Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,477
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:26:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grange Hill: The Movie

Started by George White, January 05, 2022, 02:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 06, 2022, 01:20:51 PMThey should bring back a character from the tv series but twist is...they are a serial killer.

Come 'ere, I'm gonna cut ya.....some new keys.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2022, 07:01:57 PMTheme tune lyrics:

It's Grange Hill yes
Very very much so
It's Grange Hill yes
Is Grange Hill

It is Grange Hiiiiiiilll
It is Grange Hiiiiiiilll
It is Grange Hill, it is Grange Hill
Look out, it is Grange Hill (it's Grange Hill)
Graange Hill
It is Grange Hill
tried to sing this, it almost works until I realised you clearly meant it to be chicken man

Makes me think the 90s theme with that four note phrase at the end is nodding to the original one though

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 06, 2022, 11:10:51 AMYeah, but it's Cameron who can't even remember which football team he supports from day to day. The full quote was probably "Gripper was my favourite, I loved the episode where he drowns in the swimming pool and then gets battered by Booga Benson for grassing him up."

Gripper was very well acted by Mark Savage (he gave up acting for a long time after GH because of the grief he would get from numpties when he was out and about) but yes, a weird favourite character choice for Cameron to make.

"EastEnders? I used to love old Wilmott-Brown and who can forget cheeky Harry Slater? They were mint and skill."

Brundle-Fly

Welcome To Cedars Lodge - Toy. Released on Smalltown Supersound in 2007.

Music for the inner toddler in us all.

Toy (established 2002 in Bergen, Norway) is an electronic duo formed by musician and producer Jørgen Træen from Bergen and the Bergen-based composer Alisdair Stirling originally from London.

Toy released the single Rabbit Pushing Mower/Valley Cars (2002) as a vinyl seven inch on Telle Records described by the BBC as an amusing cream puff of a tune. The next single was released on the label Smalltown Supersound, Sedan Through Tunnel/Decorama. Both of these singles was sold out quickly. The debut album by the duo Toy (2006), was the released on Smalltown Supersound, and received brilliant criticism. The track "Rabbit Pushing Mower" opened their friend Annie`s DJ Kicks mix album for Studio K7 (2005). Jørgen Træen runs Duper Studios in Bergen together with Yngve Sætre, where they collaborates with the likes of Røyksopp, Datarock and Bjørn Torske. Træen is a highly recognized producer that has produced albums for Sondre Lerche, Magnet and Jaga Jazzist, among others. He also has his own solo project 'Sir Dupermann' on Smalltown Supersound. Although a Londoner Stirling has his roots in Bergen where he is the driving force behind the Bergen pop workshop/collective 'House of Hiss'

Mister Six

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 06, 2022, 09:33:24 AM

And had a cracking theme tune

Ugh, god no, I always found it weirdly bleak and mildly distressing. Maybe it was more to do with the miserable, desaturated images of children clawing their way out of bed and plodding through school while the caretaker swept up. But the thought of spending 25 minutes watching miserable kids having a miserable time in a miserable school always put me off, and I'd distract myself with something else until Neighbours came on. The fuzzy guitar sting still sets my teeth on edge.

Give me the bouncy 70s theme and big characters any day.

EDIT: Although the electric guitar wail halfway through the 90s version is pretty sweet, I'll admit.

Sebastian Cobb

I wonder if they can get Lee Cornes to come back as Mr Hankin.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 06, 2022, 05:50:56 PMGripper was very well acted by Mark Savage (he gave up acting for a long time after GH because of the grief he would get from numpties when he was out and about)

Seems like he wanted to be identified exclusively as that character for as long as possible

kalowski

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 05, 2022, 06:36:39 PMNot related to the film but according to that article:

Which is mad if true, I mean for one thing I fucking hated Gripper, he was a right bastard turd, and surely no one would proudly say they loved a character who was designed to be despised and think they'd come out well from it?
Like Cameron had a fucking clue. It's like his Aston Villa/West Ham confusion.
"I liked Gribber Stepson and Tucker Luck."

kalowski

I hope it includes Mucker, Sucker, Rucker, Tucker and Spazz.

Rev+

Not having seen it in years, I did check out the final episode of Grange Hill when it breathed its last. 

This was after Redmond had the school relocated, and it was amazingly shit.  Everything that made it good originally was gone.  Nothing but kids getting up to daft capers, presented in a ropey comic-look format with wacky sound effects when someone gets hit on the head, and kerazzy wipes between scenes.  He fought to regain control and turn Grange Hill into that, so I'm not too optimistic about the film that won't happen.

gib

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 05, 2022, 04:33:30 PMI reckon they will try to get at least one of the former cast members to make a cameo.

I can't see how it would work as a film though. What would be the stand out events for a 90 minute to 2 hours film? You never had Waterloo Road or Ackley Bridge the film.

I imagine it will be a school trip or something and they think there is a ghost and it turns out to be one of the original cast at the end trying to escape from a serial killer.

Or the school is about to be closed and they travel to the House of Commons for a sit in to protest it and the Prime Minister (Hugh Grant) says "tough, we're giving all the money to academies run by Tory donors" and one backbench Labour MP (Paddy Constatine) fights their cause.

Or the sausage from the original credits comes alive and only a couple of pupils are aware of this. They spend the film trying to track it down, and end up battling it in the gym.

Grange Hill was really good at first but slowly became rubbish, I hope the film is more like the first twenty or so series.

post of the thread so far there

i like to think one of the characters will say 'fucking heck, Tucker' just to get back at Ben Elton or whoever wrote that Young Ones skit that poked fun at the pupils for never swearing, which as we all know was closely followed by me losing interest in Grange Hill back when i was twenty eight

Ferris

The best thing about Grange Hill was that Spunge used to do a jam/ska version of the theme tune in between songs which was a good excuse to go to the bar and see if the other bartender working would serve you without asking for ID.

