Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:45:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee trending on Twitter as a result of his end of year newsletter

Started by MigraineBoy, January 03, 2022, 09:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

okay but seriously, I'm a very casual comedy fan and a very casual Stewart Lee fan. Can someone who's a more serious fan of the UK comedy scene tell me how much influence he actually has? Because putting someone's name on a huge list titled "In the Pedal Bin" with no other context or commentary seems fairly innocuous to me. If Lee had written an article or a paragraph or even a line explaining why this comedian was on his Pedal Bin list, then I could see a reason for him being "called out". Does he have the ear of the Comedy Lords at the BBC/Channel 4? I'm not being cute, I really want to know.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on January 03, 2022, 11:26:20 AMThose Guardian articles do make me slightly hate Lee a bit. I mostly hate the weird pride he has in his own taste. I can understand wanting to show off your cool taste in music as a teenager, but you'd think he'd grown out of it at some point
Weird bit is that his taste really isn't that esoteric, is it?

anyways seems like he's just deliberately being petty as a bit including yer man's name, actively playing into the kind of thing yer man criticised him for in a very obscure tweet. I don't think it's fair to laugh at yer man being annoyed about it, he's almost certainly gotten some messages from randomers with blind faith in Lee that were like "so why were you a cunt this year?" and it'd be hard to quantify how little being included on somethingn like that might mean to his rep, especially if he's actively in the kind of bubble that largely lapped up the Joe Pasquale bit as being completely serious.

The most important thing to take from it all is the image of Stewart Lee at 10am every weekday pausing his fourth mediocre film of the day to listen to James O'Brien.

Crenners

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 03, 2022, 12:20:13 PMHow the fuck would he know that in advance?

It's obvious he's an easy target because he's a total nobody in relation to SL.

I don't think it's cool to put this guy on the list either because his one joke is extremely shit or because he's clearly upset about SL for reasons unknown. Just ignore him.

I concluded he's clearly sensitive by reading the tweets which I assume SL read to put him on this list, but I'm very good at reading people and jumping to massive sweeping conclusions.

😂😂😂

sweeper

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 03, 2022, 12:48:51 PMBecause putting someone's name on a huge list titled "In the Pedal Bin" with no other context or commentary seems fairly innocuous to me.

We all compile long lists of our enemies and send them to the inboxes of thousands of subscribers, don't we? It's been a New Year's tradition since the dawn of the internet.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 03, 2022, 12:48:51 PMokay but seriously, I'm a very casual comedy fan and a very casual Stewart Lee fan. Can someone who's a more serious fan of the UK comedy scene tell me how much influence he actually has? Because putting someone's name on a huge list titled "In the Pedal Bin" with no other context or commentary seems fairly innocuous to me. If Lee had written an article or a paragraph or even a line explaining why this comedian was on his Pedal Bin list, then I could see a reason for him being "called out". Does he have the ear of the Comedy Lords at the BBC/Channel 4? I'm not being cute, I really want to know.

You don't hear much about Tom O'Connor anymore do you. Coincidence?

Video Game Fan 2000

chrispmartha

Quote from: sweeper on January 03, 2022, 12:53:39 PMWe all compile long lists of our enemies and send them to the inboxes of thousands of subscribers, don't we? It's been a New Year's tradition since the dawn of the internet.

'Enemies' is slightly overstating the case a bit.

Crenners

Seems like this thread is just another opportunity for people on here to exercise their grudges.

😂😂😂

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 03, 2022, 12:48:51 PMokay but seriously, I'm a very casual comedy fan and a very casual Stewart Lee fan.

Yeah I did wonder how you found your way here!

😂😂😂

The Crumb

Anyone know what Jaz Coleman did to specifically annoy Stew this year?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 03, 2022, 12:58:19 PMI think I've finally worked out what a "power imbalance" is

No one simply "surfs the web to make posts" these days, everything is a platform with a quantifiable amount of power.

sweeper

Quote from: chrispmartha on January 03, 2022, 12:58:46 PM'Enemies' is slightly overstating the case a bit.

Well I'm sorry, but if you're going to post a thoughtful response on social media to something I once said in public then I don't know what else to call you, I really don't.

earl_sleek

Quote from: The Crumb on January 03, 2022, 01:01:34 PMAnyone know what Jaz Coleman did to specifically annoy Stew this year?

Dunno for sure, but Jaz could easily be a covid conspiracist / antivaxxer. Or maybe Stew just thinks his hot sauce isn't much cop.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 03, 2022, 01:02:23 PMNo one simply "surfs the web to make posts" these days, everything is a platform with a quantifiable amount of power.

I can't believe this happened to discourse

Sonny_Jim

I see that I misunderstood the contents of the last communique from Metro Lib Elite.  According to Twitter, it's a list of names I'm supposed to harass with no context or justification.  Silly me for not noticing that.

tourism

mad that everyone on that list has just been diagnosed with an illness that will turn them into a kind of Stewart Lee doppelganger before snuffing them out. very spooky

Hex Triplet

Everyone on Twitter is an unpardonable cunt (including Stewart Lee who is famously "not on Twitter" although he clearly is). Dog's arsehole shitpost society we have now.

Also Stewart Lee's famed avant garde out-there taste in music is not really that avant garde and outtt tthere...

"Hey guys, check out my Les Rallizes Day-Nu-days t-shirt. They're a band. You won't have heard of them."

SLAM DUNK!

Crenners

Guy's been seething for fifteen years since his student interview got rejected and his moment has finally come. Stew's getting cancelled.

