Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:07:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wordle! It's the new craze

Started by kalowski, January 06, 2022, 10:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Wordle 208 2/6*

⬛🟨🟨🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
LAYER
ABBEY

As I typed in 'layer', I thought "what a fucking stupid waste putting a Y in the first row, idiot". Gamble paid off.
[close]

machotrouts

Wordle 208 3/6

🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ATONE
ABLED
ABBEY

Fuck I'm so good at this. Fuuccccccck

Edit: Fuck you BritishHobo bitch
[close]

The Late Satoru Iwata

I genuinely couldn't work out what the fuss was because I guessed first time on the first two puzzles - no way to do it deliberately so zero skill involved.

Haven't had that experience a third time and so have actually learned how it's meant to be played.

Wordle 208 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
RAISE
EVADE
BLEAT
ABBEY
[close]

pigamus

Wordle 208 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
RADIO
MEANS
EXTRA
CHEAP
AWAKE
ABBEY
[close]

The Lurker

Spoiler alert
Thought sorry was going to be the word after yesterday's debacle

SORRY
MANLY
APTLY
ABBEY
[close]

Retinend

on my app store (in Germany) I get some bullshit app that has the exact same name as the real deal - as a first result!

Then I get one that looks like the real deal - at least, looking like the image in the article I read

...but in the article I read it says "ad-free" and I get this big stupid, unremovable advert right over the keyboard until I step on it - also the rules of the thing are totally obscure - I have to "guess the word"?

...and I see no other "Wordle"s in the app store. Fuck Wordle. Fuck apps. Fuck adverts. This is what happens when you try to follow a trend.

The Guppy

It's not an app, it's a website.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

Any apps you see are cunts trying to cash in.

Cuellar

Struck it lucky today, managed to get it in one

JaDanketies

🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one today for me. I had to essentially cheat to get the last word, I guess the
Spoiler alert
double letter
[close]
blanked me. Went on this website. Also I Googled for words with five letters and four vowels so I could get a good starter word.

Spoiler alert
ADIEU
ANGER
ABLES
ABBEY
[close]

mothman

^ Sounds like a local newspaper headline.

MojoJojo

Wordle 208 4/6

🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ARIEL
STOUT
MAWKS <- wasn't sure if this would be in their word list
ABBEY
[close]

After a good first guess I failed to get any more letters and had to do it by what I'd left out.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 13, 2022, 09:39:39 AM🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tough one today for me. I had to essentially cheat to get the last word, I guess the
Spoiler alert
double letter
[close]
blanked me. Went on this website. Also I Googled for words with five letters and four vowels so I could get a good starter word.

Spoiler alert
ADIEU
ANGER
ABLES
ABBEY
[close]

I've avoided using sites like that so far because THAT'S CHEETING

Wordle 208 X/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜

But that said, today was my first failure so there might be something in the idea of being a dirty cheeting rat, and it turns out that even more so than yesterday's American spelling my brain refuses to want to see

Spoiler alert
double letters
REAPS
FATED
ANNEX <- this is particularly annoying in hindsight given that it's the same double-consonant-plus-tail-end-of-alphabet-letter as the actual answer
ACKEE  <- and this is where I really begin to scrape the barrel
AUGER
ARIEL

For anyone interested in how double letters appear in guesses when you've already got one of them in the right place (I went to look because I didn't know if they would be gray or yellow), the answer is they come out yellow:

LOBBY
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟩
[close]

Replies From View

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 13, 2022, 10:32:40 AMWordle 208 4/6

🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ARIEL
STOUT
MAWKS <- wasn't sure if this would be in their word list
ABBEY
[close]

After a good first guess I failed to get any more letters and had to do it by what I'd left out.

Ones that look like faces should receive a bonus point.

Replies From View

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 13, 2022, 09:39:39 AM🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
double letter
[close]

Spoiler alert
ADIEU
ANGER
ABLES
ABBEY
[close]

Seems a bit pointless to cheat.  You could just come here and get the answer.

robhug

They should have a different colour for a recurring letter, took me an hour to eliminate every other word before I was confident it must be.

And an asterix for fuckin Americanisms

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on January 13, 2022, 11:57:30 AMSeems a bit pointless to cheat.  You could just come here and get the answer.

I do it on crosswords sometimes when I'm 99% confident that the word I'm struggling to get is some dogshit setters' word filled with vowels. I don't think I'd have any clue what an epee was if it wasn't for that sort of bollocks. It feels less like cheating with a crossword as you can do it to unblock yourself for the remaining clues, but when there's only one word to be got...

