Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quicksand - Distant Populations

Started by The Mollusk, December 21, 2021, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

NYC post-hardcore band whose three-decade career consists of two EPs and four LPs. They've probably just got a lot on. Sometimes I'm taking the dry clothes off the rack and I look at the laundry basket and see it's full again and I think WHEN THE FUCK am I ever gonna get this new album sorted? Time gets away from us all.

Anyway I confess to not having heard their other stuff yet but goodness gracious this new album is GREAT. Emotive, driving, super catchy and nicely refined with zero bloat. Just shy of 33 mins and nary a duff track to be found. If you dig the classic album "United By Fate" by Rival Schools (hey, I just learned these bands have the same frontman, lol) and the lighter side of Deftones then this shit's absolutely for you.

Cracking artwork from Tetsunori Tawaraya as well:

LIGHTNING FIELD

MISSILE COMMAND

Dr Trouser

I hadn't clocked they'd got a new album out. I loved their first ep and manic manic compression so I'll give it a listen later.

I think they suffered from being around at the same time as (and compared to) fugazi (see also soulside) also being on revelation records everyone assumed they were a full on straight edge type affair.

kngen

Always felt that they never quite exceeded the sum of the their parts (Walter can be a fantastic songwriter, and Alan Cage and Sergio Vega are one of the greatest rhythm sections in post-hardcore ... and erm... Tom Capone was prematurely balding). I liked the first EP and couple of albums well enough and they were pretty great live, but never felt the need to go back to them. Will give this new one a listen and see if that changes my mind.

Better than Fugazi though.

The Mollusk

Quote from: kngen on December 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PMAlways felt that they never quite exceeded the sum of the their parts (Walter can be a fantastic songwriter, and Alan Cage and Sergio Vega are one of the greatest rhythm sections in post-hardcore ... and erm... Tom Capone was prematurely balding). I liked the first EP and couple of albums well enough and they were pretty great live, but never felt the need to go back to them. Will give this new one a listen and see if that changes my mind.

Better than Fugazi though.

It's about 10 mins shorter than their other albums so at the very least it doesn't outstay its welcome. For comparison, I was listening to Ozma's "Doubble Donkey Disc" last night for the first time in years and it irked me how they hammer a riff into the ground for way longer than is necessary. It's a boring album. This new Quicksand joint knows its limitations and plays right up to them to satisfying effect, I think.

Dirty Boy

I think i first listened to them after they were namechecked by Deftones in the late 90's. Remember liking Slip and Manic Compression as a yoof. At the time they struck me as more of a relatively straight ahead alt-metal band like Helmet and Shihad rather than the post-punk my interest were shifting towards.

Anyway, are they fuck better than Fugazi.

kngen

Quote from: Dirty Boy on December 21, 2021, 03:28:01 PMAnyway, are they fuck better than Fugazi.

*kronkle*

Feedback.

Joe Lally plays a Ruts bass line backwards.

Guy: 'Nammablappitiyblap.Nammablappitiyblap.

Ian: 'DORDORDORDORRR! DORDORDORRRRR!'

Scratchy guitars. Joe Lally plays an Eater bass line at half speed.

Guy: 'Nammablappitiyblap!

Ian: 'DORDORDORDORRRDORRRRRR'

Scratchier guitars, but for twice as long.

Feedback.

ENDS

Every Fugazi song ever.

Greg Torso

The kind of music I loved in my late teens/early twenties but doesn't do much for me now, soz. Love that artwork, though, so thanks for introducing me to Tetsunori Tawaraya, checked out some of his stuff and it's great.

Quote from: kngen on December 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PMBetter than Fugazi though.

Ha ha, no.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Greg Torso on December 21, 2021, 04:27:17 PMthanks for introducing me to Tetsunori Tawaraya, checked out some of his stuff and it's great.

Yeah he's ace, first discovered his stuff when he did the cover art for Thee Oh Sees' "Mutilator Defeated At Last". He puts out some great merch too.

Dr Trouser

Anything after Repeater is a slog for me

kngen

boki

Quote from: Dr Trouser on December 21, 2021, 05:08:46 PMAnything after Repeater is a slog for me
Much prefer Red Medicine, meself.

Anyway, this Quicksand album's pretty good.  Perfectly enjoyable while it's on, but not something I think I'd get the urge to seek out.  Dead good drums, though.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: boki on December 21, 2021, 05:24:57 PMMuch prefer Red Medicine, meself.
The Argument for me.

Vocals aside, i'd say all of their albums are different. This Knger fella's gone daft!

kngen

Quote from: Dirty Boy on December 21, 2021, 06:44:51 PMThis Knger fella's gone daft!

Ha! I think I'm just a bit angry at Fugazi at the moment as I was listening to Minor Threat for the first time in years the other day, and years of mocking MacKaye's 'dordordor' vox in Fugazi (and Embrace, Pailhead,Egghunt,Skewbald etc etc) came back to haunt me, and I had to put something else on.

I loved that first 12" with the red cover when it came out (actually, I didn't get on with it at all at first, then something clicked and I loved it.) Margin Walker seemed like diminishing returns but Repeater had its moments, but by then I was ready for them to go away and stop bothering me. But they kept putting out records and my friends kept playing them to me,or they were put on in the van, or at parties after gigs, and it was enervating in the extreme. Hence my mockery of the vocals above. A quick and easy way to get something else put on instead (yes, I am that annoying cunt).

Meanwhile, my like for Quicksand has never died.