rhodri Marsden that Toby Slater has died.
Most people will know Toby from the band Catch, and their hit single Bingo, or from his various steampunk club activities. But before that he was a DJ at the Romo nights.
I hadn't seen him for years but he used to still message me on our shared birthday.
He was a very lovely man, kind to me and Dickon, and could always be relied on for a good conversation on a night out. And he was much more worldwise than me, even though he was younger. He had good advice (mostly that fame is awful and shouldn't be pursued).
I forever associate Skee-Lo - I Wish with Toby because he played it whenever he would DJ. It was his signature song because of the line "I wish I was a little bit taller".
Sad news."

While Simon Price posted this in the comments: "He was fantastic, and an important figure on the Romo scene. I first met him backstage at Reading when he would have been 15 or something. He was wearing a pink Duran Duran T-shirt and sunglasses on his head. In, what, 1994? He was cheeky and smart and hilarious, and the idea that a teenager was into that stuff was quite inspiring, and made him an obvious choice to collaborate with when we launched Arcadia. He was one of the triumvirate of DJs when it started at L'Equipe Anglaise (me, him and Stuart from Plastic Fantastic), and when we moved to Madame JoJo it was just me and him. He was only 17, I think, and too young to be at his own club. His stepdad Angus Deayton used to wait for him outside in a big white SUV to take him home. (God only knows how Deayton had been killing time beforehand in Soho.) I rarely ran into him after Arcadia ended, and I regret that, because whenever you did, he always left you feeling a bit more energised and positive. Lots of love to all his friends and family. x".

Chicory

That's terrible.  This news doesn't seem to have made any impact anywhere, which I guess underlines how far into obscurity he'd faded.  I feel a bit bad for taking the piss so relentlessly all these years.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Chicory on December 19, 2021, 07:40:16 PMThat's terrible.  This news doesn't seem to have made any impact anywhere, which I guess underlines how far into obscurity he'd faded.  I feel a bit bad for taking the piss so relentlessly all these years.

Maybe they'll announce it on TV at about 5 in the morning

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 19, 2021, 08:14:12 PMMaybe they'll announce it on TV at about 5 in the morning

But interrupted by the news of the Queen's death.

PaulTMA

I don't know if it's in bad taste pointing this, but fell down a Toby Slater-hole and found this, from recently:

https://iww.org.uk/news/creative-freelancers-fighting-back-against-wage-theft/

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Pink t shirt and sunglasses on his head. What a character.

boki

badaids

Weird I just listened to the Chart Music where they talk about him only last night...

SteveDave

imitationleather

Sad news.

Seems mad he was only seven years older than me.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: SteveDave on December 21, 2021, 11:15:17 AMThe Milkshake Duck arrives faster and faster these days

https://twitter.com/laureningram/status/1472764591973322756?s=20

Laurie Penny's response is quite an eye-opener. Hasn't gone down well, unsurprisingly.

PaulTMA

I don't even want to try and get into an argument over this, but not sure why expressing this sentiment using the tongue of Paw Broon is significantly more respectful
https://twitter.com/iainnicol/status/1473615270799364100

Quote from: PaulTMA on December 22, 2021, 06:12:11 PMI don't even want to try and get into an argument over this, but not sure why expressing this sentiment using the tongue of Paw Broon is significantly more respectful
https://twitter.com/iainnicol/status/1473615270799364100

That guy tweets in that dialect all the time.  It must be exhausting.  Except when he is trying to get his money back from Vodafone or Curry's customer services, when he miraculously manages to revert to plain English.

PaulTMA

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on December 22, 2021, 08:47:38 PMThat guy tweets in that dialect all the time.  It must be exhausting.  Except when he is trying to get his money back from Vodafone or Curry's customer services, when he miraculously manages to revert to plain English.

I figured... dire at the best of times but especially spew-worthy in this context

Can anyone recommend some good solo Toby Slater bangerz