Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pop and that

Started by TrenterPercenter, January 09, 2022, 10:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

OK inspired (as usual) by a chat with Crenners this time about Ginger Beer I'm wondering what people are doing for softies nowadays.  I generally drink water but recently I've been enjoying a chekky "treat drink" on an occasional eve as somekind beige reward scheme for not killing myself with booze.

First off let's get the Pam Doove clip out of the way Pam Doove

Right so down to business chops, I'm trading serious info in play to start off.

Dalston's Rhubarb is great, one of those "hint ofs" but really works, a new favourite.
San Pellegrino Sicilian Orange or the Blood Orange one are great also.
Fentiman's Rose Lemonade is great if really cold.

I'm looking for fizzy necking slags in my area naaaw so what you got for me?

Video Game Fan 2000

San Pellegrino is my pick, I like the sugar free ones. The supermarket used to have a pomegranite and orange one that was good but I haven't seen in it over a year.

For trash, I like Fanta's weird flavours. Fucking strawberry and kiwi, getting into Panda Pop territory.

Sebastian Cobb

Irn Bru, Barr Ginger Beer or Coke.

Video Game Fan 2000

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 09, 2022, 10:17:45 PMFanta's weird flavours

I'm not sure; now it's all sugar free it's tastes plasticky to me - I get excited each time I go to that "choose your own flavours" thing at the cinema at trying a new flavour but they all end up tasting weirdly similar (and like they are rotting my pelvis).

bgmnts

I was still drinking Barr until my shit stomach couldn't handle it anymore.

You can't beat Barr's Dandelion and Burdock.

shoulders

I don't drink pop much, probably for the best, but big fan of:

Black Grape
Dandelion and Burdock
Ginger Beer
Most Lemonades above Schweppes tier

Cheers

TrenterPercenter

I wondering about trying these.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: jobotic on January 09, 2022, 10:26:34 PM^yeah them, but the orange ones

What flavour are these Uludags? and where might someone acquire them?

Norton Canes

Soda water. Tonic.

Soda water and tonic.

ProvanFan

touchingcloth

What is this thread, please?

TrenterPercenter

Why it's a thread for sharing inside knowledge about great soft drinks friend!

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Got a big thing of pink lemonade and cloudy lemonade in my fridge right now. Never got the taste for various cola coke type drinks which to most people is a bit weird but whatever I don't care.

Used to get those fancy Belvoir fizzy things quite a lot, but now I live near a cheap corner shop so I just get Lilt instead cause it's always on two for one.

Fr.Bigley

I sell a lot of San pellegrino blood orange, tried it a few times and always think it tastes a tad synthetic...like that powdered orange drink you'd get in the 80s. My pop of choice now is fentimans dandelion and burdock.

Fritz cola when I can get it. Mega stuff.

Ferris

Coke Zero or a really spicy ginger beer.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Lucozade Zero. Hard to get it in original flavour, for some reason. I am down to two sugar-free soft drinks a day with water and tea the rest of the time.

In my pizza kebab burgers quests I've been trying to map the sugar content of foreign pop, especially since cunt Oliver ruined all the British stuff.

From memory: German, French, Polish Pepsi is all the same and is aspartame ridden bilge. Ukrainian Pepsi is a monstrous sugar hit, and CZ/SV/HU Pepsi is pretty much the same as the UK. Danish coke also seems pretty close to the UK equivalent.

Sainsbury's high juice is decent if you can't stomach sweeteners too.

Shit Good Nose

I'm really sensitive to artificial sweeteners, so I've binned off 90% of soft drinks because they taste fucking awful now - Dr Pepper (my previous favourite, and increasingly difficult to find full sugar imports from Europe since brexit) and San Pellegrino orange and lemon were up there, but they just have that horrible horrible sickly fake aftertaste which overpowers everything.

