Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rewatching Nighty Night

Started by Dr Rock, December 24, 2021, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

It's pretty great. Julia Davis is a dark, dark thing of wonder. Haven't started season 2 yet. I might have more to say if this thread takes off.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Unfunny, unrealistic, nasty, nihilistic shit.

Ok, cheers.

Magnum Valentino

When you look back at the earliest threads that are still viewable on this board the notable recurring hatreds are those of Nighty Night and the Mighty Boosh.

I have not seen this but wanted to mention that to see if consensus has measurably changed.

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 24, 2021, 10:50:36 AMIt's pretty great. Julia Davis is a dark, dark thing of wonder. Haven't started season 2 yet. I might have more to say if this thread takes off.

In my memory season 2 was a really big disappointment and deteriorated into wildly over-the-top cartoonish grossout.  Not that wildy over-the-top cartoonish grossout doesn't have its charm, but it has to be funny as well.  It has been absolute years since I watched it though so I'd be interested in your take on season 2.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I like how, many years after " Nighty Night", Julia Davis showed how she had matured as a writer with that subtly written scene in " Sally4ever", in which a man simultaneously wanks over her prone figure while simultaneously shitting into her mouth, and this activity is witnessed by the man's wife and young daughter.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 24, 2021, 12:40:44 PMI like how, many years after " Nighty Night", Julia Davis showed how she had matured as a writer with that subtly written scene in " Sally4ever", in which a man simultaneously wanks over her prone figure while simultaneously shitting into her mouth, and this activity is witnessed by the man's wife and young daughter.

It sounds like Julia Davis programmes are basically just a filmed version of the aristocrats joke... how grim.  There was something in the second series of NN that was really unpleasant, it was something about Jill trying to impregnate herself from sperm from Don and Cath's son.  Who was only meant to be 12 or 13 IIRC.  Can't remember the details and daren't Google, just know that it was the point where I realised that I wasn't finding it funny any more.

Glenn Bulb was an awesome character.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 24, 2021, 12:40:44 PMI like how, many years after " Nighty Night", Julia Davis showed how she had matured as a writer with that subtly written scene in " Sally4ever", in which a man simultaneously wanks over her prone figure while simultaneously shitting into her mouth, and this activity is witnessed by the man's wife and young daughter.

A scene cued up by revealing his fetish earlier AND by having the child say 'why is that man pooing on that woman?' In case anyone somehow missed what was happening on screen

Ambient Sheep

As I recall, Nighty Night S1 was liked on here and S2 was hated.

Apart from one brief clip, I've never seen it.  Someone bought me the DVDs many years ago, must watch them.

Dr Rock

I'd say season 2 was unnecessary. Moving the action away from suburbia added nothing. It relies more on gross-out humour. BUT I still enjoy Julia Davis's Jill in full serial killer mode casually murdering or try to murder anyone in the way of her ever changing goals. Plus you see Alan Partridge's Lynn (Felicity Montagu) playing a much more sexual role, with presumable fake knockers?

It's not as good, but it doesn't deserve hate.

shlug

There were some good bits in the first series let down by some contrived situations and overreliance on ""dark"" humour that comes off more cold than comedy. League of Gentlemen did ""dark"" comedy better and the situations were somehow more believable in the cartoonish Royston Vasey than wherever Nighty Night was set.

That being said, the cast was great (if a little underutilised given the talent) and the theme tune was a proper earworm.

Overall I'm feeling a strong 5.

Lost Oliver

Enjoyed the first series but didn't finish the second.

Human Remains on the otherhand was, and still is, one of the best shows to have been shown on the beeb.

Dr Rock

Mobius

I rewatched Nighty Night recently and thought it was fantastic. Series 2 isn't as good but still funny I think.

Where/how can you watch Human Remains nowadays?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mobius on December 25, 2021, 11:14:15 AMI rewatched Nighty Night recently and thought it was fantastic. Series 2 isn't as good but still funny I think.

Where/how can you watch Human Remains nowadays?

It's not on Birate Pay. Daily Motion

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x74hpsl

Watching it now

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Human Remains towers over Nighty Night.

I remember the DVD being amazing, filled with worthwhile features for a comparatively little-known show.

They had the original Brydon/Davis improvisations the finished shows were built around. It was fascinating seeing the creative process & their preoccupations - Davis illness, Brydon baldness & inferiority.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 24, 2021, 06:27:03 PMAs I recall, Nighty Night S1 was liked on here and S2 was hated.

S2 was probably hated more than it really deserved because S1 was pretty good, and it suffered by comparison.

Perhaps there was a basic misunderstanding by the writer(s); S1 was praised for being dark and occasionally over-the-top and gross, which was more unusual then than it is now.  Perhaps in response with what the vieweing public wanted,  S2 was made far darker and grosser; but amusement doesn't necessarily scale up in proportion.  There's (imho) a balance in darkness/grotesqueness, some is funny but there's diminishing returns.