Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:32:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC announces it's recording 'anti-woke' R4 pilot Unsafe Space.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, December 22, 2021, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

jobotic

Doesn't matter how many listeners it gets does it? They can't "cancel" it. Doesn't matter if it's funny or not (it won't be). The point is the message they are sending out by making it, that's all.

buttgammon

As others have said, it's inevitable that it won't satisfy the people it's aimed at either. What do they want? Stuff about Owen Jones sucking cock and copious use of the 'n' word? They're impossible to please, they just want to complain and get away with being rude to others.

Zetetic

I'd at least be interested in the reaction if they'd got Sadowitz. (Bit of a waste without a medium for the magic stuff.)

Pink Gregory

I don't think it'd serve their purpose.  The whole point of Sadowitz is that he does horribly offensive material that is supposed to be shocking and bad taste.

What these nerds want is their shitty, often uninformed, opinions to pass without comment and that be funny somehow.

jobotic

He's not part of the Spiked/Toby Young coke set is he so no chance.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 23, 2021, 10:56:21 AMWhat these nerds want is their shitty, often uninformed, opinions to pass without comment and that be funny somehow.

Yes they're not actually interested in them, personally being offended. They want to hear their views reflected back at them. The Stewart Lee "oh, you agreed the fuck with that didn't you" bit but with them saying stuff like "if you've got a knob you're a bloke, end of!!!!"

frajer

Someone Please Be Offended
(I Don't Want to Have to Actually Come Up with Material)

mippy

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 23, 2021, 09:46:33 AMIsn't Radio 4 Extra an entire channel devoted to unwoke comedy?

Where does Quote Unquote come on the woke spectrum?

Ha, there was a Radio Active 'film festival' special on last night which had a clip from a 'Japanese film' consisting entirely of ying tong ying tong accents. So I'm guessing it's going to sound a bit like a 40yr old satire of the media, except without Angus Deayton.

jobotic

Who was that minor snooker player who does raps mocking the woke? Hope they get him on, he's fucking dreadful!

Old Nehamkin

Jerry Sadowitz's act really doesn't have much in common with the kind of spluttering culture war grievance stuff that someone like Andrew Doyle trades in. The thing about Doyle and his set (apart from their general lack of comic talent and imagination) is that they don't really have the courage or conviction to deliver any truly offensive or taboo-breaking material, they mostly just coyly dance around the edges of hot-button social issues and deflect their bile onto a sort of all-purpose progressive strawman safely abstracted from the specific minority group in question. These people are petrified of actually confronting their feelings about black/muslim/trans people head-on, and their comedy, in turn, can never escape that repressed, fearful and timid mindset. They're just cowards at the end of the dy.

As for Sadowitz, whatever you think about the merit or ethics of his comedy, he's in a completely different universe from a craven chancer like Doyle because (again, apart from actually being funny and talented and, you know, a real comedian) he has actually had the conviction to create an act that is genuinely abrasive, confrontational and offensive on its own terms without ever trying to present himself as some sort of populist common-sense warrior or setting out to coddle the prejudices of a particular demographic as Doyle very safely and conservatively does.

Anyway, I don't think that Radio 4 would even consider reaching out to Sadowitz for something like this because the last thing they want is to put someone on air who might actually say something truly near-the-knuckle or go beyond the limp and tepid kind of passive-aggressive woke-baiting that passes for transgression among the audience that they are aiming this at.

Sebastian Cobb

Doyle is very thin skinned for a free speech, 'debate me sir' type. Reply to one of his tweets with something like 'tell us a joke Andrew you useless twat' and see how quick he blocks you.

mippy

Quote from: jobotic on December 23, 2021, 11:56:22 AMWho was that minor snooker player who does raps mocking the woke? Hope they get him on, he's fucking dreadful!

Peter Devlin. I find him oddly endearing.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on December 23, 2021, 11:56:22 AMWho was that minor snooker player who does raps mocking the woke? Hope they get him on, he's fucking dreadful!

Remember when the red tops were announcing Ricky Hatton was going to try his hand at stand-up? I think he said Bernard Manning was a hero of his. Never heard anything of it again.

Goldentony

also, perhaps most critically, Jerry Sadowitz isnt on this and hasnt been asked. Tony fucking Law is on it isn't he, Tony fuck arsing Law, Tony most dangerous cunt in comedy Law watch out xxx uncensored badman of the stage. Tony 'TIME 4 SUM AKSION' Law. Feel like there's more gold mining that particular route this has taken than imagining why someone who was never going to get on isn't on the show. Fucking Tony the magic cobbler of the old seaside Law.

frajer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 23, 2021, 12:09:44 PMDoyle is very thin skinned for a free speech, 'debate me sir' type. Reply to one of his tweets with something like 'tell us a joke Andrew you useless twat' and see how quick he blocks you.

Ah they all do, it's both ludicrous and depressingly rote that all the people complaining about free speech being cancelled are the ones who howl and huff with indignation if anyone dares oppose them.

It's a shame to hear about Tony Law, I didn't realise that was his angle these days (and his work I enjoyed in the past didn't seem to show this).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: frajer on December 23, 2021, 12:31:19 PMIt's a shame to hear about Tony Law, I didn't realise that was his angle these days (and his work I enjoyed in the past didn't seem to show this).

Yeah same, couldn't tell you what his stances were because his shows were largely a nonsense stream of apolitical conscious. If he's pushing that bollocks I doubt I'll bother with him again.

Johnny Yesno

Goldentony

"take off attack helicopter eh, ya hoser!" see the issue with that is it works conceptually doesnt it because a helicopter takes off, if Law had any sense he'd open with that

Johnny Yesno

Has anyone else been listening to Radio 4's Think with Pinker? The episode You Can't Think That! (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0012fm1) feels to me like a way for the right to jemmy open the door for this kind comedy.

Goldentony

QuoteHas anyone else been listening to Radio 4

ah your first mistake here mate

jobotic

I'm not sure what I make of Sadowitz (never seen him) but he's obviously an outsider and not part of the establishment pretending to be brave like these cunts.

Pink Gregory

Ruling class wouldn't look twice at Sadowitz.

Ultimately, they don't actually care about comedy.  It's about using their positions and their benefactors to spread their ruling class ideology in areas of culture in which there is to resistance to it. 

Rather what they accuse us filthy reds of doing.

jobotic

Precisely, which is why when it's shit and gets no listeners that not a really a victory for anyone.

pigamus

Quote from: jobotic on December 23, 2021, 03:26:49 PMPrecisely, which is why when it's shit and gets no listeners that not a really a victory for anyone.

It might be a victory for the BBC in terms of showing why it doesn't work. If it's a big enough disaster/becomes a joke it might quiet down the clamour for anti-woke comedy for a bit (he says hopefully)

George Oscar Bluth II

They've made a rod for their own back, either it's shite and they have to actually cancel it and these idiots whine forever or it's popular and we've got a publicly funded rightwing whine-a-thon on the radio every week.

Kankurette

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 23, 2021, 12:09:44 PMDoyle is very thin skinned for a free speech, 'debate me sir' type. Reply to one of his tweets with something like 'tell us a joke Andrew you useless twat' and see how quick he blocks you.
I think he was the one who blocked Sam Whyte and called her all sorts, can't remember why. Snowflake. Is he the one behind Titania McGrath or is that the other unfunny Andrew?

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah that's him and some man-bun parody account that's basically the same as Titiana.