JaDanketies

I guess the thing is that you want to complete the thing in some reasonable time so you can get on with your work, and also because you can't believe you're not getting it out, it has to be impossible. And it's hard to actually fail the game too if you're not ignoring the colours, because it doesn't let you put non-words in. So I thought it must be some bullshit word like yesterday.

touchingcloth

Quote from: robhug on January 13, 2022, 12:01:34 PMThey should have a different colour for a recurring letter, took me an hour to eliminate every other word before I was confident it must be.

And an asterix for fuckin Americanisms

I like that it doesn't give any additional information for double letters - it's the same as Mastermind in that regard where people realise early on that if you're the setter rather than the guesser that you can do four pegs of the same colour to flummox a new player.

Americanisms. Hmmm. Now that I've seen it once I won't get quite so stumped again. With it being five-letter words I think it's really only going to be -our words which feature. I can't think of many words that length which feature a single rather than double l or an -ize instead of an -ise.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 13, 2022, 12:10:43 PMI guess the thing is that you want to complete the thing in some reasonable time so you can get on with your work

You think I'm doing the puzzle because I want to be productive?

mothman

You'd need a colour for:

- A doubled letter where it's not in the right place (i.e. not yellow)
- A doubled letter where it's in the right place (i.e. not just green)

NoSleep

Spoiler alert
BAGEL
AMBER
ABBEY
[close]

touchingcloth

Quote from: mothman on January 13, 2022, 12:38:14 PMYou'd need a colour for:

- A doubled letter where it's not in the right place (i.e. not yellow)
- A doubled letter where it's in the right place (i.e. not just green)

Triple letters, too. There are five letter words which include triples.

Retinend

thanks for the pointer!

I did fairly well I think. I got it with a line to spare.

Wordle 208 5/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

bollocks, how do you do it?

Spoiler alert

amateur

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2022, 11:54:28 AMWordle 208 X/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜

I had this happen a few times early on - faffed about guessing with just two letters locked in because they were in the right place.

My strategy? Glad you asked. Once I've got two in green, but unhelpful places, I don't use them in my next guess. That opens up the opportunity to use all five spots and find a few more yellows and maybe even a few greens that wouldn't come up if I'm just taking punts at words I know.

Apols if this strategy has already come up but thought best to get in before this game becomes passé (not in their word list)

touchingcloth

Quote from: amateur on January 13, 2022, 02:45:17 PMI had this happen a few times early on - faffed about guessing with just two letters locked in because they were in the right place.

My strategy? Glad you asked. Once I've got two in green, but unhelpful places, I don't use them in my next guess. That opens up the opportunity to use all five spots and find a few more yellows and maybe even a few greens that wouldn't come up if I'm just taking punts at words I know.

Apols if this strategy has already come up but thought best to get in before this game becomes passé (not in their word list)

I've done that before. It depends on the kind of mood I'm in - in chess terms I don't like playing a known wrong word and losing a tempo, but in not going mad staring blankly at the screen and trying to find a word that fits it can be good to forget the known good letters and go back to a new word using the un-tried common letters.

Next time I feel stumped, I might head to a crossword solver and look at the number of results rather than the results themselves to see just how many words fit the pattern and see how I fancy my chances of mentally scanning through that many.

shiftwork2

First one out of four that has defeated me.  Wasn't clear on the repeated letters and I am sticking with that excuse.

amateur

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2022, 03:01:49 PMI've done that before. It depends on the kind of mood I'm in - in chess terms I don't like playing a known wrong word and losing a tempo, but in not going mad staring blankly at the screen and trying to find a word that fits it can be good to forget the known good letters and go back to a new word using the un-tried common letters.

I hear you. For me, the goal isn't how quickly I can solve it - just that I solve it, so I'm happy if it comes good on the sixth.

Whatever it takes, I will solve that Wordle.

robhug

I've begun to always start with WEARY and see how I go from there. I do insist on all guesses being possible answers, which means I get them all within 2,3 or 4 goes but it is incredibly time consuming.

Still, its something to do at work.

jobotic

Wordle 208 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟩⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
COAST
BREAK
FABLE
DEBUT
ABBEY
[close]

Seems good but took me ages.

Is using a pen and paper cheating btw?

touchingcloth

Quote from: jobotic on January 13, 2022, 05:24:21 PMIs using a pen and paper cheating btw?

Nah. It's allowed on Countdown, and I do it with crossword anagrams. I don't actually have a pen or any paper these days, but I use Xs in Wordle so I can make a word with blanks and correct letters in the right places!