Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:34:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2022

Started by dr beat, January 01, 2022, 07:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 21, 2022, 10:27:06 PMCrowd singing Right Said Fred (the Bernard Cribbins song).

Okay, I like it now.

Blue Jam

Ian Burns vs Atom Face on now. Wonder what the crowd will be singing...

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 22, 2022, 01:58:48 PMIan Burns vs Atom Face on now. Wonder what the crowd will be singing...
"Hammer Smashed Face" by Cannibal Corpse

Blue Jam

Daniel Wormald Womersley has just beaten Liam Highfield, which means we have an amateur in the last 16.

The fact that he's got further than AIDS did not go unmentioned by the Eurosport commentators.

The Culture Bunker

Isn't there three amateurs in the last 16? I think the Cypriot lad Vafaei is playing later is one of them.

I enjoyed this with no audience last season, but it's difficult to watch with a crowd. The atmosphere sounds horrible.

It'd be fine if it was a raucous with everyone joining in, but the reality is that it's small groups of pissed up Legend Garys trying to sing football songs during matches between Rod Lawler and Elliot Slessor.

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 23, 2022, 04:57:22 PMIsn't there three amateurs in the last 16? I think the Cypriot lad Vafaei is playing later is one of them.

Yes, Michael Georgiou got through just after I posted that, didn't know there was a third amateur through. If one of them wins I would love to get my microscope and observe the look on Shaun Murphy's face.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 23, 2022, 06:33:42 PMYes, Michael Georgiou got through just after I posted that, didn't know there was a third amateur through. If one of them wins I would love to get my microscope and observe the look on Shaun Murphy's face.
Billy Joe Castle is the third amateur, I think, based on what snooker.og says.

Blue Jam

Cheers. I knew that name so assumed he must be a pro, but I probably just remembered that name because it's funny. Sounds like the name of a Las Vegas resort hotel, or some ranch in Arizona owned by a millionaire.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on January 23, 2022, 05:07:56 PMI enjoyed this with no audience last season, but it's difficult to watch with a crowd. The atmosphere sounds horrible.

It'd be fine if it was a raucous with everyone joining in, but the reality is that it's small groups of pissed up Legend Garys trying to sing football songs during matches between Rod Lawler and Elliot Slessor.

It was astonishing how much lairier the audience was after this afternoon's mid-session interval. How pissed is it possible to get in 20 minutes?

I did like someone shouting "TUCK YER SHIRT IN!" at Andy Hicks. A more suave class of Gary.

Blue Jam

Why do people keep shouting "BORING"? It's snooker. They know what they signed up for.

Blue Jam

Reanne Evans is looking very glam. I hope Mark Allen has noticed and is distracted.

Blue Jam

Ha, Mark Williams vs Jamie Rhys Clarke coming up. Clarke and Jackson Page are probably from the same factory in Wales that produces young lads with luxuriant beards and no need to show ID in Wetherspoons.

Blue Jam

Jamie Rhys Clarke pretending to go to sleep on the arena enclosure, top Welsh bants. Shot of Jackson Page in the audience, anticipating a Mark Williams victory and planning the mother of all Nando's celebratory feasts.

The Culture Bunker

My wife is having a nervous fit before Vafaei's next match. She pointed out that his shaking hands with the (female) ref would be illegal back home.

Blue Jam

Awwww, unlucky Daniel Wormald.

Would love to see Vafaei go all the way now.

The Culture Bunker

If nothing else, it looks like he's got the five grand for highest break of the tournament, which must be a nice bonus.

Blue Jam

Another one-handed shot to finish. Well done Mark, you classy so-and-so.

Mark Williams vs Hossein Vafaei for the final pls.

The Culture Bunker

Williams (M) has been pretty ruthless in this tournament from what I've seen - doesn't spurn the chance and racks the points up.

Rooting for Vafaei, but this is the toughest opponent he's had this weekend and he can't afford any mistakes.

Blue Jam

Rhythm Of The Night isn't the best choice of walk-on music right now lads.

Blue Jam

The Culture Bunker

Honestly thought Vafaei had blown it when he risked that first red. What a bizarre way to get back into the tie, though. Berserk!

Blue Jam

Liang looks like he wants to smash up the gaff, poor sod.

Will be happy whoever wins but despite my Welshness I may be slightly rooting for Vafaei here.

The Culture Bunker

Even putting aside my bias based on nationality, I'd be rooting for Vafaei just as he's the lowest ranked of the two. However, I think he'll need to be absolutely 100% with every shot to take the trophy.

EOLAN

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 23, 2022, 10:35:47 PMLiang looks like he wants to smash up the gaff, poor sod.

Will be happy whoever wins but despite my Welshness I may be slightly rooting for Vafaei here.

Yep a rarity. A final where I very happy to root for either to win.

Blue Jam

Quote from: EOLAN on January 23, 2022, 10:41:34 PMYep a rarity. A final where I very happy to root for either to win.

Yeah, I haven't felt like this since Ronnie vs Kylo in the 2020 World Championship final. Gwaaaarn... eh, whatever.

The Culture Bunker

My other half probably would up half the street screaming when Williams conceded there.

Made up for the guy.

Blue Jam

Classy behaviour from Mark Williams there. Incredible performance, a well-deserved win, delighted for the infectiously cheerful Iranian.

kidney

Delighted for Vafaei! Hopefully the first of many trophies.

The opening red in that last match was beautiful.

The Culture Bunker

It was an amazing shot - I think if he hadn't sunk that one, it would have been a different matter.

Shame he blew the qualifying for the German Masters, so he can't keep up the momentum right away.