Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:29:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

have you ever upset the internet?

Started by madhair60, December 30, 2021, 09:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I am a "games journalist" which means occasionally I will like a video game others dislike, or vice versa, and will briefly upset the internet, receiving hundreds, thousands of tweets about how stupid I am. Today is one of those days. This does not bother me as I know it will last a day, tops, but it get me wondering if anyone here had ever been "called out" or whatever and been the main character of twitter for a while.

Crenners

You did good.

Even if you were wrong, if it upsets the wanker fans, you were right. I didn't like it, either.

But no, personally I've never used Twitter in a contentious way. I mute pretty much everything, everyone and every word and just talk about things I enjoy.

shoulders

Once I had the Chester twiterati saying 'shut up', 'no nothing cunt', 'total bullshiter', 'arsewipe centrifuge', 'cockend', 'wanker if anyone is' and 'fuck off back to Leeds', and 'get better taste', and '650 followers why am i even'.

Buelligan

I've never had any trouble at all, everyone on the internet is as kind and reasonable as an angel in my experience.

The Guppy

I have the same name as some big-shot American CEO fella, and I joined Twitter before he did so I got the good username and he's saddled with "Th3Guppy1". So when he does something controversial I get the grief.

But he's a boring cunt who runs boring companies, so it's rare.

Quote from: madhair60 on December 30, 2021, 09:02:59 PMoccasionally I will like a video game others dislike, or vice versa, and will briefly upset the internet

I'm wondering if the game in question is Unpacking, because I noticed it got some love and I bet that wound up all the dicks. Or maybe you are one of the wound-up dicks!

(I don't actually know if the dicks are wound up, but they usually are.)

Buelligan

They're wound up like clockwork, mate.

The Guppy

Buelligan

And the unpredictable weathercocks, takes all sorts to wind up the internet until it's fucking hopping.

pigamus

Think I mentioned this in another thread - I once tweeted that I thought Cold War Steve was shit, and ten minutes later Cold War Steve himself replied "Why you so hurtful?", and then the biggest pile-on of all time. God it was a strange day. I still don't know how he came to see it - Googling himself I suppose.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: shoulders on December 30, 2021, 10:04:45 PMOnce I had the Chester twiterati saying 'shut up', 'no nothing cunt', 'total bullshiter', 'arsewipe centrifuge', 'cockend', 'wanker if anyone is' and 'fuck off back to Leeds', and 'get better taste', and '650 followers why am i even'.

Didn't even know that you had family in Chester.

non capisco

The only person I've ever possibly offended on Twitter was Top Of The Pops repeats irritant Nicky Campbell, a man so impossibly smug hosting the programme in the late 80s that it actually made you long for the blazer clad void of Bruno Brookes. Say 'terpischorean' again. I dare you. I double dare you, motherfucker. Anyway, turns out he vanity searches his name directly after that Sunday morning discussion programme he does on BBC1 and let me know he'd seen me calling him a pillock by way of that 'monkey hiding its eyes' emoji. Luckily for me Nicky Campbell has no fans and so I didn't receive a pile on from all the Nick-Nacks or Camp-belles or whatever they'd call themselves if they existed.

I need to get off Twitter, that parasocial side that can occasionally ensnare me is a bit cringe. Al Needham knows I love him by now, I should think.

Wonderful Butternut

Most I've done is create a few dozen salty Tans by suggesting in a YouTube comment that the Brits might be "the baddies", historically speaking.

The flailing was fun to read.

madhair60

i once upset the creator of Scarfolk by saying I didn't really like Scarfolk much, but to their credit they deleted their call-out tweet when I explained their followers were being _really_ mean to me lol

my article is trending now (!?) so i think this is gonna get worse before it gets better

Barry Admin

Yeah, with a thing I wrote about internet shaming some years back. It really blew up, and I had many, many Noel Fielding fans giving me grief. Also ended up in an extended argument with his DJ girlfriend. I can't even remember the full extent of it now, but it caused some other shit to happen that I don't even want to go into. I will say that I've been disappointed time and again over the last 20 years by how quickly internet people will backstab me.

Anyway, I very patiently and politely dealt with as many of the people directly castigating me as I could, upto the point when they'd usually call me a fuckwit and block me or whatever. Don't think I'd have the energy for that now, especially writing on phone.

Think some other things I'd written really upset a lot of Gervais fans and the like, can't really remember. The response to my hatred of the Nathan Barely review copy was kind of unexpected. Naive, in retrospect, but I didn't know so many people would end up reading it.

