Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:46:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wordle! It's the new craze

Started by kalowski, January 06, 2022, 10:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

Quote from: Bernice on January 16, 2022, 10:33:30 AMIn 3:

Spoiler alert
DELAY
PORTS
SOLAR
[close]

Definitely a mug's game to reuse your green - gotta get a spread over the first two or three at least.
Not bad...I got
Spoiler alert
SLAIN
SALTY
SOLAR
[close]

popcorn

Presumably there is a five-letter word that contains all of the five most common letters in English. If so, is there any reason not to start each game with that word? Feels a bit boring...

touchingcloth

Quote from: popcorn on January 16, 2022, 12:32:04 PMPresumably there is a five-letter word that contains all of the five most common letters in English. If so, is there any reason not to start each game with that word? Feels a bit boring...

ARIEL is close to it. That said, 3/5 of the letters are vowels, and because they're the most common letters it doesn't necessarily help narrow things down because it can leave you with an ambiguous set of letters. There are more words with an AR_ _ _ pattern than, say, Z_ _R_ (using ARIEL and ZAIRE as first guesses, which use contain the same vowels).

I quite like the chaos of having the first guess enforced, though. Playing with GRAVE for a few days was fun, so I'm switching to using yesterday's answer for a bit and might switch to using a random word generator. I'd be up for matching first guess with other CaBbers if anyone was up for it.

The FAKE WORDLE site lets you use a seed number. Mebbe we could do a CaB one using a random number to seed, and a random word to use as the first guess.

E.g. http://foldr.moe/hello-wordl/?seed=80480 / SNAIL

kalowski

Quote from: popcorn on January 16, 2022, 12:32:04 PMPresumably there is a five-letter word that contains all of the five most common letters in English. If so, is there any reason not to start each game with that word? Feels a bit boring...
I often start with AEONS and THIRD as they are (I think) the ten most common letters in English.

JaDanketies

A statistical analysis shows the best starting word is SOARE, apparently.

wooders1978

STAIN or SLAIN are my go tos - I am sure there are better ones out there but they serve me well

Proactive

I think I prefer the peril of not getting it correct at all rather than doing it in as few goes as possible, so just use the first word that comes to me as my first attempt.

NoSleep

Spoiler alert
CAGED
VOILA
TONAL
SOLAR
[close]

Norton Canes

Spoiler alert
Looks like I picked the right day to finally try the OUIJA strategy

Wordle 211 3/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟩🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
[close]

JaDanketies

http://queerdle.com/ is pretty much the same but the words have an LGBT bent, also the interface is a little less slick

amateur

Just fucking go for it lads, bit of fun.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 16, 2022, 01:13:58 PMA statistical analysis shows the best starting word is SOARE, apparently.

That's specifically for the words which are known to be in Wordle's database - you can inspect the code in your browser and see the words set to appear for the next ~2,000 days.

jobotic

Wordle 211 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Noodle Lizard

Less than 30 seconds!

Wordle 211 3/6

🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟨🟩🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ALOFT
LOANS
SOLAR
[close]

kalowski

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 16, 2022, 02:21:05 PMhttp://queerdle.com/ is pretty much the same but the words have an LGBT bent, also the interface is a little less slick
Show my lack of knowledge but why do
Spoiler alert
BATHS
[close]
have an LGBT bent?

mothman

Quote from: kalowski on January 16, 2022, 05:31:47 PMShow my lack of knowledge but why do
Spoiler alert
BATHS
[close]
have an LGBT bent?
"Why is there a song about YMCAs?"

kalowski

mothman

touchingcloth

Quote from: kalowski on January 16, 2022, 05:31:47 PMShow my lack of knowledge but why do
Spoiler alert
BATHS
[close]
have an LGBT bent?

It's a euphemism. There are "bath houses" where there's not very much actual bathing going on.

machotrouts

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 16, 2022, 02:21:05 PMhttp://queerdle.com/ is pretty much the same but the words have an LGBT bent, also the interface is a little less slick

#Queerdle 11 6/6

🍌🥥🥥🥥🥥
🍌🥥🥥🥥🥥
🍌🥥🥥🥥🥥
🍌🥥🥥🥥🥥
🍌🥥🥥🥥🥥
🍌🥥🥥🥥🥥

Spoiler alert
ATONE
ATONE
ATONE
ATONE
ATONE
ATONE
[close]

selectivememory

Wordle 212 3/6

🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
SHITE
SHINE
SHIRE
[close]

Oof. Got very lucky, but still annoyed I didn't get it in two.

Poobum

Wordle 212 4/6

⬜🟨🟩🟨⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ARIEL
TOURS
SPIRE
SHIRE
[close]

Was so sure I'd got it in three, then very confused.

mothman

Wordle 212 3/6

🟨⬛🟩🟨🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
RAISE
SPIRE
SHIRE
[close]

Bit annoying.

machotrouts

Wordle 212 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ATONE
SCRIM
SPIRE
SHIRE

Shout-out to the SPIRE squad ✊
[close]

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Wordle 212 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
FLAPS
SHITS
SHIRK
SHIRE
[close]
Childish cursing wins again!

touchingcloth

Wordle 212 5/6

🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟩⬛🟨🟩⬛
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
SOLAR
CUBED
STERN
SPIRE
SHIRE
[close]

Another shout to the crew! And I'm enjoying Poirots BigGarlickyCunts's rude technique.

Thursday

Wordle 212 3/6

🟩⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
Soare proved to be a good tip for today

SOARE
SPIRE
SHIRE

It should have been Spire not Shire though, Spire is a better word, cooler actually. So morally I think I got it in two guesses.
[close]

Crenners

Wordle 212 2/6

🟩⬛⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The Lurker

Wordle 212 3/6

🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️🟨
🟩⬜️⬜️🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Really thought I was getting that in two

Spoiler alert