Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: The Ritings of Robert Fett

Started by madhair60, December 29, 2021, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

first epasode of the new Star War's serial has "dropped" and is available now on Disney+, plans start at £6.99/month

Old Nehamkin

Does anyone actually die in this franchise any more.

Like what are the stakes. Major characters will visibly get killed in the most dramatic fashion possible then they'll just sort of arbitraily be alive again. Doesn't seem like a good way to tell a story.

Old Nehamkin

Incidentally if there was a way I could bet on Samuel L Jackson specifically popping up again in that upcoming Obi Wan Kenobi tv show then I would probably put down about £200. He's one of the big dead people they haven't got round to bringing back to life yet. Imagine the twitter reactions when they see his purple lightsaber fire up. It simply must happen.

mjwilson

Quite a boring first episode, doesn't really have anything happening beyond obvious setup and obvious flashbacks.

Crenners

Great
The mandalorian is my favourite ever TV show (it overtook LOST) so I can't wait for this. Its gonna be my favourite ever TV show.

Dex Sawash

bgmnts

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on December 29, 2021, 10:56:32 AMDoes anyone actually die in this franchise any more.

To be fair Fett survived the Sarlaac in the mid 90s.

But yeah it is a bit like marvel comics in that nobody actually dying removes any sense of stakes or peril.

I suppose they finally decided to kill off Han Solo 30 years too late in Force Awakens, that was something.

Are the fans to blame or is it spineless creatives/execs?

madhair60

A story of a beloved man coming back to life from the dead is often considered "the greatest story ever told"

mothman

Putting a reminder in my calendar to post lots of "Huh, nobody stays dead anymore in these franchises" messages in Christians' timelines next Easter.

Old Nehamkin

EDIT: actually this is idiotic.

idunnosomename

What about Jonah. He got eaten by a monster and got out

Custard

Didn't The Mandalorian already do exactly the same thing as this show?

Hope there's a mini Jabba that we can buy next Christmas for 49.99!

Key

Quote from: bgmnts on December 29, 2021, 11:54:02 AMI suppose they finally decided to kill off Han Solo 30 years too late in Force Awakens, that was something.
Only to bring him back as a ghost/hallucination in Ep9

JamesTC

Quote from: madhair60 on December 29, 2021, 12:15:30 PMA story of a beloved man coming back to life from the dead is often considered "the greatest story ever told"

And then he goes and saves some whales.

bgmnts

Quote from: Key on December 29, 2021, 12:58:02 PMOnly to bring him back as a ghost/hallucination in Ep9

Well I suppose if ghosts count then they started all this halfway through the first film.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Steven Toast is there as the obligatory droid.

The ghost/hallucination scene from Ep. 9 was a way to address the impossibility to have Ben redeemed by Leia's intervention, since Carrie Fisher had some difficulties to be on the set. So, they needed the other parent. The writer actually recycled the exact same setup he had in Batman V Superman, when Kevin Costner pops up in the middle of nowhere to have a one-to-one with his son.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 29, 2021, 08:04:29 PMThe writer actually recycled the exact same setup he had in Batman V Superman, when Kevin Costner pops up in the middle of nowhere to have a one-to-one with his son.

Another thing he recycled from Batman V Superman was the film being shit.

Povidone

Well that was great! They showed the backstory of how Bobby Feet got out of the monster from the Return of the Jedi and also set up the backstory of how he got that funny stick from the Mandalorian.

It's not often I say this but these are the kind of moments I consume content for.

bakabaka

Quote from: Povidone on December 29, 2021, 10:07:20 PM...also set up the backstory of how he got that funny stick from the Mandalorian.
So I googled 'tickling stick', as you would.
I wasn't prepared for the result: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30084365

Povidone

...I... not sure what I expected there.

"The bosh don't like the tickle stick up'em!"

Mr Trumpet

Does he fight a different monster and/or space Nazi every week like in The Mandalorian? Or is this some sort of mad Goodfellas type story with lasers? I'll probably check it out either way. Temuera Morrison has always been impressively charismatic when playing bastards.

kalowski

I enjoyed it a lot. Was great to see Boba escape the Sarlacc and to see him in Jabba's palace.

mothman

Woah! Hold the phone - four arms? Come off it. That's a step too far for me. I was fine with it being in another galaxy a long time ago but there are humans and they speak English. And when they decided to go megawoke and only have people who were black or female - in space?! Why, the very idea! But I'm not stone-hearted or a racist or anything, I just chalked it all up to whimsical fun. But four arms? Nope, red line crossed there I'm afraid, I'm out.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

When they announced The Mandalorian, I wondered why they didn't just make a Boba Fett show. Now they've done that and I'm wondering why they haven't made more Mandalorian.

I was surprised to see Robert Rodriguez directed it, since the action scenes weren't all that. The one with the shield blokes was just them standing around for what felt like ten minutes.

Temuera Morrison's teeth are distracting.

Povidone

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 30, 2021, 05:30:00 PMWhen they announced The Mandalorian, I wondered why they didn't just make a Boba Fett show. Now they've done that and I'm wondering why they haven't made more Mandalorian.

I said this to mate about it before watching the first episode, having had such success with the Mandalorian this show seems like redundant fan service.

However I enjoyed it enough. More of the same in this case isn't necessarily a bad thing, I cannot be arsed with Star Wars at all but I find this stuff very watchable, no high ambitions and no fucking jedi, just a half hour of breezy sci-fi daftness.

I'd agree though that fight in the street with the shield blokes was distractingly sluggish even by Star Wars standards, Ming Na Wen finally showing her age a bit?

Magnum Valentino

Anyone heard what it's going to be about?

That was just 35 minutes of things happening. Can you have a plot without a story?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I assume it's going to be him building up his street cred among the scum and villainy, intercut with flashbacks. I don't much care about that at the moment, though - I'd rather they'd continued the story of the Mandalorian and baby Yoda. Would Mando have continued questioning his dogma? Would there ever be justice for all those frogspawn that Grogu ate?

bgmnts

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 30, 2021, 07:55:14 PMI assume it's going to be him building up his street cred among the scum and villainy, intercut with flashbacks. I don't much care about that at the moment, though - I'd rather they'd continued the story of the Mandalorian and baby Yoda. Would Mando have continued questioning his dogma? Would there ever be justice for all those frogspawn that Grogu ate?

Would love it if they turned Baby Yoda evil. Just out of nowhere, he spends a bit too much time eating frog babies and bam he goes a bit red and starts murdering people.