Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee trending on Twitter as a result of his end of year newsletter

Started by MigraineBoy, January 03, 2022, 09:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatabulb

i thought by far the weirdest part of that newsletter was his repeated blanket dismissal of american standup as terrible (demetri martin, carrot top and louis ck: identical!)

fair enough these things are subjective, so i eagerly researched jonny and the baptists following his claim that they are one of the funniest acts at present

no disrespect but fucking hell

https://youtu.be/1hOHG2fBrjQ

Aindíles

Isn't Nimco Ali both a terf and a swerf as well as a tory? Weird seeing people offering unqualified praise of the "Boris Johnson is a true feminist" woman. Fair play on the FGM stuff I guess, but I'd likely put her in the bin too.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 06, 2022, 01:22:12 PMThis could be all sorted out by Stew saying "I'm sorry, I didn't think"

Over and over again for 58 minutes.

MojoJojo

Or "I'm 53 year old man who doesn't get social media - sorry!".

DrGreggles

Or it's his list of things he likes/doesn't like (for whatever reason), and he doesn't need to apologise for liking/not liking things just because one of the people he doesn't like doesn't like it.

somersetchris

Quote from: whatabulb on January 06, 2022, 01:25:38 PMi thought by far the weirdest part of that newsletter was his repeated blanket dismissal of american standup as terrible (demetri martin, carrot top and louis ck: identical!)

Doesn't he also admire Doug Stanhope though, an American standup? It's almost as if this list is either a) in character, b) not meant to be taken seriously or c) both!

Autopsy Turvey

The pedestal/pedal bin stuff is tediously de rigueur line-toeing, but nice to see shout-outs for T2's It'll All Work Out In Boomland, the King John Cup and the death of John Morgan.

Petey Pate

Quote from: somersetchris on January 06, 2022, 03:18:20 PMDoesn't he also admire Doug Stanhope though, an American standup? It's almost as if this list is either a) in character, b) not meant to be taken seriously or c) both!

His recommendation to see Doug Stanhope and Maria Bamford live is preceded with the preposterous claim that 'as all serious fans of stand-up know, the American iteration of the artform is currently lagging somewhat compared to the manifestations produced in other English speaking territories' which is so ridiculous that it must be a joke.

whatabulb

Quote from: somersetchris on January 06, 2022, 03:18:20 PMDoesn't he also admire Doug Stanhope though, an American standup? It's almost as if this list is either a) in character, b) not meant to be taken seriously or c) both!

it's 100% a serious list, intended to be taken seriously by a man who defines himself by what he consumes.

almost as bad as someone describing themselves as "a foodie"! 

in short: a shocking spectacle!

imitationleather

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 06, 2022, 05:25:31 PMHis recommendation to see Doug Stanhope and Maria Bamford live is preceded with the preposterous claim that 'as all serious fans of stand-up know, the American iteration of the artform is currently lagging somewhat compared to the manifestations produced in other English speaking territories' which is so ridiculous that it must be a joke.

When I read that I assumed he must be cosplaying as a Momentum member in 2018.

PaulTMA

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 06, 2022, 01:22:12 PMThis could be all sorted out by Stew saying "I'm sorry, I didn't think"

Ah, I thought that early 90s L&H semi-catchphrase (always said by Stew iirc) would be better remembered.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 06, 2022, 06:59:46 PMAh, I thought that early 90s L&H semi-catchphrase (always said by Stew iirc) would be better remembered.

I'm with you brother. I even once quoted it on here somewhere in a discussion about catchphrases that never were.

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 06, 2022, 05:25:31 PMHis recommendation to see Doug Stanhope and Maria Bamford live is preceded with the preposterous claim that 'as all serious fans of stand-up know, the American iteration of the artform is currently lagging somewhat compared to the manifestations produced in other English speaking territories' which is so ridiculous that it must be a joke.

