Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

At what age does it stop being 'no age'?

Started by danwho9, January 02, 2022, 09:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwho9

The annual Death List thread got me thinking - at what age would you generally consider a person to have had a good innings? Seems like these days someone dying in their 60s is seen as being too young, although naturally that's down to increasing life expectancy at least in the Western world.

MojoJojo

About the same age you stop falling over and start "having a fall".

peanutbutter

I think 60s is generally considered old enough unless they had kids? If they have kids it seems to depend on how old the grandkids (if any) are more than anything?

Alberon

No Age is anyone under fifteen years older than me, and I think it always will be.

Cloud

I'd say under about 75 these days but with the thought that really I'd rather my parents live to be like 100 or more

touchingcloth

chveik

Janie Jones

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 02, 2022, 09:21:33 PMAbout the same age you stop falling over and start "having a fall".
That's very well observed. I think there's a greetings card punchline there.

Butchers Blind

Don't like the expression "no age", it is an age. Die at 42 or whatever, that's the age. Unlucky.

QDRPHNC

Dr Rock

Alberon

Well, no I'm sorry, but 59 is too uncomfortably close to my age. So No Age has to extend to at least 67.

shoulders

Ferris

49: "no age"
51: "some age"
81: "good innings"
100: "did you hear his daughter is trying to sell bottles of gin with his face on it?"

Buelligan

Directly proportional to how much they deserved it, probably.

pancreas

dissolute ocelot

I think if you're middle class and not had long term health problems or extreme sport interests, you'd expect to get 80+. But obviously most people do fuck all for 80 years so it doesn't matter. I'm still waiting for one year of modest accomplishment and it'll be no age till I reach it.

oy vey

Tell your age to a large audience...

Spontaneous applause means it's a good innings. Heckled "fuck off cunt" means you're no age. I'm 92 and still no age apparently.

The Lurker

the Fallen

Quality, not quantity.

I find it interesting the use of "too young" to go.

Seen it used on people in their fifties and sixties like the OP has.

I guess the age thing is down to potential. If you die at 23 after a miserable, horrible life you'd be happy to jettison, then there'd still be sorrow that you could have turned it all around

Natural innit.

idunnosomename

118. After that you have no fucking business being alive quite frankly.

JaDanketies

I would be inclined to put it at 60, but because I know people in their 60s don't like to think that they're soon dead, I put it at 70 for politeness' sake.

Brundle-Fly

To have a hilarious pun based thread title for the announcement of your death on a CaB sub-forum?

Ferris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 07, 2022, 08:51:19 PMTo have a hilarious pun based thread title for the announcement of your death on a CaB sub-forum?

I'm trying to do something with Ferris/Ferryman. Two coins for the Ferrisman, or something.

Would take "TEDIOUS CANADA CUNT DEAD" tbh.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ferris on January 08, 2022, 12:49:24 AMI'm trying to do something with Ferris/Ferryman. Two coins for the Ferrisman, or something.

Would take "TEDIOUS CANADA CUNT DEAD" tbh.

Ferris in peace? Open goal.

Icehaven

I realised the other day that at 42 I'm the same age that one of my best friend's mums was when she died of cancer when we were about 17. I don't remember thinking at the time about how 42 was very young to die as it seemed such a long way off, it was parent age after all, and we were more focussed on the unthinkability of losing your mum when you were still only a teenager. Strangely enough I can see now that it's extremely young indeed.

wrec

Saw an unironic tweet about Peter Bogdanovich saying 82 was "too young". Balances out the time I heard a youngster saying about DJ Rashad, "he died... but he was old though" (34).

"No age" can stretch to about 70 as you don't expect people to die of old age yet so it still seems premature and due to misfortune.