Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:17:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee trending on Twitter as a result of his end of year newsletter

Started by MigraineBoy, January 03, 2022, 09:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: somersetchris on January 04, 2022, 10:06:01 PMJohn Robins

See, his curmudgeonly old-man-in-a-young-body shtick/personality is quite refreshing among his peers (Romesh has a good line in it as well though, Jon Richardson however, tedious); the Darkness of Robins was a brilliant hour of standup and deserving of the award; but what works for a good hour of standup starts to grate after hours and hours of radio.

I think despite everything they did they lost all of their joy with the move to 5 Live (also Covid didn't help), even having producer Dave back wasn't enough.

not saying that of all fucking places a Global Media station was the key to their success, but there's definitely something about the parochial BBC that's just moulded them into place.  Really drilled down onto their target audience of people who were around for landfill indie and probably really like Catfish and the cunting Bottlemen. 

It feels unfair to Elis to say this, but let's be honest, as engaging as he can be he's not ever been the driving force of the show. 

I'd always thought Robins played up his haughtiness as part of his character, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe I'm just disappointed that it's clearly not 'for me' any more.

sevendaughters

Obermann is full bananas. If she'd done anything good at all in her career I'm sure there'd be a thread on her here.

WhoMe

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on January 05, 2022, 10:28:03 AMOn the plus side, a friend of mine, who is a fairly unknown Youtuber, was listed amongst Stew's good Youtubers/vloggers. His name's Jeremiah McDonald.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ContentWithJeremiah/videos

He reminds me a lot of Jason Butler Harner, more so in motion than if you just looked at a picture of JBH.

Ok cheers.

idunnosomename

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 05, 2022, 02:15:06 PMObermann is full bananas. If she'd done anything good at all in her career I'm sure there'd be a thread on her here.
i think shes just very very thick, but in the position where she's encouraged  to talk complete shit with no consequence to her (utterly unremarkable) career because that complete shit is helpful politically

Bronzy

MojoJojo

imitationleather

Oberman concluding that a list of stuff Lee has liked (and disliked) this year is him cosplaying as a Momentum member... wut?

king_tubby

Yes, Momentum were famously big fans of Stella Creasey and Lisa Nandy.

imitationleather

I have a very good book from the '60s about cognitive dissonance. After reading Oberman's tweets I feel like I need to throw it in the fire. It's irrelevant now!

GoblinAhFuckScary

wrec

Quote from: Ornlu on January 05, 2022, 01:02:11 PMOh noes! Can anyone jump in with any concrete examples of that? Because being publicly Glinner-aligned is obviously a tough one to come back from.

Deleting tweets is fine though. He's also surely allowed to call people 'fucker', if the need arises. Tbh I'm more concerned about you referring to presumably non-blue-ticked people as 'peasants', though I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean that. (I don't even know what 'Zionism' properly means, so I'm leaving that one.)

We're just running out of curmudgeonly, not-outwardly-pleasant white men that can be openly lauded on here without pushback, and I draw the line at 'they're just vaguely a bit of an arsehole sometimes'.

It should be blindingly obvious from the context, i.e. complaining about a blue tick being aggressively nasty to people, what I was getting at with "peasant". And he's far more than "not outwardly pleasant".

Quantick was having the LOLs with Glinner til he was kicked off and complained about people telling "lies" about him. Obermann singled him out as someone who always supported her. He's been all in on the "Corbyn is an antisemite" campaign and takes the piss out of pro-Palestine sentiment.

Nothing wrong per se with deleting tweets but there are conversations where the remaining tweets suggest he's deleted transphobic stuff. Seems he apologised for some transphobic comment about ten years ago but reckons Rowling isn't transphobic and seems to think terf is a slur.

He was indeed rolling his eyes at people threatening to heckle Stewart Lee but I think that's more centrist distaste for people making a fuss than anything else.

Lfbarfe

I'm afraid this does make me think less of Stewart Lee, whatever Darrell did or didn't say. The people pointing at a mildly critical tweet from six months ago like they've found the Ark of the Covenant really should get a fucking grip. A comic performer with a massive profile put a comic performer with a much smaller profile on a shitlist with actual fascists. That's punching down however you look at it.

