Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:47:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

James Webb Space Telescope

Started by Alberon, December 24, 2021, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Bad news everyone, the Alphonso Bonzo Space Telescope has just knocked this into the sun and run off with its girlfriend.

NASA should never have put so much lunch money aboard.

oy vey

Quote from: Replies From View on December 26, 2021, 07:07:54 PMMay as well pop the kettle on then

Or purchase approximately 10^150 kettles and theory states one should spontaneously boil itself. I have a few Argos gift cards.

idunnosomename

This cunt seen the big bang yet

oy vey

First image is a fat old bearded man with a punchably smug look on his face like he's done good. Think Bernard Cribbins being fellated. In infrared.

Video Game Fan 2000

Instead of looking into the past, why don't they turn it round and look through the other end to see into the future? I'd love to see what clothes we'll be wearing and what cars will look like in the year 10000.

Video Game Fan 2000

They could solve poverty if they did that to see future lottery numbers

Replies From View

Video Game Fan 2000

Especially because they're nerds

touchingcloth

If they reversed the telescope we'd probably be able to see the other way in time.

You mean sort of back to the... future? I dunno, I don't really understand science stuff.
Anyway, I think the year 10000 will be like this.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on January 02, 2022, 04:34:41 PMYou mean sort of back to the... future? I dunno, I don't really understand science stuff.

No, I mean forward from the future. Think about it. Telescopes.

Sherman Krank

idunnosomename

Your great great great grandaughter

Is pretty fine

mothman

The sunshields appear to have deployed successfully, I think the next step (tomorrow) will be separating and tensioning the five separate layers of the shield.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 02, 2022, 05:35:42 PMThe sunshields appear to have deployed successfully, I think the next step (tomorrow) will be separating and tensioning the five separate layers of the shield.

Without a solid ground to peg them to, it's going to be the most stressful tent set-up ever

NoSleep

They'll be flapping about in that solar wind. What were they thinking?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on January 02, 2022, 07:02:20 PMThey'll be flapping about in that solar wind. What were they thinking?

It's okay, it's going to be cloudy tomorrow. That's lucky. Why didn't they do this at night?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on January 02, 2022, 04:34:41 PMAnyway, I think the year 10000 will be like this.

Yesss! Fuckin' futuristic dominoes! And a paper plane you can throw in a confined space. Wish I could afford cryogenics now.

Video Game Fan 2000

That's what the 80s would've been like if rock n roll was never invented

NoSleep

shiftwork2

Astronomy passed me by, which is pretty odd as my undercrackers were at Manchester Physics & Astronomy department with Jodrell Bank (I think) part of it. Just been for a stroll in a village with almost zero light pollution and they're most definitely out tonight and I can't even locate The Plough.  Maybe this is the year I'll get round to learning something.

Anyway yes cheers Albers for these space updates.

Butchers Blind

I'm worried when this thing becomes self aware and then turns its gaze upon us.

Captain Z

This cunt seen the big bang yet?

Dr Rock

Quote from: NoSleep on January 02, 2022, 08:05:18 PM

I say, that lady from the past with a number for a name from the future is rather attractive by modern conventional standards, what.

If you ask me to predict future fashions, I'd think 'are we all wearing hats'? If yes, then in the future no. And the other way around

Fr.Bigley

I am waiting for the James Woods telescope.

mothman

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on January 03, 2022, 12:50:48 AMI am waiting for the James Woods telescope.
"Ooh, a piece of candy!"
Quote from: Replies From View on January 02, 2022, 05:55:21 PMWithout a solid ground to peg them to, it's going to be the most stressful tent set-up ever

Well, you know where to find me if you get cold.

Replies From View

I'm already feeling nauseous with the fabric billowing around and not staying in place

Getting quite suffocated, argh help tangled

How to stop imagining this, pls

Why is it just me by myself I need another pair of hands

Alberon

Tensioning is about to begin!

QuoteIn a media teleconference, NASA officials said Webb will begin tightening the tension on the 1st layer of the five-layer sunshield on Webb today after two days of rest and power system optimization.

Two issues occurred over the New Year's Day holiday weekend.

First, Webb's solar arrays were not generating as much power as they could due to their factory settings. At no point was the space telescope in need of power, but NASA rebalanced the arrays so that they can now work at their peak efficiency.

Second, the motors used to tension Webb's sunshield were not staying cool enough as flight controllers preferred. They commanded Webb to change its orientation in space in a way that will keep its motors cooler during the deployment phase.
With both of those fixes in, Webb appears to be doing well in its deployment.

The tensioning process for Webb's sunshield should take at least three days, NASA officials said

TrenterPercenter

Question.

Is there a reason the deployments take place over the distance that they do? Would it not be better to it all happen once it was in space and then if something when wrong it might have been fixable somehow (I dunno perhaps orbiting the moon or something).

Of course there is a reason for this just wondering why, if anyone knows?