I mean, I couldn't agree with him more on that.

somersetchris

Quote from: whatabulb on January 06, 2022, 06:12:58 PMit's 100% a serious list, intended to be taken seriously by a man who defines himself by what he consumes.

And you're certain that a professional comedian issuing an end of year good and bad list is "100% serious" because...? (apart from it suiting your own personal interpretation).

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: somersetchris on January 06, 2022, 07:19:15 PMAnd you're certain that a professional comedian issuing an end of year good and bad list is "100% serious" because...? (apart from it suiting your own personal interpretation).

https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/2022/01/from-the-metro-lib-elite-desk-of-stewart-lee-january-2022/

I don't know if it's 100% serious, But I can't argue with

Quote from: whatabulb on January 06, 2022, 06:12:58 PMA man who defines himself by what he consumes.

jenna appleseed

Meanwhile the only people on twitter happy about being on the list are Shindig! magazine who are chuffed at being one of his favourite magazines, bless 'em.

Hope nobody tells them he's just cut and pasted the same magazines he likes from old list(s) and the mags he likes bit includes ultra obscure publications that haven't been published for ages (one with an intro by Stewart Lee) - I googled.

starting to think this whole fuss is just a spam conspiracy to trick me/people into actually bothering to read his blog.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 06, 2022, 02:30:30 PMOr "I'm 53 year old man who doesn't get social media - sorry!".

I'm not sure that will wash, he clearly understands it enough to search it for people calling him a cunt and put it on his website. Was it maybe the fact that Darrell put some substance in his criticism rather than just calling him a cunt that upset Stew enough to put him on the list?

Magnum Valentino

wrec

If Stew wants to do a humourless late-period Lenny Bruce / Chapelle type set  about the internet turning people's minds to mush he can read out this thread
Spoiler alert
my own contributions included
[close]

Cuellar

chveik

it's pretty funny that he still bothers to rate his favourite Fall albums

tribalfusion

Quote from: whatabulb on January 06, 2022, 01:25:38 PMi thought by far the weirdest part of that newsletter was his repeated blanket dismissal of american standup as terrible (demetri martin, carrot top and louis ck: identical!)

American here and I agree with Stew that American comedy by and large is terrible. I noticed that when I first saw the email from him. There's some I enjoy of course, but in general, I think there's a very high percentage of conformist and hacky comedy in the U.S. and certainly more than in the U.K.

I was thinking about starting a thread about that very point in fact.

tribalfusion

Quote from: wrec on January 06, 2022, 08:30:54 PMIf Stew wants to do a humourless late-period Lenny Bruce / Chapelle type set  about the internet turning people's minds to mush he can read out this thread
Spoiler alert
my own contributions included
[close]

It would have to be a Dyl Spinks set.

tribalfusion

As mentioned, American here and I agree with Lee 100%. I think U.S. comedy is extremely conservative in content and in form and I can totally see why he would write that.

MrsWarboysLover

I haven't checked the list but was Richard Herring in the pedal bin? and was his ball cancer on the pedestal?

phantom_power

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 06, 2022, 07:36:39 PMI'm not sure that will wash, he clearly understands it enough to search it for people calling him a cunt and put it on his website. Was it maybe the fact that Darrell put some substance in his criticism rather than just calling him a cunt that upset Stew enough to put him on the list?

I am not sure being able to use a search function equates to understanding the dynamics and pitfalls of social media and the complex interactions inherent within it. Occasionally browsing Twitter for a specific purpose is a completely different experience to being embedded in it

whatabulb

additional point:  never trust a man that orders phaal.

sounds like i'm being flippant but never more serious!

it's a normal curry with a bag of chillis tipped in to make the eater "look hard".

in the newsletter he brags that he made a dinner guest hallucinate with one of his phaals.  i prefer it when guests say that was nice thank you i am enjoying myself.

why is no 1 talking about the phaals.  it is the key to unlocking this entire business.

studpuppet