Other than that, shit. Unless this has Spunge in it; in which case - could be good.

Ok cheers.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: kalowski on January 06, 2022, 10:55:55 PMI hope it includes Mucker, Sucker, Rucker, Tucker and Spazz.

But *I'm* Spazz!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 06, 2022, 08:34:37 PMWelcome To Cedars Lodge - Toy. Released on Smalltown Supersound in 2007.

Flippin' eck, Tucker. I only gone and posted in the wrong fred.

Fambo Number Mive

From Wikipedia, some plots from the final series of Grange Hill:

QuoteWhen Mr McDonnell bans skateboards, Boarderman, Grange Hill's very own superhero, is born. however, not all the kids are happy about the new craze, and a plot gets underway to flush Boarderman out.

QuoteWhile Alex and Ed seem set for a wrestling grapple over Sammy, Andrea's aptitude for spelling puts her in the team for the Inter School Spelling Grapple. Chloe is mean about it and tells Andrea to spell pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis if she's so clever. Andrea meets the spelling champion, Olive Olliver, who silently spells out "Drop Dead Loser" with her Alphabeti Spaghetti. The web-stream is replaced by feed from the spelling contest, and Chloe finds herself drawn in, rooting for Andrea. All the competition is beaten, leaving just Andrea and Olive: Olive fails to spell continuum - Andrea's word is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis and she wins. Alex is about to ask Sammy out to the end of term prom when XS appears in a wrestling outfit, jumping on him. Alex leaves in an ambulance - to his horror he sees Ed with his arm around Sammy. Andrea triumphantly shows Chloe the Spelling Grapple cup - Chloe observes that they spelt her name wrong

QuoteFrench student Cecile gives Tigger a new look, but a collision with a netball post gives him a weird nightmare where all his friends have colourful, and scary personae.

Really hope the film is not like the latter series of Grange Hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grange_Hill_(series_31)

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 06, 2022, 09:33:24 AMAnd had a cracking theme tune
Absolute banger, does anyone know who wrote it?

Reminds me a lot of the RAC Lombard rally theme:

holyzombiejesus

This should be the theme tune if there is a film.

https://youtu.be/yRPMMludWWQ

Mr Banlon

I remember the late-80s spin-off film 'Gonch's Gooch' where the wheeler-dealer character Luke Gardner tried to develop a perineum anti-perspirant spray.

purlieu

If it's not got the '90s theme tune, I'm not watching it.

I think that remains one of my favourite pieces of music ever. Up there with Casualty and Gardener's World as the best themes.

(I may have grown up in the '90s.)

buzby

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 05, 2022, 07:11:44 PMWill it include the massive twist that it was in Liverpool all along?
The last 5 series were shot in Liverpool after Redmond took over production of the series from the BBC. Mersey TV bought the old Ashfield School campus in Childwall to turn it into a studio for the series. They also used a number of other Liverpool schools for location work - St. Hildas in Sefton Park, Holly Lodge in West Derby and Croxteth Comp (just up the road from where I lived at the time).

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 07, 2022, 10:12:32 AMAbsolute banger, does anyone know who wrote it?
Better quality version here:
From the video desctiption:
Written by Peter Moss, apparently while listening to Lover to Fall by Scritti Politti
QuoteReminds me a lot of the RAC Lombard rally theme:
That's because I suspect from the sounds it was either composed on a Fairlight using the factory sound samples (like all of ZTT's mid-80s output), or using  Fairlight samples (they got copied and converted for use on E-Mu and Akai samplers).

imitationleather

The '90s Grange Hill theme tune is just fantastic. Fuck off you Chicken Man boomers.

Sonny_Jim

Thanks Buzby, although I have just realised I'm a proper Dad for liking that.

gilbertharding

The big question for me is, why was I convinced - until today - that Bullet Baxter was the dad in the Oxo family. Like, I was literally reading his wikipedia page and thinking 'what - is he ashamed of it?'

kngen

Zammo returns as a Spice-dealing kingpin. Tucker kicks his cunt in, with the help, from the beyond the grave, of the wee guy who died in a car who designed the new school logo (Danny? Fuck knows. It was ages ago).

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: imitationleather on January 07, 2022, 11:48:27 AMThe '90s Grange Hill theme tune is just fantastic.

I heard somewhere that it was based on Lover to Fall by Scritti Politti

Replies From View

I remember hating the 1990 version of the theme at the time (something about a lot of synthesised music perturbed me on a sensory level) but it's alright isn't it.

Better than the 1988-89 rendition of the Chicken Man theme, which I never understood the point of.  Maybe their rights to use the original recording ended in 1987 so they experimented with rerecording it before abandoning it altogether.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 07, 2022, 03:19:56 PMThe big question for me is, why was I convinced - until today - that Bullet Baxter was the dad in the Oxo family. Like, I was literally reading his wikipedia page and thinking 'what - is he ashamed of it?'

Naa, Bullet preferred Outspan oranges to instant gravy granules because "Small ones are more juicy."

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on January 07, 2022, 05:48:37 PMI remember hating the 1990 version of the theme at the time (something about a lot of synthesised music perturbed me on a sensory level) but it's alright isn't it.

Better than the 1988-89 rendition of the Chicken Man theme, which I never understood the point of.  Maybe their rights to use the original recording ended in 1987 so they experimented with rerecording it before abandoning it altogether.

god i completely forgot about that. Tried to reimagine the iconic lunchtime moment too.

The original was made to be licenced, cant believe they had any problems keeping using it. Just wanted to modernise the title sequence and did the music too. Clearly wasnt enough if it only lasted two runs