Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Upsetting people with mild insults

Started by Sebastian Cobb, December 29, 2021, 08:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dog

Told a friend he was being a muppet and he got really angry. Turned out that his dad and one of his brothers were muppets, and he was very sensitive about it. Anyway, I'm much more careful now.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on December 29, 2021, 09:25:05 PMMy brother once gave me a lift somewhere and when we got there, he opened his car boot to get something out; inside was a rope and a large roll of parcel tape.  I said "Never had you down as a serial killer!" and he gave me a Look and was very obviously really, really annoyed about it.  Honestly never anticipated that, thought it was very obviously a joke and a mild and silly one at that.  He was moving house btw so the parcel tape was totally explicable.

Same thing happened to me with a mate! He was in a right huff all night about it. IIRC he had a hammer and some tape in his car boot (car borrowed off his mother, so it wasn't his car). I repeated the joke later with other people present and got the same reaction.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 31, 2021, 12:11:00 PMSame thing happened to me with a mate! He was in a right huff all night about it. IIRC he had a hammer and some tape in his car boot (car borrowed off his mother, so it wasn't his car). I repeated the joke later with other people present and got the same reaction.

Funny thing is, if someone said that to me, I'd just laugh, I wouldn't take it at all badly, and I guess you wouldn't either or you wouldn't have said it.   So here's the question...who are the weird ones?  Is it brother/friend, for being massively oversensitive about a joke.  Or is it us, for thinking that raising the possibility that someone is a serial killer is a mild witticism?

Buelligan

If someone said it to me I'd feel obliged to add them to the others if I'm honest.

Point of honour, really.  Unmistakable glove, thrown.

Cerys

When my mum was a teenager she jokingly called one of her friends a brazen hussy.  The friend didn't see the joke and refused to talk to her for ages afterwards.  History is silent on whether or not the friend was a lady of negotiable affection.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I quite like "oaf" and may use it against my father in future, so thanks for that. Any more? "cretin", "simpleton", that sort of thing.

Sherringford Hovis

Oaf and Oik both deserve capitalisation if the person to whom they are being applied is being particularly oafish or oiksome.

Shaky

"Berk"
"Jerk"
"Twit"
"Terminal Motherfucker"

Fr.Bigley

I got likened to a local alkie over Christmas, despite the fact I stopped drinking, haven't seen this person in years and haven't had a blow out around them in 7-8 years. To make matters worse, this was in front of their family and friends who sat their judging me despite never meeting me before.

The aLkie in question was there the day before so all these judging cunts had some reference. I was literally there helping out because they needed staff. Never help people out. Next year I'm gunna tell all and sundrie to fuck off.

Pissed my missus off no end.

Dr Rock

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on December 31, 2021, 07:55:47 PMFunny thing is, if someone said that to me, I'd just laugh, I wouldn't take it at all badly, and I guess you wouldn't either or you wouldn't have said it.   So here's the question...who are the weird ones?  Is it brother/friend, for being massively oversensitive about a joke.  Or is it us, for thinking that raising the possibility that someone is a serial killer is a mild witticism?

Definitely the offended people were murderers or fantasized about murdering. Super-definitively, like you should call the police.

I reckon Buelligan is a serial killer, trying the old double-bluff. Good poster though, so it evens out.

Buelligan

Thanks but I'm not sure you should say that kind of thing, Dr Rock.  No.  Not if you know what's good for you.

Tony Tony Tony

Used to work with a guy who whenever he wanted to insult people would say "congratulations you have been upgraded from buffoon to oaf. Want to try for halfwit?" 

Right cunt he was.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Porky on December 29, 2021, 09:42:52 PMI Worked with someone who had killed seven people .. he was a train driver.

Fair play, it's quite a trick to get the train to mount the platform.

flotemysost

I stayed with my parents for a few days last year and at some point my mum called me (a 32 year old adult) a "silly girl" because I'd accidentally forgotten something at my flat, which hurt and infuriated me far more than a cutting takedown or more crass insult would have done.

Once, in a new job, I made a passing observation (not unkindly, but unwisely in retrospect) about the average age of the workforce there and instantly regretted it when I realised it sounded unintentionally like I was basically just calling them a bunch of doddery old cunts. Joke's on me because I got fired a few months later!

Butchers Blind

Once when we was younger my brother was doing the washing up and he dropped a plate on the floor which broke. I laughed at him and said, "fucking feet for hands" after which he got really upset by this remark and wouldn't speak to me for a week. Odd it was at the time but I always remind him of it if we have the chance to talk these days, which is not often.