Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:09:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

France & Francophone Comedy Worldwide

Started by tribalfusion, December 21, 2021, 10:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribalfusion

I was wondering if anyone else on here is interested in the world of comedy in France and the Francophone world more generally.

While there's not tons of stand-up in France, Quebec, Switzerland and Belgium which I find particularly appealing there is still a bit I find of interest here and there (Fred Dubé from Quebec is a good example of someone I find quite incisive). There are also some people from the world of humor/political commentary doing good work which perhaps doesn't have an exact analog in the Anglophone world (here I am thinking of people like Guillaume Meurice).

Television comedy has been overhauled from the absolutely dire earlier days though it's still not exactly teeming with interesting work (Irresponsable is about as good as anything I have seen).

We can discuss film or other areas as well if anyone else is interested :)

Glebe

Monsieur Hulot wanders into thread and does something funny.

zomgmouse

I remember when I was studying French I watched a Gad Elmaleh standup special to see how much I could understand and it was pretty funny from memory

tribalfusion

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 21, 2021, 10:55:56 PMI remember when I was studying French I watched a Gad Elmaleh standup special to see how much I could understand and it was pretty funny from memory

Not a big fan of his humor and Gad's a well known joke thief on top of that. Loads of stuff about that if you look around online but here's one of the better known videos about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOovVnvh9k

Sebastian Cobb

Only thing I've really watched is the cold-war period comedy A Very Secret Service. I thought it was quite surrealist and good. It seemed to lean in to stereotypes of French bureaucracy quite heavily.

Johnny Foreigner

Camping Cosmos (1996), by anarchist film director, Jan Bucquoy. Part of his Sex Life of the Belgians series.

Stars, amongst others, Tintin, Lolo Ferrari and shit novelist, Herman Brusselmans. It's a crap satire of a crap country and, as such, wholly deserving of its cult status.

zomgmouse

Quote from: tribalfusion on December 21, 2021, 11:24:05 PMNot a big fan of his humor and Gad's a well known joke thief on top of that. Loads of stuff about that if you look around online but here's one of the better known videos about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOovVnvh9k

oh no