Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

An odd sort of a day

Started by Jasha, January 03, 2022, 04:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

Back to work tomorrow so now with Christmas and New year out of the way I've an odd feeling of ennui, everyone's off the drinking, the weather's rotten, even the crap tele is back to the usual crap tele. Had a big spring winter clean and tidy up after the tree came down so can't occupy myself with that, probably a jacket spud for tea so no way off killing a couple of hours with that. Had a nice walk along the canal yesterday so that's out and it's getting dark now anyway. So a whole day with absolutely fuck all to do might sound great but I'm bored as hell with a niggling feeling I should be doing something anything other that wishing a day away, am I the only one?*

obviously this doesn't apply to any of you dole scum.

touchingcloth

Why is your tree down already? I'm a big believer in celebrating the full 12 days of Christmas, because I suspect a lot of the reason for it being such a long festival traditionally comes from their being fuck all else to do for people in a lot of professions when the days are so short and the weather so inclement, so feasting and boozing is a good way to fil up the time.

I think you should spend the next couple of days planning what you are going to make or buy to gorge yourself on on Twelfth Night this Wednesday or Thursday, depending on when you like to count from. Go on - relax, scum. RELAX

Sebastian Cobb

I'm off until the 10th and have currently become nocturnal and am also sleeping almost 12 hours a day.

It's fucking brilliant.

Glebe

Hugs Jasha. On the bright side there's spring to look forward too and the possibility we may finally make progress with this bloody pandemic.

Buelligan

On the Spring Front, went up the hill again today and found ash trees uncurling their flowers and leaves.  Spring is soon.

shoulders

Idiot rose bushes are budding around here. You can play those cunts like a fiddle.

flotemysost

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 03, 2022, 05:12:30 PMGo on - relax, scum. RELAX

Frankie Goes To Hollywood consider "slightly less aggressive" chorus.

I'm awful at relaxing "on demand" and I hate the feeling of wasting time, so can sympathise there Jasha. I'm currently awaiting the results of a PCR (I feel fine, btw) so going for a nice long walk is out the question today, which is exactly the kind of thing I'd normally do on a day like this. I'm lazy as fuck but proscribed stillness feels unnatural.

It's great waking up and having no plans normally (even if I am stuck inside today), but given the whole festive sideshow having climaxed and now the prospect of the exhausting back-to-work "happy new year, how was your break, get anything nice etc." charade tomorrow (and I actually LIKE my colleagues, but over video it's just a bit rubbish) there's a definite aura of sadness.

It's like the dawning horror of the Sunday evening Songs of Praise/Antiques Roadshow countdown dread, writ large.

Glebe

Quote from: Buelligan on January 03, 2022, 05:32:39 PMOn the Spring Front, went up the hill again today and found ash trees uncurling their flowers and leaves.  Spring is soon.

That sounds lovely. Bitter frosts, begone!

Jasha

Quote from: Glebe on January 03, 2022, 05:21:27 PMHugs Jasha. On the bright side there's spring to look forward too and the possibility we may finally make progress with this bloody pandemic.

Oh I don't mind a bit of the dark nights with a casserole in the oven to come home just seems like the clock is going backwards today

Quote from: flotemysost on January 03, 2022, 05:38:19 PMIt's like the dawning horror of the Sunday evening Songs of Praise/Antiques Roadshow countdown dread, writ large.

I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to getting back to work but I'm not dreading it either, it's like a rainy bank holiday in a caravan, might delve in the youtubes and sing along to the power of love

mjwilson

I'm making sure that backups are running properly on my current laptop, so yes it's a bit of a weird day.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mjwilson on January 03, 2022, 06:05:29 PMI'm making sure that backups are running properly on my current laptop, so yes it's a bit of a weird day.

I'm going to swap the 3tb drives in my nas for an 8tb one, and use the old ones as a paired 6tb backup store the nas can rsync to.

dissolute ocelot

I always feel I should do something with all the time off but am less sure what, then feel I've wasted the holiday despite not actually being able to name things I didn't do. It's like lockdown all over again.

robhug

Buy a whetstone and sharpen all your kitchen knives - its quite a long but satisfying process which does give you a feeling of accomplishment that also makes a difference to your life.

I got one in preparation for a few potential down days over crimbo but sadly there wasn't a window where I was sufficiently motivated.

IsavedLatin

I don't have anything much helpful to you, Jasha, beyond saying that I am sharing in the same feeling at the moment and I send my solidarity. Suppose you just have to go through the motions until the feeling passes or at least dulls; I'm planning a lovely big stew for my dinner tonight, and trying to line up a few other small wins that I can look forward to.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 04, 2022, 12:34:06 PMI always feel I should do something with all the time off but am less sure what, then feel I've wasted the holiday despite not actually being able to name things I didn't do. It's like lockdown all over again.

Also solidarity with this! Fuck my stupid brain and its apparent need for me to be productive every moment of my life.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: robhug on January 04, 2022, 12:46:07 PMBuy a whetstone and sharpen all your kitchen knives - its quite a long but satisfying process which does give you a feeling of accomplishment that also makes a difference to your life.

I got one in preparation for a few potential down days over crimbo but sadly there wasn't a window where I was sufficiently motivated.

"So, what did you do over Christmas?"

"Sharpened my knives"

*backs away slowly, avoiding eye contact*

Blue Jam

I officially start my shiny new job tomorrow, but my new boss is on leave until next week, so I'm working from home until then and can't really do much from here except read up on stuff. At a bit of a loss now. I'm off the booze for a bit and the snooker doesn't start until Sunday. I also got a lot of spring cleaning done yesterday in anticipation of how busy I'd be later in the week, aaargghh.

I do have a whetstone and some knives though, that's a good call.

Blue Jam

Oh hang on, the UK Seniors is on

flotemysost

Quote from: IsavedLatin on January 04, 2022, 12:54:23 PMFuck my stupid brain and its apparent need for me to be productive every moment of my life.

For me it's not necessarily productivity in the sense of doing something useful - I guess it's more like a fear of wasting time and just siting around. Days off are great, as long as I can experience something new (preferably something that involves leaving the flat). I'm still annoyed at my 2020 lockdown lethargy and all the hours I wasted indoors staring dead-eyed at some utterly forgettable Harlan Coben Netflix giblets that I wasn't even taking in, knowing I should use the time to do something actually valuable (to me) but not having the motivation.

I never beat myself up for not being able to get out of bed, though, especially knowing a few people who've become sleep-deprived parents in the last couple of years. There's no way I'm taking the option of lie-ins for granted.

Congrats on the new job Blue Jam!

Porky

Being 69 years of age I am off for ever.

GMTV

I always have this massive wave of nostalgia and sentimentality post Christmas and new year. These post new year days are huge for that. Particularly in scotchland with getting two bank Holidays at new year, with it landing on a Saturday meaning not returning to work until the 5th of January. A wasteland of annual leave with nothing to do, no money to spend, shite weather and no energy from an unhealthy lifestyle and lack of sunlight.

Hard to explain but a yearning sense of wanting to return to the past. A rose tinted spec extravaganza of the last couple of weeks of sitting around eating and drinking, the brief few days of limited family visiting at Christmas, and a greatest hits collection of ghosts of Christmas past.

Also infused with the prospect of starting the work computer tomorrow morning with the horror of opening the email inbox.

Crenners

When I don't know what I feel like doing I watch godzilla, gamera or kung fu movie and I feel happy