Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:14:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Four cleared of Colston statue criminal damage

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 05, 2022, 04:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Some TV execs are missing a big opportunity here. I'm thinking a live saturday night entertainment show in the style of Noel Edmonds or Ant n Dec building up to an outside broadcast finale. However many questions/tasks your side has won = how many lads you get to help with the toppling. First week, Baden Powell vs Karl Marx. Working title: "Left, Right".

Buelligan

Maybe film a Bank Holiday special, utilising a ranged trebuchet - Going for a Burton.

shoulders

MP for Ipswich Tom Hunt apparently putting in writing in the Telegraph that we need to reconsider trial by jury, just in case you were wondering how easy it is for fascist psychopaths to enter powerful positions.

Endicott

shoulders

Quote from: Endicott on January 06, 2022, 02:09:16 PMBit of built in rhyming slang there.

There was an MP called Tom Hunt
Who behaved like an enormous CANISTER
With bellicose fury
He slammed trial by jury
And got it all arse back to BANNISTER

Norton Canes

QuoteTransport Secretary Grant Shapps said new powers in the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill would close a "potential loophole" limiting the prosecution of people who damage memorials.

The bill - currently going through Parliament - would allow courts to consider the "emotional or wider distress" caused by damage to public property

And also, presumably, the "emotional or wider distress" caused by having the likeness of a slave trader permanently visible in a public space.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 06, 2022, 02:16:15 PM
QuoteTransport Secretary Grant Shapps said new powers in the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill would close a "potential loophole" limiting the prosecution of people who damage memorials.

The bill - currently going through Parliament - would allow courts to consider the "emotional or wider distress" caused by damage to public property

And also, presumably, the "emotional or wider distress" caused by having the likeness of a slave trader permanently visible in a public space.

Remember, it's this Grant Shapps / Michael Green / Sebastian Fox:

QuoteGrant Shapps resigned as a minister in 2015 following revelations of his involvement with a bullying scandal that had led to a young Conservative Party activist taking their own life. Few would have imagined he could ever be reappointed to cabinet, still less to a more senior role. But in July 2019 Boris Johnson replaced the hapless and incompetent Chris Grayling as Transport Minister with someone even more discredited: Grant Shapps.

Then again, Shapps is no stranger to the art of reinvention. Indeed, he has proved remarkably inventive with his own identity.

In 2012, one of his constituents noticed that, while working as an MP, Shapps had also been peddling get-rich-quick-schemes online under the assumed names 'Michael Green' and 'Sebastian Fox'. The schemes, marketed by Shapps' company How To Corp under such titles as 'Stinking Rich 3', promised unwary punters that they could make large amounts of money very rapidly if they followed 'Michael Green's' instructions.  These included the instruction to recruit more punters to sell get-rich-quick schemes to the public – a classic feature of pyramid-selling schemes.

Shapps at first attempted to deny this, saying: 'Let me get this absolutely clear... I don't have a second job and have never had a second job while being an MP. End of story.' He also threatened to sue the constituent who had uncovered what he had been up to. Days later, he was forced to admit the truth, though he did this in a characteristically slippery manner, saying that he had 'over-firmly denied' the story.

https://cabinetofhorrors.org/grant-shapps/

shoulders

Ten years, outrageous. Have to hope the new process to complain about such issues provides genuine accountability. That is the only way to avoid a repeat that keeps both sides content enough... but I don't see it happening. There will always be some cunt in the big chair with a veto on a power trip. They will be the roadblock and the pressure will spill over into a mob.

So we will likely end up with bigger arbitrary disproportionate sentences for when protesters take matters into their own hands when justice is denied to them by cunts in big chairs.

jobotic

This Tom Cunt?

QuoteFollowing an interim report on the connections between colonialism and properties now in the care of the National Trust, including links with historic slavery, Hunt was among the signatories of a letter to The Telegraph from the "Common Sense Group" of Conservative Parliamentarians. The letter accused the National Trust of being "coloured by cultural Marxist dogma, colloquially known as the 'woke agenda'".[27] He has also said that Historic England are "waging a war against our heritage", and considers their approach to explaining slavery at their sites as "Maoist and dystopian".

In April 2021, Hunt called for the flying of the Union Jack to be made compulsory in all schools, stating on Twitter that "If any pupils and teachers have concerns about this then surely they can be "educated" about what the flag actually represents".[30] He was criticised for this by many social media users[28]

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 06, 2022, 10:45:42 AMIf Colston's statue was on his grave plot in a churchyard somewhere I don't think people would advocate removing it in quite the same way.

colston has a very high quality stone monument with a recling effigy in All Saints Corn Street, made with his own money shortly after his death. Presumably his body is under the floor

Its not really a church anymore and you cant get in easily so no one really sees it much, but even so it's a very different thing. You expect churches to be full of memorials to dead cunts, just not total cunts on pedestals in public squares for no reason other than a Victorian cunt wanted to an icon of early cunt capitalism up.

earl_sleek

Given that jury nullification has existed in English law since the 17th century, I can't help but wonder if concerns about precedents are a little late.

dissolute ocelot

If you consider distress surely you also have to consider the joy caused by the destruction of property and monuments. If you smashed up Edinburgh's Greyfriars Bobby dog statue, everyone would be sad, and you would be jailed for life, but if you smashed up a monument to a slaveowner or amusingly defaced a statue of somebody that nobody cared about, you would be entitled to public money. Grants for putting a parking cone on the Duke of Wellington's head.

Replies From View

Has anyone mocked up the title of this thread as the cover of an Enid Blyton book yet?

danwho9

Quote from: Replies From View on January 06, 2022, 10:17:38 PMHas anyone mocked up the title of this thread as the cover of an Enid Blyton book yet?

Enid Blyton considers rewrite.

Endicott

Johnny Yesno

Goldentony

are statues just not basically action figures? like brass funko pops? why would anyone be arsed about it

gib

Quote from: shoulders on January 06, 2022, 12:02:08 PMWhatever pleases you. Ultimately some people are unwilling to recognise nuance on issues that are emotive or tribal for them.

mate, i was only pissing about

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on January 06, 2022, 10:17:38 PMHas anyone mocked up the title of this thread as the cover of an Enid Blyton book yet?

I'm always several steps ahead.

Quote from: Ferris on January 05, 2022, 10:23:44 PM[tag]Enid Blyton's gritty modern reboot panned by critics[/tag]

Replies From View

I assumed somebody would have made the joke - wondered if anyone had mocked it up in photoshop or anything like that.  There's often one or two people who go that little bit further than the bog standard likes of you or I.