News:

Registrations are currently delayed due to a spam wave, please bear with me.


Good stand up shows on streaming etc

Started by billyandthecloneasaurus, January 03, 2022, 07:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyandthecloneasaurus

Alright gang, obvz haven't been able to go to much live comedy recently cus covid,so am looking for recommendations of good stuff available online.  New shows from up and comers, decades old classics, whatever.

I did have that next up thing for a bit ages ago but not much on there then, is that worth a go now?  I enjoyed the Joseph Morpurgo show a lot, but I saw that live too so whatever.

Crappy YouTube uploads, amazon, stuff I can  acquire elsewhere, WHATEVER.

shlug

Richard Pryor in Concert on Netflix is pretty good if you've never seen it.

There's maybe one or two things that haven't aged all that well but overall it holds up.

Think the first bit of stand up I ever watched was an old excerpt from his "In The Woods" bit in that show which is a master class in showing how effortlessly funny he was. 


DrGreggles

Some good stuff (and a lot of shit) on NextUp.

Small Man Big Horse

Amazon's got two series of "Soho Theatre Live" which includes shows from the likes of Jordan Brookes, Jessica Fostekew, Jessie Cave, Josie Long, and possibly other comedians whose name doesn't begin with a J.

Maria Bamford's Weakness Is The Brand was superb, but then I love all of her specials.

And Eddie Pepitone: For the Masses is great too, though annoyingly not on Amazon in the UK for some unknown reason.

Malcy

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 04, 2022, 12:48:02 PMSome good stuff (and a lot of shit) on NextUp.

Yeah I had a trial and only watched a Paul Sinha show that I had seen live but there was a lot on there. I'm sure they were doing a year subscription for about £20 as well so could be worth a look.

Magnum Valentino

The Maria Bamford one where she's shown trying out the material on really small groups of strangers (in her house, on the street etc.) transcends its gimmick. If it's not Weakness is the Brand (mentioned above), it's the Special Special Special, I'm no good with names when she has so many. I think it's on Netflix.

Also on Neflix - Bridget Christie's Stand Up For Her and Adam Sandler's 100% Fresh are both excellent.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 05, 2022, 12:33:20 PMThe Maria Bamford one where she's shown trying out the material on really small groups of strangers (in her house, on the street etc.) transcends its gimmick. If it's not Weakness is the Brand (mentioned above), it's the Special Special Special, I'm no good with names when she has so many. I think it's on Netflix.

Yeah, that's The Special Special Special and it was filmed in front of her Mum and Dad (and a camera crew), and it's the reason I fell in love with her as I thought it was so fantastic.

Ron Superior

Yeah, the one where she's doing it to increasingly bigger audiences from people on the street to a full gig is, I believe Old Baby, which is also on Netflix. I wish they'd do the full length show version of that set, cos I love it.

Ron Superior

I really liked Lazy Susan's Live at the Soho Theatre set on Amazon Prime. Lots of massive laughs in there.

Anna Mann has 2 Nextup sets on the Roku Channel for , both of which I really enjoyed. There are some other Nextup shows on there but none that I've found that I've enjoyed so far.

shlug

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 04, 2022, 07:49:25 PMAmazon's got two series of "Soho Theatre Live" which includes shows from the likes of Jordan Brookes, Jessica Fostekew, Jessie Cave, Josie Long, and possibly other comedians whose name doesn't begin with a J.

I would highly recommend the original one woman show of Fleabag from this series as well, particularly if you didn't enjoy the TV series like myself. The original format is genuinely compelling without the smarmy looks into the camera and interesting to see with the benefit of hindsight how they developed it into the TV series from the theatre show.

up_the_hampipe

James Acaster's Cold Lasange Hate Myself 1999 is available on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/ondemand/coldlasagne

It's one of the best specials in recent memory. His usual style is whimsical, absurd and a bit observational, but this show is a departure into more personal territory, without getting all Edinburgh Fringe about it. To me, it's the pinnacle of what pure stand-up can be.

jimboslice

The iPlayer has 3 series of "Live from the BBC" which has a good selection of 15/30 minute sets.

Tokyo van Ramming

Natalie Palamides' Nate is on Netflix, and is probably the best filmed stand up set that I've ever seen. 'Audacious' might be a good, lazy word for it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Superior on January 05, 2022, 07:02:51 PMI really liked Lazy Susan's Live at the Soho Theatre set on Amazon Prime. Lots of massive laughs in there.

