Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Santa-nder

Started by Icehaven, December 30, 2021, 02:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Santander "accidentally" gave away 130 million quid to thousands of people on Christmas day
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59826345

Ho ho ho. Did you get any? Would you give it back if you didn't have to? Is this a disgruntled employee putting the santa into Santander? If as they say a lot of it is double payments to employees of businesses, then how come so many people apparently get paid on Christmas day? And on a Saturday?

I'd stick it in an ISA until I either had to pay it back or it became apparent I wasn't going to have to. Only because it's Santander's fuckup so they'll lose the money rather than a customer (although I daresay they'll pass the expense on to their other customers somehow).

olliebean

No, I didn't get anything, but about a decade ago Santander stole 40 quid from me (actually £48 if you include VAT), but I couldn't do anything about it other than send them a pissy email because they did it via a method that was allowed within their terms.

JamesTC

That explains the internal email I received this morning that I mostly ignored. I didn't realise the issue was this widespread. When I saw that there was a duplication of a payment run, I just assumed it was a small amount of payments.

From what they say on the email, everything will be recalled. They are working with the other banks to recall everything and, where the money is no longer available, the other bank will directly contact the customer to ensure the money is returned.

Icehaven

Quote from: JamesTC on December 30, 2021, 03:27:13 PMThey are working with the other banks to recall everything and, where the money is no longer available, the other bank will directly contact the customer to ensure the money is returned.

Well they can try...

I've heard of things like this happening to individuals and they've had hell's delight getting their money back, if they did at all, but then that's usually because they typed a wrong digit rather than a grand scale technical glitch which can presumably be undone somehow, provided the money's still there. Plus it's a bank and they're all in on it together anyway.

DrGreggles

I had some problems with Santander a few years ago when a loan was taken out on my account, paid in, and immediately transferred out. You'd think this would be a red flag for them.
First I was aware of it was when they called me asking why I'd missed the first repayment.
I suspected this was an inside job when I went into a branch to discuss it and my account, which was locked pending investgation, had been unlocked again without my knowledge.
They tried to say that there wasn't anything they could do, as it was now with their security team, but as it stood the loan was still outstanding and they couldn't discuss an ongoing case with me.
Not too impressed with this, I got the filth involved and opened a case against Santander for fraud and identity theft.
Received a letter a few weeks later from them informing me that their investigation had found in my favour (nice of them) and I would need to go back into the branch to unlock my account again.
When I got there it was already unlocked. Closed the account there and then.

About a year later Santander's security team got in touch telling me that they were still investigating and me closing my account was "suspicious".
I may have done a swear. Never heard about it again.

In short, Santander is a twat.

mothman

When the whole overdraft charges thing came out a few years (actually more than a decade) back, I went through the motions of trying to claim back the hundreds they'd taken off us. They were like, arsed, cigs, and then the financial crash conveniently happened and suddenly the banks were the only thing protecting us all from the thing they'd created and they've been untouchable ever since. So yeah fuck 'em hope they don't get any of it back.

Blue Jam

canadagoose

Bloody Santanderse. I refuse to deal with them - they screwed me around innumerable times when I was with them. My parents are with them for some reason even though they had endless bother; I think it's just the cashback thing.