Oh, no. Looking at the replies, seems he's inadvertently become a hero to the folk 'who tell it like it is'. Surely that wasn't the plan!

What a mess.

😂😂😂

For the record, I blame Stew. Unnecessary, petty punching down.

Dickie_Anders

Browsing those replies for two minutes has almost driven me insane. I can understand why so many people fuck their heads up through constant use of twitter

phantom_power

It is interesting that most of the criticism seems to be who is on the bin list rather than its existence

Ambient Sheep

Saw Darrell's tweet thread at 4am this morning and was going to start this thread when I woke up if nobody else had.  I was going to call it "Stewart Lee punches down...".

I'm unpleasantly surprised to see so many people on here thinking this is OK; even more so by some of the snide comments.  So punching down is ok if good ol' Stu does it, yes?

The contrast with the support shown for Darrell on Twitter (including by some current and ex- CaBbers) is startling, and people say that Twitter is toxic!

Admittedly since I woke up it seems that there's now at least a reason for his inclusion on the list (the July tweet, criticising SL for doing something similar, ironically), rather than Stu just not liking his songs, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 03, 2022, 10:42:25 AMWasn't this guy on CAB at some point?

At last!

Quote from: GMTV on January 03, 2022, 11:02:51 AMWas he not a fairly prominent member of this site a long while back?

Yes, yes he was.
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=18

He also had another name before that, on the old pre-2004 boards, but although it's registered on this version, it's never been used.

He last posted twice in August 2008 on the sad death of Geoffrey Perkins.

His last post before that, in February 2008, I'd quite forgotten about:

Quote from: Darrell on February 22, 2008, 03:38:27 PM
Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 22, 2008, 03:14:02 PMI was wondering whether Mr Bachman might pop on here to discuss some of the points raised.

I somehow doubt it now.

This forum really is just unpleasant now. It's not about comedy criticism anymore, it's a competition as to who can hate something the most vehemently. Absolutely spirit-draining. I'm out.

It's not because I like Mitchell and Webb or Peter Serafinowicz or whoever, I just find the autopilot bloodthirsty rage on here for literally everything new and UK-based both soul-sapping and slightly... creepy now? It's not actually criticism, it's not worthwhile reading matter, it's not in any way useful, it's just [banned troll]ing.

It's not doing me any good to read this sort of thing - there's too much misanthropy and ill will clouding around these boards now for it to be anything other than an unhealthy waste of my time. Bye.

Keep sticking the boot in, lads!

To be clear: aside from him being on here years ago, I don't know Darrell.  Never met him, never even PM'd with as best as I can recall.  He wouldn't know me from Adam.  But he seems like a good bloke.

EDIT: Also, Comedy Chat is, mostly, far nicer these days than it was then.  I suspect he'd be fine with it now.  Hope he's not here to read all this shite though.

MigraineBoy

That John Robbins take about people being harassed based on the list is batshit.  It's fine to think it's a dick move without claiming he's initiating twitter pile-ons.

sweeper

Quote from: Vroomo on January 03, 2022, 01:45:47 PMThat John Robbins take about people being harassed based on the list is batshit.  It's fine to think it's a dick move without claiming he's initiating twitter pile-ons.

Because names compiled on lists have never resulted in any form of harassment?

Fabian Thomsett

Crenners

By my count, (and I haven't counted) seems most people here think SL is clearly in the wrong. Unnecessary and petty. Maybe I'm wrong, I mute a lot of people.

If it's over some tweets, that's oddly sensitive. Since he's ostentatiously 'not on Twitter', it's worse. If it's because he doesn't like the guy's videos, well, that would be ridiculous.

Doesn't massively change my opinion of Stew either way. I always thought he was both a wanker and a brilliant stand-up.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Crenners on January 03, 2022, 01:53:42 PMBy my count, (and I haven't counted) seems most people here think SL is clearly in the wrong. Unnecessary and petty. .

Try counting.

Nowhere Man

I'd like to thank that comedian bloke and the angry Twitter mob who caused the stir leading to this thread being created. Because it actually made me check out Stew's website for the post in question. Thereby letting me see that Stew had some decent seats available for his Leicester Square show tomorrow which I snapped up.

Get in!

Ambient Sheep

Some good points here:

https://twitter.com/diapause78/status/1477991274938576900
QuoteMarcus James
@diapause78

Replying to @jamesbielby and @darrellmaclaine

SL famously isn't on Twitter. And if a considered -and fairly benign- observation about his work in July was enough for SL to consider Darrell for the "pedal bin" 6 months later, I'd suggest you could look at that as a better example of someone behaving in a thin-skinned manner.

1:12 PM · Jan 3, 2022 · Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/WillHeShutUp/status/1477979904797024261
QuoteWill Jones
@WillHeShutUp

Replying to @jamesbielby and @darrellmaclaine

*This* Stewart Lee cares enough about a tweet to trash someone 6 months later? OK

12:27 PM · Jan 3, 2022 · Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/WillHeShutUp/status/1477980776788541441
QuoteWill Jones
@WillHeShutUp

Replying to @WillHeShutUp @jamesbielby and @darrellmaclaine

Really sounds like he would rise above it, no?

12:30 PM · Jan 3, 2022 · Twitter Web App

pigamus

Quote from: sweeper on January 03, 2022, 01:49:39 PMBecause names compiled on lists have never resulted in any form of harassment?

He was a German U-Boat captain for God's sake