These days it's just Fentiman's, full-fat Pepsi (which I think has recently reduced the amount of sugar, but fortunately not thrown artificial sweeteners into the mix), Coca Cola Cherry Coke (never been a huge fan of regular Coca Cola - always been a Pepsi man - but will occasionally have it if it's in a glass bottle), and any of the ones that are sweetened only with fruit juice - yer Appletisers and Rios and the like.

The current state of soft drinks in the UK is abysmal and, for the first time since they went to corn syrup in the late 70s/early 80s, worse than the US.

The potential negative side-effect of this is that my cider intake has increased dramatically.  I'm still not a massive drinker, but I drink far more cider than I ever used to.

EDIT - also have always drunk plenty of water, tea and decent orange juice (with bits), which also happen to be the only still drinks I can stomach.

Ferris

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on January 09, 2022, 11:47:34 PMIn my pizza kebab burgers quests I've been trying to map the sugar content of foreign pop, especially since cunt Oliver ruined all the British stuff.

From memory: German, French, Polish Pepsi is all the same and is aspartame ridden bilge. Ukrainian Pepsi is a monstrous sugar hit, and CZ/SV/HU Pepsi is pretty much the same as the UK. Danish coke also seems pretty close to the UK equivalent.

Sainsbury's high juice is decent if you can't stomach sweeteners too.

I have a macabre fascination with foreign pop, always seek it out. Some of them are enjoyably mad (the Japanese range of "salted water" with Pokémon characters on the outside) and most are pretty good if ridiculously sugary.

Ramune was one I enjoyed, if only for the novelty of finding pop in a glass Codd neck bottle (which is worth a google if you like that kind of thing).

mothman

Mostly sparkling mineral water. Perhaps a Coke Zero with lunch. Too many soft drinks either have sugar in or I don't like their artificial sweetener taste.

Although I'm currently rather enjoying this:

It comes in small cans so makes for a nice refreshing sip every now and then.

Quote from: Ferris on January 10, 2022, 12:13:32 AMI have a macabre fascination with foreign pop, always seek it out. Some of them are enjoyably mad (the Japanese range of "salted water" with Pokémon characters on the outside) and most are pretty good if ridiculously sugary.

Ramune was one I enjoyed, if only for the novelty of finding pop in a glass Codd neck bottle (which is worth a google if you like that kind of thing).

You want to get in on Middle Eastern Vimto. So syrupy you could seal the roof of your shed with it. @Shit Good Nose too.

beanheadmcginty

Ferris

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on January 10, 2022, 12:24:46 AMYou want to get in on Middle Eastern Vimto. So syrupy you could seal the roof of your shed with it. @Shit Good Nose too.

Will keep an eye out. There's a corner store near me that's dedicated one wall of its wares to "exotic pop and rare candy" as they term it. Will be in there next few days sniffing about for Persian vimto.

pigamus

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 09, 2022, 11:39:33 PMLucozade Zero. Hard to get it in original flavour, for some reason. I am down to two sugar-free soft drinks a day with water and tea the rest of the time.

Pink lemonade seems to be the only zero one you can get in Asda

S'aright

Ferris

Real Gs buy the syrup online and use it with the fizzy water maker of their choice.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" The Darling Buds Of May" fan leaves thread disappointed.

greenman

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 09, 2022, 10:17:45 PMSan Pellegrino is my pick, I like the sugar free ones. The supermarket used to have a pomegranite and orange one that was good but I haven't seen in it over a year.

For trash, I like Fanta's weird flavours. Fucking strawberry and kiwi, getting into Panda Pop territory.

San Pellegrino probably the best commonly available non luxury ones I'd agree, used to be Orangina.

Standard Fanta tastes like the colour orange not the fruit.

imitationleather

It just doesn't get better than proper Coca Cola. Hate those pokey little 250ml cans, though. Just nowhere near enough satisfying heft to them. In Reykjavik I had Coca Cola in a 500ml can. Absolute scenes, Clive. Probably cost me a tenner, but still.

However I only drink pop as a treat and so should all of you, if you know what's good for you. Unless you're drinking one of the disgusting sugar-free ones. In which case fill yer rancid boots.