Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:07:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee trending on Twitter as a result of his end of year newsletter

Started by MigraineBoy, January 03, 2022, 09:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Watched quite a few of this bloke's "if X star sung a theme tune" videos and I think they are really good. Even if Lee doesn't like them, does seem a bit bizarre to include him in the list.

Unless it's a different Darrell Maclaine that got up Lee's nose.

SteveDave

This made me LOL (laugh out loudly) in the list of records he's heard this year

Phil Minton – A Doughnut In One Hand (1998) *****

Dr Rock

Internet detectives have uncovered he's slagged off Mr Lee on Twitter a few months ago. Not much, but that might be your 'mystery' solved Darrell.

selectivememory

Jesus, what a baby. He should be more upset with all the people who've gone out of their way to tell him Stewart Lee thinks he's shit.

Dickie_Anders

Those Guardian articles do make me slightly hate Lee a bit. I mostly hate the weird pride he has in his own taste. I can understand wanting to show off your cool taste in music as a teenager, but you'd think he'd grown out of it at some point

Dr Rock

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on January 03, 2022, 11:26:20 AMThose Guardian articles do make me slightly hate Lee a bit. I mostly hate the weird pride he has in his own taste. I can understand wanting to show off your cool taste in music as a teenager, but you'd think he'd grown out of it at some point

Who thinks 'this Is the music I love, although I'm probably all wrong and its crap'

I STICK UP FOR YOU STEW!

A quick search reveals that Darrell (whose videos I enjoyed a lot last year) called Stew a bully on Twitter in July: https://twitter.com/darrellmaclaine/status/1418900070796300297

I imagine Stew (who claims he's not on Twitter but spends a lot of talking about people who tweet about him) saw that and thought it was fair game to include him in his list.

Jerzy Bondov

If he's on that list he's a cunt. Stewart Lee has never been incorrect about anything in his entire professional career.

kalowski

Indomitable Spirit

If I had one piece of advice for Darrell it would be incorporate more extreme bitterness like this into his act as it's a lot funnier than Bryan Adams sings the theme tune to Birds of a Feather or whatever else he has in the pipeline.

madhair60

That is amazingly funny.

Quite like his songs, but his calling the inclusion "baseless" is a transparent lie. He knows why. Not saying it's deserved/fair, but he knows.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: madhair60 on January 03, 2022, 11:46:12 AMThat is amazingly funny.

Quite like his songs, but his calling the inclusion "baseless" is a transparent lie. He knows why. Not saying it's deserved/fair, but he knows.

He might have forgotten that tweet as he sent it several months ago. I'm surprised Lee saw the tweet to be honest.

robotam

I think it's quite funny if Lee lumped together genuinely horrible people and just some guy who he doesn't find funny (or was criticising him on twitter).

Unrelenting TERF - in the peddle bin.
Said once that Lee should have been nicer about Joe Pasquale - in the bin.

chrispmartha

Absolutely baffled as to how he has read so much into SL putting him on a silly list.

Some if the Twitter comments are quite hilarious though.

You would think Lee had written a full essay on why he hates Darrell Maclaine.

Darrell comes across as someone not very confident in his own work if being put on a stupid list by a fellow comedian has caused him to create a ling rant on twitter

petril

it's professionally beneficial for both of them to have a silly little spat and their names getting mentioned a lot, isn't it?

mr. logic

I would be annoyed about that Pasquale thing if I was Lee too. Does he honestly think that routine was done with the intention of getting Pasquale abuse online? It was years before Twitter wasn't it? It's also very funny and claiming that it misunderstands music hall tradition or whatever is pompous bollocks. Haven't heard the guy's songs.

Old Nehamkin

Reading Lee's newsletter now. Sad to see that Jess Philips didn't make the pedestal section this year but congratulations to Stella Creasy!

Indomitable Spirit

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 03, 2022, 12:10:48 PMReading Lee's newsletter now. Sad to see that Jess Philips didn't make the pedestal section this year but congratulations to Stella Creasy!

Crenners

Guy's defence of when Joe Pasquale stole - or 'magpied' - the Richmond line reads as determined bitterness. SL must be at fault and JP must be exonerated, no matter what.

Still, so what?

Pretty lame of Stew to put the guy's name on a list, especially when he's clearly such a sensitive easy target. Fuck knows how he even found out but nobody comes out of this looking great, even me.

😂😂😂

Dr Rock

Quote from: Crenners on January 03, 2022, 12:17:47 PMespecially when he's clearly such a sensitive easy target.

How the fuck would he know that in advance?

mippy

I'm mutuals with Darrell and so though this was a bit of a dick move by Lee, but apparently being supportive means that I'm getting my tweets liked by people called things like "WIMPUND believes in BIOLOGICAL REALITY". They're apparently all upset at him also including Bananas Burchill and Banana Graham, because "you've never been a raped woman Stewart"

The overreaction to this is remarkable. John Robins (whose work I enjoy a lot despite Stew criticising him in the past, because I'm an adult and don't take everything a comedian says at face value) weighs in: https://twitter.com/nomadicrevery/status/1477934494875324421?s=21

I think Stew probably needs to remember how much influence he has but comparing him to Joseph McCarthy or the Stasi for publishing a list of people "in the pedal bin" is sensational.

Jerzy Bondov

Can't contribute to this thread because, as a fan of Stewart Lee, I am now busy harassing Roger Daltry, Mumford and Sons and all their wives and dads, Spitting Image, private box holders at the Royal Albert Hall, fishermen, and Poland.

Jack Shaftoe

I thought Darrell's 'Ben Folds doing the Muppets theme' was excellent, so put that in your irony pipe and smoke it, Stewart Lee.

That said, I quite like Stewart Lee's stuff, so I thought I'd go and harass every third person mentioned, kick their bins over, bend their windscreen wipers back a bit, that sort of thing.

the science eel

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 03, 2022, 12:29:49 PMCan't contribute to this thread because, as a fan of Stewart Lee, I am now busy harassing Roger Daltry, Mumford and Sons and all their wives and dads, Spitting Image, private box holders at the Royal Albert Hall, fishermen, and Poland.

good lad

chrispmartha

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 03, 2022, 12:29:49 PMCan't contribute to this thread because, as a fan of Stewart Lee, I am now busy harassing Roger Daltry, Mumford and Sons and all their wives and dads, Spitting Image, private box holders at the Royal Albert Hall, fishermen, and Poland.
Im too busy with Scrabble, im giving it both barrells on Twitter

idunnosomename

I sing his Alfie Boe and Michael Ball do the Flintstones theme to myself a lot (from the! Town of bedROCK!) but he does seem to be in a bubble with JERMNBABLY CRUMBY MASSIVE RACIST accounts and it's cooked his brain a bit

sweeper

Imagine being a fly on the wall when Stew Lee is compiling his lists. People always say that they don't believe it's the work of just one man and there must be a whole team in there with him, but I think it is just him on his own. You can tell.

Anyway, when Jeremy Corbyn is in charge, these lists will probably be very useful for when the committee needs to work out who is a danger to the state, so I hope he keeps it up. And the comedy, of course. Very funny!