Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC announces it's recording 'anti-woke' R4 pilot Unsafe Space.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, December 22, 2021, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfella

From the letters page in today's Express:  'The woke brigade now complain about anything that could be viewed as on the edge or offensive and that is killing comedy.  The funniest man I ever saw live was Bernard Manning but I think you would get sentenced to jail for going to see him these days, if he was still alive.'  Joe Atkins, Lancaster.  Hard to read that as not being a parody.

Fambo Number Mive

If this show gets a lot of listeners, will GB News introduce a comedy slot? Imagine that.

"Why did the woke millenials cross the road? To pull down a statue and have some avocado toast"

(sound of forced laughter from co-presenter"

iamcoop

I'm also confused about Tony Law's involvement in this. He did a WIP at the venue in my pub a couple of months back and it was an hour of his usual whimsy. The closing section about the blacks aside he was great. 

idunnosomename

Jesus christ this guy is fucking pathetic

https://twitter.com/LeoKearse/status/1474002538567458824

Edit went back a bit further and found him trying to make a joke and it's... well it's not going to get him a job on HIGNFY

https://twitter.com/LeoKearse/status/1472959190108938240

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 24, 2021, 10:04:34 AMIf this show gets a lot of listeners, will GB News introduce a comedy slot? Imagine that.

"Why did the woke millenials cross the road? To pull down a statue and have some avocado toast"

(sound of forced laughter from co-presenter"

Well they did have that shit comedy dection on fox news recently didn't they?

Edit - fucking hell, that "joke."

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 24, 2021, 01:41:12 PMJesus christ this guy is fucking pathetic

Edit went back a bit further and found him trying to make a joke and it's... well it's not going to get him a job on HIGNFY

QuoteRachel Riley has been awarded £10k in damages after winning her libel case against Jeremy Corbyn's former aide. To put that into perspective, £10k is more than the combined savings of everyone who ever voted for Jeremy Corbyn
BUH HUH HUH HUH, POORS

jobotic

Ha poor people saw hope in Jeremy Corbyn, what a loser!

I thought we were all posh middle class cosplayers.

Make your mind up right wing cunts!

ajsmith2

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 24, 2021, 01:41:12 PMJesus christ this guy is fucking pathetic

Jeepers. Alluding to Andrew Doyle as the equivalent figure in comedy as Einstein is to science with absolutely no irony is hilarious though, I gotta admit.

beanheadmcginty

Didn't Tony Law get sober a few years ago? I've long had a theory that teetotallers are more right wing. Trump. Hitler. Saudi Arabia. Etc etc

Kankurette

idunnosomename

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 24, 2021, 02:00:31 PMBUH HUH HUH HUH, POORS

that aside, it's such a poorly constructed joke. Tens of millions of people voted for Jeremy Corbyn, are you saying they have less than a tenth of a penny each? Is that asurdity really worth the whole lumbering set up? It's an unsalavably bad joke.

That this cunt has the temerity to complain about anyone ruining comedy when hes frankly so fucking shit at it

Pink Gregory

I mean, that's less of a joke and more of a recognising of a voter demographic.

Suppose as a conservative he thinks the poor are solely responsible for their own poverty.

Fucking cunt.  Hope he never knows a moment's happiness.

I suppose that makes me triggered.

danwho9

Finally comedy will be saved from the middle-class chav wokeflakes who are ruining it by disowning such hilarious talented acts like Jim Davidson, Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning.

First one of these is up. A strange mix of standup, sketches and interviews.

I turned it off after ten minutes because it had the same problem as all these Andrew Doyle-led comedy shows do: it was boring. Really painfully boring.

Sebastian Cobb

Captain Z

These days they turn the weans against you if you say you're English

Franny Joyce

I've listened to most of it and I'm not sure I really understand a lot it, it's quite confused. At one point there's a dig at the left because apparently lefties equate being pro Palestinian with being antisemitic.

