Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC announces it's recording 'anti-woke' R4 pilot Unsafe Space.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, December 22, 2021, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Of course it's got Andrew Doyle in it, and more unfortunately Tony Law.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/12/22/49904/bbc_pilots_anti-woke_comedy_show?rss

I wonder if it'll have legs or if it's an olive branch.

privatefriend

Hopefully unsafe space is a literal description of the room in which it is recorded.

Fry

Finally there will be a space for some anti-trans views on BBC Radio 4.

Seeing as I haven't heard the term "Safe Space" used in earnest for about 3 years im excited to see what kind of relevant , cutting edge comedy is going to come out of this.

madhair60

JamesTC

It won't be offensive enough for cunts and it will be too offensive for not-cunts.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fry on December 22, 2021, 12:25:47 PMSeeing as I haven't heard the term "Safe Space" used in earnest for about 3 years im excited to see what kind of relevant , cutting edge comedy is going to come out of this.

It'll be nice to hear Craig Ovens out of his usual butlins setting I reckon.

idunnosomename

I only like being offended if it's by Craig Ovens #OffenceByOvens

jobotic

It's about time the establishment starting kicking down. I admire their bravery.

As if it'll be enough to save them.

Zetetic

The contract between performer and audience that "provocative, unorthodox stand-up comedy for the open-minded" and "unsafe space" sets up, seems to undermine its own potential unless someone leverages actual violence, either between the two parties or self-inflicted.

You can't tell me that I'm about to be provoked and then just be a bit unpleasant. What are you going provoke?

Famous Mortimer

I'm certain the Tory appointees at the BBC are commissioning stuff like this, hiring people like Laura Kuenssberg etc., so when they get round to getting rid of it, many of the BBC's typical defenders will think "good riddance" and not fight.

buttgammon

Wow, bullying and insulting people is so cutting edge. It's about time minorities who were already under attack were the targets of jokes on the radio as well!

idunnosomename

has anyone ever seen Andrew Doyle tell a fucking joke, or just look like a punctured novelty condom with a sad face complaining about cancel culture?

Icehaven

Will this just largely be them kicking woke-ism rather than the groups/minorities that woke-ism exists to protect? It'll be like jazz, you'll have to listen to the black and gay jokes they aren't making.

Tony Yeboah

It will be shit, not get a series and then there will be stories that the BBC are too lefty and scared to run with it.

Sebastian Cobb

When did Tony Law align with this lot? Most of his stuff has been apolitical meandering nonsense (that I do enjoy).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on December 22, 2021, 01:19:54 PMIt will be shit, not get a series and then there will be stories that the BBC are too lefty and scared to run with it.

Or be shit, get two series anyway because the target audience is yer da and the boorish void Top Gear left.

You know, like Spitting Image.

dissolute ocelot

It must mean something that the BBC seems to be focusing on the group of transphobes and anti-Black Lives Matter dudes around Comedy Unleashed and Lawrence Fox's Reclaim Party. If the goal was just to get alternative voices, they could get Christian stand-ups or elderly comedians, working class, people from the countryside or who're teetotal and anti-drugs, traditionalist stuff about how great the royal family are, a To The Manor Born revival. But no, it's got to be anti-LGBTQ+, and it's basically youngish-40something middle-class Oxbridge urban nihilist cocaine addicts. It's not really alternative at all, it's just that they've decided to throw LGBTQ people under the bus.

Sebastian Cobb

Pretty funny that Lee Hurst is 100% that demographic but still not on the bill though lol.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

ah yes, comedians doing "hilarious" accents and stock "gay" voices while farting out "attack helicopter" and "seventy-six genders"

Deliciousbass

See that Nick Dixon is on the bill. It was only six months ago that he was moaning about not getting work because he's "white, straight, able-bodied and male". Wonder if this will complicate his thoughts.

I say, I say, I say, my mum's got green hair.

How does she smell?

Of men's aftershave, possibly because she's trans and/or because she's sexually liberated, both of which are obviously disgusting.

*CANNED LAUGHTER*

Barry Admin

Why's Andrew Doyle in this when he isn't a comedian?

QuoteThe BBC is piloting a new comedy show to combat the perception that all its comedians are from the 'woke' liberal left.

Unsafe Space will feature a number of comedians linked to the Comedy Unleashed 'free-speech' comedy nights and  championed by pressure group The Campaign For Common Sense.

Unsafe Space is billed as 'provocative, unorthodox stand-up comedy for the open-minded, bringing diversity of opinion to BBC Radio 4' – suggesting the programme-makers don't believe that currently exists.

The Campaign For Common Sense, which kicks back against transgender rights campaigners and believes Black Lives Matter is 'divisive ideological nonsense', listed Doyle, Kearse, Bourke and Dixon as 'alternative comedians that could be booked' by the BBC after it claimed bias in its output last year.

Ughh gross.

g0m

i don't get why you'd make this. who is this for? Do the anti-woke love listening to radio 4?

Kankurette

Why is it so important that people are allowed to rant on about bigoted shite at work? Shouldn't you be getting on with your fucking job instead of whingeing on and on about how those migrants deserved to drown?

Radio 4 buying into this culture war bullshit. Makes me glad I don't listen to it. And ONE FUCKING STATUE, of a slaver that nobody wanted, got torn down. ONE. Yet the right seem to think everyone and their mum is ripping statues down all over Britain.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: g0m on December 22, 2021, 02:44:57 PMi don't get why you'd make this. who is this for? Do the anti-woke love listening to radio 4?

is possible

QuoteThat's Radio 4 which was run until last January by Sarah Sands whose previous job included platforming the virulently islamophobic Tory mayoral campaign in 2016 whilst editor of the Evening Standard. Cancel culture indeed.

https://twitter.com/2Si_2Vess/status/1473657577766625283

buttgammon

Radio 4 is swarming with transphobes at the moment. They're too paranoid to recognise when a media outlet is on their side, though.

Fambo Number Mive

"Is Britain bigger than Brexit?" What does that even mean?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 22, 2021, 01:22:12 PMWhen did Tony Law align with this lot? Most of his stuff has been apolitical meandering nonsense (that I do enjoy).

He's a long way off going full Andrew Lawrence, but he started tweeting some pro-free speech stuff and sharing Jordan Peterson articles a couple of years ago.

I found a post of mine from a year ago saying that was plenty of transphobia and anti-BLM stuff in his Twitter likes, but I just had another look and there's no sign of it now (they're probably still there, but he hasn't liked anything particularly dodgy for the last few months at least).

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 22, 2021, 03:19:15 PM"Is Britain bigger than Brexit?" What does that even mean?

Seven letters vs. six. Probably some Mensa thing.

j_u_d_a_s

Anything too beyond the pale will be excised by BBC compliance for one thing save for a few mild digs at the 'woke'. Like Dapper Laughs live DVD being advertised as featuring "The most dangerous comedian today", the actual material will be the blandest soup that'll get divorced dads all excited. Mary Bourke is the best of that bunch but she's likely to be using the same material as she did 10 years ago. Leo Kearse has been threatening to break through for years despite all of his shows mustering a glittering 3 stars average and Doyle's stuff has always been self satisfied.

Geoff Norcott and Simon Evans are radio 4's stock right wing comics and even they've made it that far by circumnavigating their real views. No chance of that happening with Doyle, Kearse and Dixon who make their living whining about comedy audiences are too woke for their piss weak hackery.