Glad you're coping well with it anyway, don't let the bastards grind you down.

chveik

keep making the nerds mad, you're doing god's work

shoulders

Cuntbeaks

I think it was Mark Twain that said, "Internet opinions are like arseholes, we all have them, but they're best kept to yourself".

bgmnts

I told my mum that I wanted to write about video games as a kid and she sort of laughed it off and said to do something proper.

Whilst that has had some severe impact on my life path I feel, i dont regret it at the moment, knowing that an opinion could lead to soke severe reprisals.

It's amazing how easy it is to upset people, to be honest.

mothman

I wandered into a Twitter spat between a bunch of people including Louis Barfe (formerly of these forums) and Dom Joly. They were rather gently (I thought) ribbing Joly's comedy output, and he wasn't taking it well. I then decided to make a crap joke based on a line from the Simpsons - "I'm more of a well-wisher, in that I don't wish you any specific harm." He blocked the lot of us.

That is the closest I've ever come to anything equivalent to the thread title, and it's not very close at all. Sorry.

bgmnts

I got outright banned from Twitter permanently for rightfully wishing death on Louise Mensch. Must have upset someone.

mothman

I'm blocked by Shatner and I've no idea why!

Louise Mensch on two occasions Liked Tweets of mine. Which is weird. Neither were political at least, so there's that. One was about Metallica at Glastonbury...

popcorn

I guest-edited (ran? curated? fucked about with? what is the verb) a popular Twitter account about life in Tokyo for a week. I filled it with stupid jokes about "piping hot sushi" and how green tea was becoming more and more popular after having been introduced to Japan by Starbucks. I thought it was all an obvious silly wheeze but I managed to attract the ire of several Twitter users who saw it as "trolling", like I was trying to wind people up on purpose, and were really offended. I was amazed. I can't imagine what it would be like to be an actual famous person, jesus christ.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on December 30, 2021, 11:21:37 PMI think it was Mark Twain that said, "Internet opinions are like arseholes, we all have them, but they're best kept to yourself".

Massive hypocrite. He blocked me on twitter.

Kelvin

EDIT: Don't want to be misconstrued.

Thursday

Quote from: popcorn on December 31, 2021, 01:02:11 AMI guest-edited (ran? curated? fucked about with? what is the verb) a popular Twitter account about life in Tokyo for a week. I filled it with stupid jokes about "piping hot sushi" and how green tea was becoming more and more popular after having been introduced to Japan by Starbucks. I thought it was all an obvious silly wheeze but I managed to attract the ire of several Twitter users who saw it as "trolling", like I was trying to wind people up on purpose, and were really offended. I was amazed. I can't imagine what it would be like to be an actual famous person, jesus christ.

Yeah I've definitely noticed this being a thing, I think it's probably a certain demographic who mistakes jokes for trolling. Weird online nerds that just don't grasp humor.

Crenners

All that said, it is funny to me that your 'Roland on the Ropes is better than Tropical Freeze' kind of comment which is funny on here is really taken to heart by people on Twitter.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Crenners on December 31, 2021, 09:01:46 AMAll that said, it is funny to me that your 'Roland on the Ropes is better than Tropical Freeze' kind of comment which is funny on here is really taken to heart by people on Twitter.

THIS CUNT SAID WHAT?!

JaDanketies

The first terf pileon of note was when i said something like "I doubt terfs are more likely to have been a victim of sexual assault than the average." was construed as me wishing rape on terfs - I barely even knew what a terf was! - and even a mention on kiwifarms. That was probably just over two years ago, I remember my phone blowing up while Christmas shopping and the sad realisation that I'd lost a full day to it. I think I was still getting shit for a week.

Tony Tony Tony

Not wishing to derail the thread too much but ever gained any bizarre follows?

I got followed by Keith Chegwin, before he carked it obvs, after I made an innocuous comment about a spat he was having with IIRC Ricky Gervais.

Just goes to show how even hardened Celebs can get a tad paranoid about what is shouted into the void about them.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on December 31, 2021, 09:42:46 AMNot wishing to derail the thread too much but ever gained any bizarre follows?

I got followed by Keith Chegwin, before he carked it obvs, after I made an innocuous comment about a spat he was having with IIRC Ricky Gervais.

Just goes to show how even hardened Celebs can get a tad paranoid about what is shouted into the void about them.

Did you ever post about chip shops?