Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Free Palestine Solidarity with Emma Watson and Novara

Started by Buelligan, January 07, 2022, 12:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Was just watching a short film about the brouhaha following Emma Watson's Solidarity Instagram message on Novara

I thought some of the points made by Dalia Gebrial about the motivations behind the reactions and how it's working out were worth thinking about.  Thought I'd share the vid for others to consider. 

Butchers Blind

Why are we concerned with what Emma Watson has to say?

Buelligan

Watch the film, it's not really about what Emma Watson has to say.

Paul Calf

It's not though, is it? I mean, she even uses as a noun. Three times.

Paul Calf

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 07, 2022, 12:40:24 PMWhy are we concerned with what Emma Watson has to say?

Because she is pretty much an icon for an entire generation and, as a celebrity who regularly uses her status to draw attention to political and social causes without the egotistic posturing of a Bono or whoever, even made the Time 100 list recently, so what she says bears some weight, and she is in the news right now because her ludicrous smearing as an antisemite by certain Israeli government officials has got a lot of people rightly outraged.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 07, 2022, 12:59:04 PMBecause she is pretty much an icon for an entire generation and even made the Time 100 list recently, so what she says bears some weight, and she is in the news right now because her ludicrous smearing as an antisemite by certain Israeli government officials has got a lot of people rightly outraged.

Yeah, but, Emma Watson? She's not even very good at her day job.

Inspector Norse

Neither is Boris Johnson and he's in the news all the bloody time

Kankurette

Oh please, she's not antisemitic. We're not talking Gary Oldman here.

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 07, 2022, 12:40:24 PMWhy are we concerned with what Emma Watson has to say?

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 07, 2022, 12:59:04 PMBecause she is pretty much an icon for an entire generation and, as a celebrity who regularly uses her status to draw attention to political and social causes without the egotistic posturing of a Bono or whoever, even made the Time 100 list recently, so what she says bears some weight, and she is in the news right now because her ludicrous smearing as an antisemite by certain Israeli government officials has got a lot of people rightly outraged.

She's the Charlotte Church of the Angry Birds generation.

Absolutely no reason she can't have an opinion on this. She's clearly not doing it to further her career.

Bigfella

I can't watch videos on my phone.  What's the gist of it?

phantom_power

She expressed solidarity with Palestine, then got labelled as anti-Semitic from some quarters

PlanktonSideburns

She used the power and influence afforded to her by being an actor to do good things and give a shit

I've only ever seen her giving a shit and elevating a Darren aronofski film (no mean feat) so she gets at least an

WAIT .... let's see where she's going with this

From me

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm reserving judgement on this until the rest of the main cast of the Harry Potter films passes comment. What does Daniel Radcliffe, as a Jew, have to say? What about the ginger one?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: phantom_power on January 07, 2022, 02:00:11 PMShe expressed solidarity with Palestine, then got labelled as anti-Semitic from some quarters

You're not allowed to call them that any more.

pigamus

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 07, 2022, 12:57:40 PMSolidarity is a verb - use it in a sentence.

Well if you're showing solidarity with someone that is kind of a verb.

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

OOH YEAH BABY SOLIDARITY ME YEAH YEAH LIKE I SOLIDARITY YOU WALESA MY NIPPLES YOU DIRTY BITCH SOLIDARITY ME GOOD AND HARD

Paul Calf

SOLIDARITY ALL OVER DIS BITCH OOH YEAH SOLIDARITY MY ASS MOTHERFUCKER

OOPS. I APPEAR TO HAVE SOLIDARITIED ALL OVER THE FLOOR.

pigamus

(I) (show solidarity with) (the Palestinians). Subject verb object. If you say you show with the Palestinians, that doesn't make sense, unless you're a flasher. It's a bit daft to say a noun that describes a process can't be a verb, even if it needs a little bit of help.

Paul Calf

Quote from: pigamus on January 07, 2022, 03:04:59 PM(I) (show solidarity with) (the Palestinians). Subject verb object. If you say you show with the Palestinians, that doesn't make sense, unless you're a flasher. It's a bit daft to say a noun that describes a process can't be a verb, even if it needs a little bit of help.

Nope.

gilbertharding

If this is really what this thread is going to be...

It's fairly obvious that 'Solidarity is a verb' isn't supposed to be literally true, isn't it? It's a figure of speech that means showing solidarity should be something you act upon, or at least show, not just think about and keep to yourself.

Paul Calf

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 07, 2022, 03:23:24 PMIf this is really what this thread is going to be...

It's fairly obvious that 'Solidarity is a verb' isn't supposed to be literally true, isn't it? It's a figure of speech that means showing solidarity should be something you act upon, or at least show, not just think about and keep to yourself.

I know. I think it's a dumb slogan, so I am lampooning it.

pigamus

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 07, 2022, 03:09:03 PMNope.

Actually you could also be a visual artist in the Gaza Strip now I think about it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 07, 2022, 03:33:58 PMI know. I think it's a dumb slogan, so I am lampooning it.

Oh. My sides.

What did you think of 'Go to work on an egg'? I'm all ears.