Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:28:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Arise, Sir Warcriminal

Started by Alberon, December 31, 2021, 10:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: KennyMonster on January 01, 2022, 11:14:16 PMYes he/they did this but Hills took time out in 2020 to specially do a piece addressing Corbyn directly.
It was following the EHRC finding on AS in Labour.
Corbyn's response said that he was 'opposed to all types of racism'.

Hills said that this was the same as the people who are opposed to BLM saying "all lives matter, not just black ones".
This wasn't just repeating smears for a cheap laugh because he was too dumb to research the issue properly, this was him deliberately equating Corbyn with hard line racists.

Rewarded for his cuntery.

What a fucking shitbag. 

Buelligan

And that cunt, Frank Field, gets a badge.  Do away with all of it NOW.

the Fallen

oh look the fake awards for the fraudulent society of rigged aristocracy

Whither, Lumley?

I hope some sort of hex causes each knighthood to turn sour. Linked inextricably to maladies and dispositions most rotten, to better mirror this cursed structure housing this cavalry of low men on the totem

shiftwork2

Do you know who had an OBE?  Jimmy Savile and Hitler.

Makes yer

Buelligan

Johnny Yesno

Dex Sawash

The Mollusk

Always admire folk who politely refuse and condemn this bollocks award but has there ever been anyone who's told them to shove their piss badge up their stupid cunted fucking arsehole? I'd like to hear about them if so.

beanheadmcginty

This thread has made me belatedly discover that Jonathan Van Tam is some sort of covid expert and not the fabulous Jesus lookalike off of Queer Eye.

Buelligan

If only we were all Jesus off Queer Eye, the world would be a far better place.

KennyMonster

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 02, 2022, 01:25:53 PMThis thread has made me belatedly discover that Jonathan Van Tam is some sort of covid expert and not the fabulous Jesus lookalike off of Queer Eye.

He used to do films before that too, I think, "The Muscles From Brussels" they called him.

Fambo Number Mive

Lindsay Hoyle wants all former PMs to be offered a knighthood.

Quote"Whatever people might think, it is one of the toughest jobs in the world and I think it is respectful and it is the right thing to do, whether it is to Tony Blair or to David Cameron. They should all be offered that knighthood when they finish as prime minister," the Chorley MP said.

"I would say if you've been prime minister of this country, I do believe the country should recognise the service they've given," Sir Lindsay added.

I'd argue that Prime ministers are insulated from their decisions a lot more than people in other jobs. Even if they totally fuck things and only win one term, there are plenty of opportunities for them to find further work. They are surrounded by people who have an incentive to keep them in power, they earn a six figure salary and get accommodation provided.

I suppose they will need police protection for a long while after they leave power but in most other areas I think being a nurse or teacher is a lot harder than being a PM.

Also, telling that Hoyle regards a knighthood as such a big reward. The offer of a knighthood wouldn't get me to go on a five mile run let alone become Prime Minister.

Jerzy Bondov

If I'm ever offered an honour for services to posting unfunny shite online you can rest assured I will turn it down and that's a CAST IRON GUARANTEE

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 02, 2022, 07:37:31 PMIf I'm ever offered an honour for services to posting unfunny shite online you can rest assured I will turn it down and that's a CAST IRON GUARANTEE

On the other hand, Sir Cuellar has a certain ring to it.

shoulders

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 02, 2022, 07:37:31 PMIf I'm ever offered an honour for services to posting unfunny shite online you can rest assured I will turn it down and that's a CAST IRON GUARANTEE

Signed to help it ACHIEVE VICTORY

Cold Meat Platter

Tony B. Liar I call him, Stew

SpiderChrist

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 02, 2022, 01:13:35 PMAlways admire folk who politely refuse and condemn this bollocks award but has there ever been anyone who's told them to shove their piss badge up their stupid cunted fucking arsehole? I'd like to hear about them if so.

