Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Guess Who's Coming to Grave

Started by Petey Pate, January 07, 2022, 04:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

The great Sidney Poitier has died.

Quote from: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/01/sidney-poitier-dies-94"As I see myself, I'm just the average Joe Blow Negro," Sidney Poitier told The New York Times in 1959. "But as the cats say in my area, I'm out there wailing for us all." That tension, between trying to be an ordinary man and having to serve as a racial exemplar, defined the life of Poitier, who died Thursday at the age of 94. News of his death was announced by Fred Mitchell, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Bahamas, where Poitier's family hailed from, and reported first by Bahamian news sources.

The first black actor to win a best-actor Oscar, and the first to become America's top box-office draw, Poitier also spent two lonely decades as Hollywood's only black leading man. He opened doors for others that he could hardly pass through himself, ever conscious of his need to set a lofty example.

Not to kick him when he's dead, but one of his lesser achievements was being the credited director on the lamentable 1990 comedy Ghost Dad starring Bill Cosby, which unsurprisingly has not been mentioned in any article I've seen so far.

Blumf

To Grave, with Love

EDIT: There was a To Sir, with Love II?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117927/

Petey Pate

One point I've not seen anyone else pick up on, is that without Sidney Poitier, rave and jungle music may not have existed.

Basically, if Sidney hadn't sung this song in Lillies of the Field, The Winstons would never have recorded their own instrumental version containing the drum break endlessly reused and rinsed in hundreds of future tracks.

Mister Six

In the Cold of the Grave.

Jesus, i don't remember him being in Bill Cosby's Ghost Dad!

Petey Pate

Quote from: Mister Six on January 07, 2022, 04:59:53 PMJesus, i don't remember him being in Bill Cosby's Ghost Dad!

He wasn't, he was the director.

A better comedy film he directed was Stir Crazy, starring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.

Mr_Simnock

mothman

Deadney Poitier.

Loved him in Sneakers. People tend to forget he could be funny too.

Mister Six

Egyptian Feast

Genuine LOL at seeing the thread title pop up in the list. I wondered what it might be, but it couldn't have been anything else. Maybe 'They Call Me Mister Dead!'

Congrats Petey Pete and commisserations to Sydney Poitier for being dead. You were a great actor, a pioneer and pretty damn handsome too.

phantom_power

Quote from: Blumf on January 07, 2022, 04:35:42 PMTo Grave, with Love

EDIT: There was a To Sir, with Love II?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117927/

The curse of To Sir With Love II takes two more victims