The rest of it gives the impression that these people probably spend far too much time on twitter as they seem to live in a different world to me.

olliebean

Votes for the most deso thing in this? Mine goes to the Rod Liddle column set to music. Although it's a toss-up between that and the rounds of applause every time Mary Bourke said something TERFy.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Franny Joyce on February 21, 2022, 10:24:57 AMAt one point there's a dig at the left because apparently lefties equate being pro Palestinian with being antisemitic.
Lefties do? That is confused.

Fisher Goes Berserk

Was trying to work out how I know his name. He's a friend of a friend on Facebook and more than once I've seen him hijacking comment threads to talk about some unrelated contentious issue, like a bloke trying to start a fight in a pub. Absolutely tedious behaviour.

On topic: I bailed at about 1:30.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: olliebean on February 21, 2022, 10:38:59 AMVotes for the most deso thing in this? Mine goes to the Rod Liddle column set to music. Although it's a toss-up between that and the rounds of applause every time Mary Bourke said something TERFy.
Mary Bourke doing stand-up that you'd never hear on Radio 4 (because Justin Webb already has the same material covered anytime he's on the Today programme) was easily the worst, but my dishonourable mention goes to Andrew Doyle's half-arsed attempt at class reductionism whilst conducting an interview that was blatantly there to put a big, superficial tick in the "Balance" box.

Franny Joyce

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 21, 2022, 10:55:58 AMLefties do? That is confused.

According to one the comedians on this programme, they do.

I found it quite intriguing in a way, none of it is funny but sometimes it's hard to work out in what way it's even supposed to be funny from the perspective of the writer/performer.

olliebean

I suppose if nothing else you have to give them credit for unambiguously calling Prince Andrew a nonce.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 20, 2022, 08:02:09 PMFirst one of these is up. A strange mix of standup, sketches and interviews.

I turned it off after ten minutes because it had the same problem as all these Andrew Doyle-led comedy shows do: it was boring. Really painfully boring.

I thought I should probably listen to the whole thing.

The standup isn't funny. The rest of it is boring. The description says "diversity of opinion" but Simon Evans and David Lammy saying cancel culture isn't good is something that gets said every day on TV, the radio and in the papers.

The Leo Kearse bit is the worst. One very weak joke that he has to explain the punchline to because either a) the audience didn't get it or b) he doesn't know how to write a gag.

phantom_power

I mean cancel culture isn't good because it is made up right wing culture war bullshit. People being held accountable for their actions, their words and the effect those words have is another thing entirely

The Frank Butcher

Can you hear Leo's physique on the radio? Comedians should look like they're losing all of the battles, but Leo looks like he's seen Stewart Lee but also Ben Stiller and thought, Right, I'm not having this (and then done more of the work than Gervais but less than Stiller).

Is Leo going to do a tour called Provider?

Do the security staff at his gigs look like the ones at the Co-op? Even I suddenly feel like shoplifting in there.

Did Vincent Vaughn used to have a belly? Would he have got on Curb if he hadn't developed one?

Not that it bothers me or anything.

Johnny Yesno

This really is utterly pedestrian, isn't it?

I was disappointed to note that Jake Yapp is part of this, as he used to be funny around the time Charlie Brooker gave him a slot on his show.

But I was amused to see that the not-bitter-at-all-about-losing-his-bit-on-The-Now-Show Jon Holmes has got a job producing this crap. So, that's nice, after being silenced by having to work on Radio Kent with, as it turns out, Jake Yapp. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY70UI1uXxo

Simon Evans is also a massive disappointment. I didn't agree with much of it but Simon Evans Goes to Market was still excellent for getting an insight into how capitalists think. He's either got really lazy these days or he's much more up for lying. On that score, the other side of the Kate Clanchy saga is worth hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ym8l0ZG_Xc

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 21, 2022, 02:17:42 PMThe Leo Kearse bit is the worst. One very weak joke that he has to explain the punchline to because either a) the audience didn't get it or b) he doesn't know how to write a gag.

Yes, that was toe-curling.

lipsink

Anti-woke comedy is just utterly unfunny and boring. It's sold as being able to say whatever the hell you want. In reality it's just incredibly limited.

"I want to be able to say what I want!"
"Okay, what do you want to talk about?"
"Erm... plastic straws?"