Anna Mann has 2 Nextup sets on the Roku Channel for , both of which I really enjoyed. There are some other Nextup shows on there but none that I've found that I've enjoyed so far.

I'm really behind on NextUp and so I couldn't say for sure if they're still up on the site, but I really enjoyed shows by Max and Ivan, Danielle Ward, Alasdair Beckett-King, Fern Brady, Rachel Parris, Jordan Brookes, Laura Lexx, Michael Legge and (of course) Joseph Morpurgo.

Sam Campbell's 2018 show Trough is on youtube and is an absolute must see - I know initially it looks slightly amateur-ish but it made me laugh an enormous amount and I'm gutted I missed him in London recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYyCuG8HcjY

Chudraa

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 07, 2022, 09:19:33 AMI'm really behind on NextUp and so I couldn't say for sure if they're still up on the site, but I really enjoyed shows by Max and Ivan, Danielle Ward, Alasdair Beckett-King, Fern Brady, Rachel Parris, Jordan Brookes, Laura Lexx, Michael Legge and (of course) Joseph Morpurgo.

I've watched loads of NextUp and agree with all those suggestions as examples of it's best stuff. I'd add Pat Cahill, Stuart Laws, Holly Burn, Sam Simmons, Bec Hill, Simon Munnery, Ali Brice, Jessica Fostekew, Tony Law, Hans Teeuwan, Eleanor Morton, Edward Aczel, Joz Norris, and the Delightful Sausage to that list.

I like artsy, creative and silly stand-up and most of these fall in to one or more of these categories.

Ray Travez

Been a while since I watched Next up, but I'd like to add Johnny Pelham's 'an hour' to the list of good stuff on there

Both Michael j Dolan's recorded sets are on YouTube, audio only. I mention them probably once a year, and here it is again. My favourite is "nothing will ever be alright again ever," a title which is seeming increasingly prescient

Dylan Moran's 'off the hook' is on iplayer.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Chudraa on January 07, 2022, 02:23:40 PMI've watched loads of NextUp and agree with all those suggestions as examples of it's best stuff. I'd add Pat Cahill, Stuart Laws, Holly Burn, Sam Simmons, Bec Hill, Simon Munnery, Ali Brice, Jessica Fostekew, Tony Law, Hans Teeuwan, Eleanor Morton, Edward Aczel, Joz Norris, and the Delightful Sausage to that list.

I like artsy, creative and silly stand-up and most of these fall in to one or more of these categories.

Max & Ivan's Reunion is on there too, which I really liked.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Chudraa on January 07, 2022, 02:23:40 PMI've watched loads of NextUp and agree with all those suggestions as examples of it's best stuff. I'd add Pat Cahill, Stuart Laws, Holly Burn, Sam Simmons, Bec Hill, Simon Munnery, Ali Brice, Jessica Fostekew, Tony Law, Hans Teeuwan, Eleanor Morton, Edward Aczel, Joz Norris, and the Delightful Sausage to that list.

I like artsy, creative and silly stand-up and most of these fall in to one or more of these categories.

I've not see Pat Cahill's set or Ali Brices's, but all the others you list there were great when I saw them live, I really should sign up for NextUp again, especially as they've just added Elf Lyons's Swan to the site and I love her to pieces.

Ron Superior

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 07, 2022, 09:19:33 AMSam Campbell's 2018 show Trough is on youtube and is an absolute must see - I know initially it looks slightly amateur-ish but it made me laugh an enormous amount and I'm gutted I missed him in London recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYyCuG8HcjY

Seconded for Sam Campbell's one. Also, in a kind of similar-ish style, on Prime is Tom Walker's Very Very. From the description I'd have assumed I'd hate it, but ended up really enjoying it.

whatabulb

Quote from: Chudraa on January 07, 2022, 02:23:40 PMthe Delightful Sausage to that list.


hope they do something new soon, standup, podcast anything.

Quote from: whatabulb on January 08, 2022, 01:10:50 PMhope they do something new soon, standup, podcast anything.


They're doing a work in progress at Machynlleth, which would suggest an Edinburgh run then tour to follow.

WestHill

Zoe Coombs Marr's Bossy Bottom on Amazon is excellent.

DrGreggles

Quote from: whatabulb on January 08, 2022, 01:10:50 PMhope they do something new soon, standup, podcast anything.


They recorded Ginster's Paradise for NextUp(?) a couple of months ago.
New show planned for this year.