Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,350
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Free Palestine Solidarity with Emma Watson and Novara

Started by Buelligan, January 07, 2022, 12:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Buelligan

Heheh.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 07, 2022, 04:51:22 PMWhy are we even paying attention to people that are shit at the job they're known for doing? If they're incompetent at that why would I care about anything else they have to say?

If you watched the video in the OP, you'd see that that (perhaps more reasonably phrased) is the question.  Or the observation.  Or the warning.

Every time someone says, WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE PALESTINIANS!!!1!!!!!!?  Some apologist for apartheid in Israel shouts - FUCK ME, THAT'S ANTISEMITISM.

These people aren't stupid.  They actively work to ensure that, when someone raises the issue, rather than permitting discussion of the atrocious conditions the Palestinian people are being forced to endure by the Israeli government,  the barbarbarism and flagrant illegality of the behaviour of the Israeli authorities, the wicked brutality of their actions, the convo gets steered onto Emma Watson's (or whoever's) acting or antisemitism or some other shit. 

The debate is never allowed to move in the direction of support for Palestine.  Or support for BDS.  Or anything else that would prove a hindrance to the appalling behaviour of Israel toward Palestinians.  We shouldn't keep falling for this.

Here's that vid again, it's only eight minutes.  As I said, I think Dalia makes some extremely good points.

shoulders

Yes, and there are also pretty decent explanations for why contained in this thread. It doesn't exactly fill one with faith in progressing the discussion when they get ignored.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 07, 2022, 04:51:22 PMWhy are we even paying attention to people that are shit at the job they're known for doing? If they're incompetent at that why would I care about anything else they have to say?

The inverse sounds pretty mad too

Great actor, wonder what they think about Palestine

How about judging things on their individual merit

I've barely seen anything Emma Watson is in, so can't say if she's good at acting or not. But what's important here is that someone with her platform and following expressed solidarity with the Palestinian cause, before being publicly called a racist by Israeli government officials because of it.

Johnny Yesno

PlanktonSideburns

Not sure if I can make my mind up about how good an actor Harrison Ford is until I have a report on my desk about how good a set carpenter he was before he became an actor

And as for that hitler bloke, it's a miracle anyone listened to anything he said considering the state of his landscape paintings

shoulders

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/miriam-margolyes-stands-up-for-emma-watson/

QuoteSpeaking to Palestine Deep Dive, Miriam Margolyes expressed her support for Emma Watson's recent stand on Palestine saying, "I totally support Emma Watson's recent remarks on Palestine. All decent people should too.  The Israeli treatment of Palestinians is disgraceful. Anti-semitism is not at issue. What matters is opposing cruelty, speaking out for compassion. Criticising Israel is not in itself, an anti-Semitic stance. Conflating the two is a form of disguised censorship

This deserves some sort of love heart emoji.

Jollity

It would be wrong to suppose that all Jews, or even all Israeli citizens, are unanimous in support of the Israeli government's shitty actions. After all, I'd hate for people to assume I have unconditional support for the dipshits that make up our ruling class just because I was born on this particular lump of Northern Europe. But some people are still going to call that antisemitic because "you don't criticise other governments" (you don't know what I do) and because I'm an easy target (I have a lot of anxiety about not being liked, and about upsetting people, plus I'm not important in any way, so nobody cares what you say about me). But honestly, some of these people* are so free and ready to throw around accusations of antisemitism, even my tangled brain full of spiders has to think "you say that about everybody, who the hell cares?"

*and by "these people", I actually don't necessarily mean Jewish people, because some of the maddest are not actually Jewish at all.

Buelligan

Quote from: shoulders on January 08, 2022, 03:04:05 PMhttps://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/miriam-margolyes-stands-up-for-emma-watson/

This deserves some sort of love heart emoji.

It certainly does.

Quote from: from that articleSpeaking to Palestine Deep Dive, Miriam Margolyes expressed her support for Emma Watson's recent stand on Palestine saying, "I totally support Emma Watson's recent remarks on Palestine. All decent people should too.  The Israeli treatment of Palestinians is disgraceful. Anti-semitism is not at issue. What matters is opposing cruelty, speaking out for compassion. Criticising Israel is not in itself, an anti-Semitic stance. Conflating the two is a form of disguised censorship."

It's a very good article, very well worth reading, in that it's hugely encouraging to see so many people who have or had a great deal to lose, including their lives, standing up to be counted. 

Rachel Corrie was 23.

Kankurette

Quote from: Jollity on January 08, 2022, 09:48:46 PMIt would be wrong to suppose that all Jews, or even all Israeli citizens, are unanimous in support of the Israeli government's shitty actions. After all, I'd hate for people to assume I have unconditional support for the dipshits that make up our ruling class just because I was born on this particular lump of Northern Europe. But some people are still going to call that antisemitic because "you don't criticise other governments" (you don't know what I do) and because I'm an easy target (I have a lot of anxiety about not being liked, and about upsetting people, plus I'm not important in any way, so nobody cares what you say about me). But honestly, some of these people* are so free and ready to throw around accusations of antisemitism, even my tangled brain full of spiders has to think "you say that about everybody, who the hell cares?"

*and by "these people", I actually don't necessarily mean Jewish people, because some of the maddest are not actually Jewish at all.
There's nothing wrong with what you said though. Jews aren't a hive mind and plenty of us don't support Israel. Some Jews are anti-Zionist for religious reasons.