Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Over-ear headphones

Started by BeardFaceMan, January 03, 2022, 02:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I currently have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40x headphones that are due to be replaced/upgraded. I use them a bit for doing recording, occasionally wear them out with an mp3 player but they're mainly for indoor use. Am I fine with these or is it worth forking out a little more for a better pair?

Also, I'm a sweaty fuck and the reason my current pair need to be replaced is that most of the covering on the headband and ears has started to peel off, I'm guessing this is from the sweat. How do you prevent this, other than washing them after every use? Is there some type of guard you can spray on them first to prolong the life, that sort of thing?

Crenners

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 03, 2022, 02:11:07 PMAm I fine with these or is it worth forking out a little more for a better pair?

Difficult to answer because you more or less get what you pay for up to a certain level. The M50x are often recommended as one of the very best 'bang for your buck' phones, but you're looking at another fifty-odd quid on top of the 40s. It comes down to how much you want to spend, really. If you like that sound, the M50 are similar profile but better across all areas.

For info, the best I've heard under £300 are the Hifiman Sundara. They sound almost as good as the Ananda which are twice the price and plenty of people prefer them because they're a bit livelier. You're also typically getting better build quality so you'll probably save money in the long run. You can also drive them easily off a mobile phone, no amp or anything.

As for the band, totally depends on the materials. Even on the mid/upper-end Senns for £400+, the bands peel and crack. You can get replacements, though. Another benefit (arguably) of spending a bit more. I bought some second-hand 'Used' HD650 off eBay for £200, replaced the pads and foam immediately for about twenty quid and replaced the band for about forty quid about three years down the line. I sold them on in better condition than I bought them for £350. Trigger's broom job.

Hope that's some food for thought, anyway.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Crenners on January 03, 2022, 02:43:07 PMDifficult to answer because you more or less get what you pay for up to a certain level. The M50x are often recommended as one of the very best 'bang for your buck' phones, but you're looking at another fifty-odd quid on top of the 40s. It comes down to how much you want to spend, really. If you like that sound, the M50 are similar profile but better across all areas.

For info, the best I've heard under £300 are the Hifiman Sundara. They sound almost as good as the Ananda which are twice the price and plenty of people prefer them because they're a bit livelier. You're also typically getting better build quality so you'll probably save money in the long run. You can also drive them easily off a mobile phone, no amp or anything.

As for the band, totally depends on the materials. Even on the mid/upper-end Senns for £400+, the bands peel and crack. You can get replacements, though. Another benefit (arguably) of spending a bit more. I bought some second-hand 'Used' HD650 off eBay for £200, replaced the pads and foam immediately for about twenty quid and replaced the band for about forty quid about three years down the line. I sold them on in better condition than I bought them for £350. Trigger's broom job.

Hope that's some food for thought, anyway.

Thanks for that. I was looking at the M50x's, they're around a hundred quid which is within my budget at the moment. Sound-quality and comfort-wise I've been very happy with the M40x's for what I paid for them so I might go for those M50x's.

Crenners

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 03, 2022, 03:49:53 PMThanks for that. I was looking at the M50x's, they're around a hundred quid which is within my budget at the moment. Sound-quality and comfort-wise I've been very happy with the M40x's for what I paid for them so I might go for those M50x's.

I'm sure you'll be happy with them and that looks like a good price if you do go for it.