Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fight! Harry Hill book

Started by Virgo76, December 20, 2021, 06:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

A good read. Genuinely quite funny in parts, particularly early on. Surprisingly detailed about his early career. I'd never associated him with Stewart Lee and Alistair McGowan but he worked with both. I've written a review but won't post it here.
He is not shy about dwelling on his failures as well as his successes. e.g. attempts to host a revived Stars in their Eyes, getting fired from Capital Radio and filming a terrible Beadles' About style pilot called, What Are The Chances of That Happening?
Odd then, that he doesn't mention You've Been Framed once.
Not once. Zilch. Nada. And he's done tons of them.
Any reason for this?
Has he fallen out with them or something?

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: Virgo76 on December 20, 2021, 06:32:04 AMOdd then, that he doesn't mention You've Been Framed once.

Perhaps they framed him?

Harry Hill is one of those odd ones who's got that brilliant shifted perspective on the world, akin to someone like Spike Milligan; but who I've always got the impression from, especially interviews, that he's a bit of an prick... like Spike Milli...
  The humility you ascribe to his book intrigues me and may well take a look - thanks.

Virgo76

Quote from: Armed Traffic Warden on December 20, 2021, 08:34:05 AMPerhaps they framed him?

Harry Hill is one of those odd ones who's got that brilliant shifted perspective on the world, akin to someone like Spike Milligan; but who I've always got the impression from, especially interviews, that he's a bit of an prick... like Spike Milli...
  The humility you ascribe to his book intrigues me and may well take a look - thanks.
He generally comes across well in the book although concedes on several occasions, success and fame went to his head.

thr0b

Quote from: Virgo76 on December 20, 2021, 06:32:04 AMA good read. Genuinely quite funny in parts, particularly early on. Surprisingly detailed about his early career. I'd never associated him with Stewart Lee and Alistair McGowan but he worked with both. I've written a review but won't post it here.
He is not shy about dwelling on his failures as well as his successes. e.g. attempts to host a revived Stars in their Eyes, getting fired from Capital Radio and filming a terrible Beadles' About style pilot called, What Are The Chances of That Happening?
Odd then, that he doesn't mention You've Been Framed once.
Not once. Zilch. Nada. And he's done tons of them.
Any reason for this?

He's described YBF on a fair few occasions as money for old rope; I'd guess he just sees it as a job where he reads out a script, like an advert voice-over, and not worthy of much comment.

Fambo Number Mive

I enjoyed reading this as well, quite funny and very interesting. I'd recommend it.

Quote from: Armed Traffic Warden on December 20, 2021, 08:34:05 AMPerhaps they framed him?

Milligan was a keen animal rights supporter, so I won't have 'prick.'  Maybe 'misguided' or 'unawakened' in terms of stuff he's done that was dodgy in terms of its racial connotations.

Brundle-Fly

Before somebody mentions how dismayed they were by his 2010 I Wanna Baby single, Harry also had his own brand of fair trade peanuts for a while too; contributing to sustainable development for certified producers to enable more agreeable trading conditions, social change and environmental protection. Hopefully, to some extent this balances out his derisory attitude towards teenage working class single mothers.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: thr0b on December 20, 2021, 09:37:50 AMHe's described YBF on a fair few occasions as money for old rope; I'd guess he just sees it as a job where he reads out a script, like an advert voice-over, and not worthy of much comment.

He must write it himself though, and it's often very funny.

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 20, 2021, 10:58:15 AMMilligan was a keen animal rights supporter, so I won't have 'prick.'  Maybe 'misguided' or 'unawakened' in terms of stuff he's done that was dodgy in terms of its racial connotations.

Oh, I've got shit on Spike that would blow the nose off a polar bear at 20 millimetres, I'll have you know.

Actually, I've got nothing, it was just a weak, unfunny and misguided bit. I tender my CAB resignation.  And I'd hardly been here 2 minutes.

This is how you do CAB right? One backtracks from a bad joke with poor meta-commentary on oneself?

Or doubles down extra hard?
In which case I hope that Milligan CUNT pops his clogs big time. Like dead and everything.

Yeah?

madhair60

Nah he was a prick and in fact did not support animal rights, indeed he used to advocate AGAINST them!

Virgo76

I don't think he mentions Professor Branestawm either. Admittedly, there were only ever two episodes of that but it would have tied in nicely with his teenaged love for science experiments detailed in the book.
The YBF omission does seem odd still. By my reckoning, he's done over 250 episodes of it. That's more than for any other show he's ever done on radio or TV.
An excellent book though. For me, tied with Bob Mortimer's And Away as this year's best comedy biography.
(Georgia Pritchett's My Mess Is A Bit of A Life is also brilliant but am not sure it fits into that category).
Also: kept me going much longer than his other books, Harry Hill's Whopping Great Joke Book, Harry Hill's Fun Book and Harry Hill's Bumper Book of Bloopers.

Goldentony

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 20, 2021, 11:13:05 AMBefore somebody mentions how dismayed they were by his 2010 I Wanna Baby single, Harry also had his own brand of fair trade peanuts for a while too; contributing to sustainable development for certified producers to enable more agreeable trading conditions, social change and environmental protection. Hopefully, to some extent this balances out his derisory attitude towards teenage working class single mothers.

how does that help me pay the rent when this bald headed doctor cunt gets paid to sing about hating trampolines? fuck peanuts, I hope he shoves them all up his arse, should go and fuck a peanut if he love them

Goldentony

grown man with an education going FLAT SCREEN FLAT SCREEN TV

typeforty

Quote from: Virgo76 on December 21, 2021, 07:33:16 AMAlso: kept me going much longer than his other books, Harry Hill's Whopping Great Joke Book, Harry Hill's Fun Book and Harry Hill's Bumper Book of Bloopers.

Flight from Deathrow was excellent, though.