Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical Egg on Musical Face

Started by markburgle, January 08, 2022, 09:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Quote from: Endicott on January 08, 2022, 12:18:23 PMI was once tricked into believing a very low quality cassette recording of Winchester Cathedral was in fact a demo song by my mate's band.

My mate Neil claimed to have written the song "Hey Mr Taliban, send us your Bin Laden, if you don't then we'll drop some bombs". Later, as it was sweeping the playground, I attempted to give him his due credit and felt like a right wally when I was informed that it was actually written by Anon.

Luckily, this was a few years after I'd informed my mum that Anon was my favourite poet, as he'd written all the best ones, so that was one landmine I avoided at least. Can still picture him as a very intense looking ancient Greek man though.

flotemysost

Quote from: markburgle on January 11, 2022, 10:24:19 PMThe Birthday Party and The Wedding Present went in the same box in my head for a while.

I had this one too, along with loads of others when I was younger. INXS and XTC. Steve Tyler and Steve Perry (prob got confused thanks to Joe Perry there, tbf).

I also used to (unfairly) conflate lots of 00s indie bands with "The" names in my head, probably to the detriment of actually bothering to check out some of them.

A few years ago one of my friends started talking about Jimi Hendrix and I noticed she was referring to him in the present tense - when I pointed out he's been dead for ages, she said "Not him, the other one."
"Err..... Lenny Kravitz?"
"Yeah, him!"

(Said friend is Black by the way, and don't think there was any egg on her face, she's always been upfront about having very little interest in rock music. I thought it was pretty funny though.)

flotemysost

Quote from: dr beat on January 11, 2022, 06:34:36 PMOne for the pop crazed youngsters - its 'oh what wow, he's the greatest dancer', not 'I wonder why...'

I always heard it as a valley-girl-esque "I'm, like, wow". Until now. Mm, scrambled to perfection!

I know this isn't the misheard lyrics thread but on the topic of disco discombobulation, I first thought I heard "Le freak? 'S a shit", like they were just seriously unimpressed with le freak. (To be fair the original lyrics apparently weren't too refined either, "Ahh, fuck off!" though I don't know if that was followed up with "le fuck, c'est chic".)

willbo

not music but for some reason I thought, for years, Tom Ellis (of Miranda and Lucifer) was called Giles Coren...

phantom_power

Quote from: willbo on January 14, 2022, 12:05:35 AMnot music but for some reason I thought, for years, Tom Ellis (of Miranda and Lucifer) was called Giles Coren...

They look the same, which is unfair on Ellis as I hold residual hate for him simply for looking like one of the biggest cunts on the planet

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phantom_power on January 14, 2022, 10:41:16 AMThey look the same, which is unfair on Ellis as I hold residual hate for him simply for looking like one of the biggest cunts on the planet
Maybe that's how he got biggest job so far:

"So, we need someone to play Lucifer, ruler of Hell, the King of Darkness."
"OK - so there's this Brit actor, Tom Ellis, I have in mind."
"Eh. I'm not sure. Never heard of him, for one thing."
"He looks like Giles Coren."
"Perfect."

Utter Shit

Straying further into misheard lyrics territory but for years I thought the line in Golden Brown was "lays me down, with my  mancherions", despite mancherions not being a word. I rationalised it as the word meaning some sort of handcuffs - presumably because it bears a tiny resemblance to manacles? - but even then it doesn't make any sense.

The embarrassment is less about mishearing the line and more about my total lack of curiosity about a word I didn't recognise and a sentence I didn't understand. Just accepted my initial interpretation without questioning it for a second.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 14, 2022, 09:25:34 PMThe embarrassment is less about mishearing the line and more about my total lack of curiosity about a word I didn't recognise and a sentence I didn't understand. Just accepted my initial interpretation without questioning it for a second.

Before you could look up a lyric on the internet there was no easy way to check it, and anyway, curiosity usually didn't even last until the end of the song, and by then there's another song to distract you.

I find that because the wrong versions of lyrics have been in my long term memory for so long, whenever I look up the correct lyric of something I've usually forgotten it by the next time I hear the song.

(I thought "mancheerum" was "a stirrup, for a horse" because thats what someone at school said it was.)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

You can sing this thread title to the start of the " Roobarb" theme, y'know.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I thought it was "Manchurians", as in candidate.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 14, 2022, 09:25:34 PMStraying further into misheard lyrics territory but for years I thought the line in Golden Brown was "lays me down, with my  mancherions", despite mancherions not being a word. I rationalised it as the word meaning some sort of handcuffs - presumably because it bears a tiny resemblance to manacles? - but even then it doesn't make any sense.

That's exactly what I thought he was singing for years, except I imagined them to be a flower or maybe the kind of drink scuzzy fucks like them would live on in Casablanca or wherever they were (Holland Park).

I once lost a quiz because I mistook Dusty Springfield for Sandy Shaw.

NoSleep

Did any of them sing a duet with Muddy Waters?

NoSleep

...or get sampled by Ol' Dirty Bastard?

NoSleep

When it came to singing partners, I assume they were very particular.

NoSleep

As long as they shared some common ground.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: notjosh on January 13, 2022, 01:41:25 PMMy mate Neil claimed to have written the song "Hey Mr Taliban, send us your Bin Laden, if you don't then we'll drop some bombs". Later, as it was sweeping the playground, I attempted to give him his due credit and felt like a right wally when I was informed that it was actually written by Anon.

Luckily, this was a few years after I'd informed my mum that Anon was my favourite poet, as he'd written all the best ones, so that was one landmine I avoided at least. Can still picture him as a very intense looking ancient Greek man though.

I think you're getting him confused with Arr Trad.

I used to think Redman was in Wu Tang Clan. I could swear someone said it at school.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 17, 2022, 01:49:15 PMI used to think Redman was in Wu Tang Clan. I could swear someone said it at school.

Easy mistake to make, I thought Jeru The Damaja was involved with them too until recently.

Utter Shit

Yeah, Redman's (extremely underwheleming given the people involved) collaborative work with Method Man definitely makes it understandable. Anyway, Wu-Tang Clan has more affiliate members than the Putty Patrol and Redman has a bigger collection to the group than half of them.

willbo

oh shit...for some reason I thought for years the old disabled trainer in the film Dodgeball was played by Tom Waits. I can't even remember why. I think I saw it at the same time as that other film Waits was in. Luckily I googled to find it was Rip Torn soon enough. I don't think I even knew who Waits was at the time, I think I thought he was Neil Young or someone else.

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 17, 2022, 02:01:53 PMYeah, Redman's (extremely underwheleming given the people involved) collaborative work with Method Man definitely makes it understandable. Anyway, Wu-Tang Clan has more affiliate members than the Putty Patrol and Redman has a bigger collection to the group than half of them.

I also originally thought Redman's bit in Dirrty by Christina Aguilera was Old Dirty Bastard, as it sounds like he mentions "ODB" at one point.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Looks like I've got enough for an omelette.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Enjoy, there is no shame in eggs.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: pupshaw on January 09, 2022, 07:51:42 PMNo I honestly think it's great. The slagging off only works because you think it's no improvement on the original. In fact the original seems kind of lightweight to me now.

Get.OUT

Gurke and Hare

When I was about 6 my older sister had a David Soul album. Naturally, I assumed that this was what soul music was.

willbo

I spent about a month thinking that felicia day was the main subject of gamergate and it was all about her having had sex with various top men in fantasy/scifi/comics/games to get jobs