Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:38:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Cancel culture could wipe out comedy"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 22, 2021, 08:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenna appleseed

^ guess everyone should've shut up and let Jan Moir & The Daily Mail get away with spreading gay hate (& exploiting Stephen Gately death ) and this site had better banish all its Ricky Gervais & Glinner call out threads 'cos we wouldn't want to cancel anyone would we?

Quote from: lazyhour on December 26, 2021, 09:19:00 PMI agree in part, but according to Jon Ronson's book these Twitter campaigns have led to real life shit, such as people getting fired from their jobs or (in the heartbreaking case of unpleasant celebrities) being kicked off lucrative advertising campaigns.

^ guess everyone should've shut up and let Jan Moir & The Daily Mail get away with spreading gay hate (& exploiting Stephen Gately death ) and this site had better banish all its Ricky Gervais & Glinner call out threads 'cos we wouldn't want to cancel anyone would we?

eta: why the fuck are people in this thread acting like is singlehandedly responsable for a long out of date stereotype of tumblr fandom wankers? (also both too young to be gen x).

new page flouncing out of stupid thread, don't @ me.

lazyhour

Not sure what your point is?

Maybe read my post again and see if you can pick up the super-subtle clues that I have no sympathy for celeb cunts getting their comeuppance. I just think it's worth noting that sometimes Twitter bullshit *does* spill out into the real world. It's simply a fact.

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on December 26, 2021, 04:44:29 PMIsn't there an index for categorising our shared folk tales over the millenia? Sounds a bit like ye olde tv tropes.
Aarne-Thompson.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Kankurette on December 27, 2021, 11:53:49 AMAarne-Thompson.
There's also Propp's Morphology of the Folk Tale. And probably more directly influencing TV Tropes, Joseph Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces which was a big influence on George Lucas when writing Star Wars. So nothing new. EDIT: And if something like Star Wars and the millions of films it influenced were constructed based on tropes, it's legitimate to deconstruct them the same way.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 30, 2021, 06:04:51 PMAnd probably more directly influencing TV Tropes, Joseph Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces

The prosecution rests.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Kankurette on December 23, 2021, 03:50:02 PMI did discover some good anime series through it though, Black Lagoon

Yesss. proper glad someone else here has watched it.

Kankurette

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 31, 2021, 05:41:21 AMYesss. proper glad someone else here has watched it.
It's boss. Balalaika is one of my favourite anime characters. I used to be more into shounen but grew out of it because Bleach, Fairy Tail and Naruto all went down the crapper (in fairness to Tite Kubo though, WSJ treated him very badly and he had a load of health problems IIRC) and I got bored of One Piece, though I loved Claymore and Soul Eater.

Dayraven

I'd suggest The Promised Neverland and Dr. Stone as good recent shounens (Dr. Stone takes a bit of a step up in quality a few episodes in when it reboots its supporting cast). Demon Slayer has been wildly popular in Japan lately, though I find it fairly average.

Armin Meiwes

Interesting recent episode of WTF (ie the Marc Maron podcast) about the whole idea of "you can't say anything any more" in comedy and the history of complaining about it that, as you can imagine, goes way way back, as well as the rise of "anti woke" comedy. Found it a really great listen.. especially coming, as it does, from a comedian of such long standing.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1278-canceled-comedy-w-kliph-nesteroff-and-david-bianculli

DavidJatt

I'd say it's unfortunately given birth to some disgustingly bad "anti woke" comedy (tik tok is full of it), vomit inducing filth.

I always thought "cancel culture" is a pretty natural reaction to people doing shitty things for years and facing next to no consequences for it.

I'd like to cancel Tom McDonald for everything he's ever put music through