David Bowie and Paul Weller turned down honours, I believe

The Mollusk

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 02, 2022, 10:36:18 PMDavid Bowie and Paul Weller turned down honours, I believe

Yeah but did they tell the monarch to roll up the deed wrap it round the sword and push it very slowly into her ear until first the noise stopped and then until everything stopped

Stonefish

Knight of the garter? Does that mean he has to wear one of those sexy ribbon things on his thigh?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 02, 2022, 11:13:33 PMYeah but did they tell the monarch to roll up the deed wrap it round the sword and push it very slowly into her ear until first the noise stopped and then until everything stopped

That I cannot be sure of.

Buelligan

Quote from: Stonefish on January 02, 2022, 11:29:32 PMKnight of the garter? Does that mean he has to wear one of those sexy ribbon things on his thigh?

My mum told me when I was little, the Order was started by Edward III who was dancing with his far younger mistress, Alice Perrers, when she dropped something personal (a garter, a ribbon, a favour?).  He picked it up, returned it to her and said, Honi soit qui mal y pense (Shamed be whoever thinks ill of it) as a reproach to the racing, quite likely jealous, minds of his courtiers. 

After that, the ribbon was worn as a signal of support for the King's lover (and the King, I suppose) and being chivalric in general.  I can't find any support online for this story.

Did I say I think Blair's a cunt, btw?

It'll be the Lords, next.  I mean, as an old public schoolboy, I'm sure he like cricket.

olliebean

I'm surprised he's not in the Lords already, tbh. Kinnock's been in there since 2005, and he wasn't even PM.

idunnosomename

I think it's traditional for an outgoing PM to be offered a peerage, but none have taken one since Thatcher. Blair explicitly turned it down. "Not my scene" he said.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMore than 500,000 people have signed a petition calling for former Prime Minister Sir Tony Blair to have his knighthood removed.

The Labour politician, who was in power from 1997 to 2007, received the accolade in the New Year Honours List.

But the petition complains that his role in the Iraq war makes him "personally responsible" for many deaths and accuses him of "war crimes".

However, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said Sir Tony "deserves" a knighthood.

He told ITV's Good Morning Britain that the former prime minister had "vastly improved our country" and such recognition should be "straightforward".

And a government minister said it was "only right" to reward Sir Tony, who had done "many good things" for the UK...

It's telling a Tory minister thinks Blair has done "many good things" for the UK. I presume they are concerned that if Blair doesn't get his knighthood Cameron, May and Johnson won't either.

The Blair governments did do some good things for the UK, but that doesn't make up for Afghanistan,Iraq, the reliance on PFI, not cancelling the Millennium Dome and squandering an opportunity for real progressive change.

QuoteAsked whether Sir Tony's honour was a "thorny" issue, Sir Keir told GMB: "I don't think it's thorny at all. I think he deserves the honour.

"Obviously I respect the fact that people have different views. I understand there are strong views on the Iraq war. There were back at the time and there still are, but that does not detract from the fact that Tony Blair was a very successful prime minister of this country and made a huge difference to the lives of millions of people."

Vaccines minister Maggie Throup told LBC radio: "He did lots of good things and it's only right that we do honour our previous prime ministers."

If he's eventually given a peerage, I'd like to imagine this interview.

'So, Mr Blair, you're now a lord.'  Blair smiles a smug, toothy grin.

'You're a baron - and some might say that was oddly apt given how barren places in Iraq were left by airstrikes.'  Blair's grin freezes as his eyes bulge in rage.

Buelligan

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 04, 2022, 10:09:11 AMIt's telling a Tory minister thinks Blair has done "many good things" for the UK. I presume they are concerned that if Blair doesn't get his knighthood Cameron, May and Johnson won't either.

I think it's more that he's one of them.

Quote from: https://economicsociology.org/2018/03/19/thatcherisms-greatest-achievement/In 2002, twelve years after Margaret Thatcher left office, she was asked at a dinner what was  her  greatest  achievement.  Thatcher  replied:  "Tony  Blair  and  New  Labour.  We forced our opponents to change their minds."

boki

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 02, 2022, 01:13:35 PMAlways admire folk who politely refuse and condemn this bollocks award but has there ever been anyone who's told them to shove their piss badge up their stupid cunted fucking arsehole? I'd like to hear about them if so.
Closest thing I can think of is Benjamin Zephaniah's OBE rejection