However, the really sad part is the parade of truly awful people lining up and expressing support for Darrell purely in order to give Lee a kicking for reasons of political ideology or their own weird obsession with the contents of somebody else's underwear.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Kankurette

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 05, 2022, 03:49:39 PMAny idea about why he put Nimco Ali in the bin?
She's very pro-Boris Johnson. And it is kind of depressing that he gives more of a shit about FGM than whoever her Labour MP was did.

easytarget

I think his real crime is his appalling attempt at applying punctuation to the finest* town in NW England:

Quote from: Stewart Lee (who went to Oxford University)The Fall – St Helen's Tech

No dot?
Apostrophe?
For shame.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: easytarget on January 06, 2022, 06:31:19 AMI think his real crime is his appalling attempt at applying punctuation to the finest* town in NW England:

No dot?
Apostrophe?
For shame.

I like how you haven't qualified that superlative, despite the tantalising asterisk.Prob. for the best.
As I never tire of telling folk whenever the opportunity arises, I was in the audience for that gig.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Kankurette on January 06, 2022, 01:36:32 AMShe's very pro-Boris Johnson. And it is kind of depressing that he gives more of a shit about FGM than whoever her Labour MP was did.

Reading around, it seems like he's added all the members of certain groups individually, so it's not really clear that he knows anything about her beyond her potentially breaking covid rules with Boris or being on some commission.

phantom_power

This idea that because someone is "good" in one area that they are beyond criticism is odd. Not everyone knows everything about everyone else for one thing so as said above, Lee might not know anything about her campaigning against FGM and just see her as a pal of Johnson who broke COVID rules. Even if he did know about her good work he could still think she deserves some stick for other things. After all, his list isn't "people who I think are utterly awful in the past, present and future" but more "these are people who did things I didn't like this year"

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 04, 2022, 07:31:37 PMThe 'slagging off the ginger hair thing' is not alright. Being a surly, condescending git who offers you fifty pence for a Beach Boys album and then you see it on display a day later in the shop going for fifty nicker can do one.

Well if you want retail price for them, spend the time to put them on eBay, if you're too lazy then sorry, you won't get the full price as you're effectively paying someone to do all the hard work to sell them to the punters.

But as you're given most of this stuff for free as a reviewer, and palming it off unopened, I don't have much sympathy to be honest.

Quote from: Lfbarfe on January 06, 2022, 12:26:41 AMThe people pointing at a mildly critical tweet from six months ago like they've found the Ark of the Covenant really should get a fucking grip.

I'm in the "it's just a list" camp but wholeheartedly agree with this.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm in the " putting such disparate elements as Scrabble, Putin, Poland, Yellow Shirts, Massive TERFs and a very minor virtually unknown comedian all in the same list is just a joke, like what they have on Top Gear, but the minor comic lad is quite within  his rights to be miffed about being bunged on the list" camp.

Gurke and Hare

Kankurette

Quote from: phantom_power on January 06, 2022, 08:58:14 AMThis idea that because someone is "good" in one area that they are beyond criticism is odd. Not everyone knows everything about everyone else for one thing so as said above, Lee might not know anything about her campaigning against FGM and just see her as a pal of Johnson who broke COVID rules. Even if he did know about her good work he could still think she deserves some stick for other things. After all, his list isn't "people who I think are utterly awful in the past, present and future" but more "these are people who did things I didn't like this year"
She does do a lot of great work with FGM victims. It's just a shame she loves Johnson so much.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Kankurette on January 06, 2022, 12:58:37 PMShe does do a lot of great work with FGM victims. It's just a shame she loves Johnson so much.
Could just be a bit shit in general outside of that one thing, which ultimately is largely down to her own past experiences rather than any more general sense of empathy? It's good she's focused on a good thing to rail against though.

List is def "these are people who did things I didn't like this year" imo.

PaulTMA

This could be all sorted out by Stew saying "I'm sorry, I didn't think"