Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pop and that

Started by TrenterPercenter, January 09, 2022, 10:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Mentioned it in the OP but for those that hate the artificial sweeteners or loads of sugar the Dalston ones are good.

Can only vouch for the Rhubarb though at this stage

Kankurette

Lime Diet Coke.

Seconding Ramune. Also Rubicon mango.

Icehaven

Gurke and Hare

Vimto, all the Vimto. Mostly the original blackcurrant, raspberry and grape but the orange, lime and strawberry one is okay. The rest of the Vimto Extended Universe are rubbish. I'm a diabetic, so it's the sugar free ones for me but apparently I don't mid the taste of artificial sweeteners. Regarding Middle Eastern Vimto, the salesman who introduced it to the Middle East is a friend of my ex-girlfriend's dad. Yeah, look impressed. The energy hit from its massive sugar content makes it very popular as the first thing to have post-sundown during Ramadan apparently.

I like the new Fanta raspberry flavour too, and I've got a bottle of that blue mystery Fanta in the fridge, it's been there for ages but I'm a bit scared to open it in case it's nasty.

All cola is an abomination unto the LORD.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 10, 2022, 08:17:46 AMMentioned it in the OP but for those that hate the artificial sweeteners or loads of sugar the Dalston ones are good.

Can only vouch for the Rhubarb though at this stage

For a rhubarb drink, I prefer Cawston Press. It's a lot less sweet so it's closer to the tartness of actual rhubarb.

At the opposite end of the sweetness spectrum, I found this in Home Bargains:

Classic, full sugar Irn Bru in a glass bottle. Of all the soft drinks, I think Irn Bru got fucked over the worst by the sugar tax. Well, now it's back. In Pog original form

the science eel

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 09, 2022, 10:27:00 PM

I wondering about trying these.

I don't know but whatever you do do NOT even sample this

it's oversweet and tastes of ointment. Fucking rank.

I like the lemon San P but not the others.

Easy to make your own, mind - big glass of fizzy water, the juice of a fat lemon and a heaped teaspoon or two of sugar.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on January 10, 2022, 10:04:51 AMAlso Rubicon mango.

Ah how had in forgotten about these beauties - the passion fruit one is also good (but a bit sweeter).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: the science eel on January 10, 2022, 10:21:40 AMI don't know but whatever you do do NOT even sample this

it's oversweet and tastes of ointment. Fucking rank.

Thanks for the heads up, this is a tricky one as I like the ointmenty taste.  It's basically herbal, I imagine ointment just has herbal scents in it to cover the actual smell.

Anyhoo some people absolutely loath this taste, it's a bold but a pretty standard flavour you'lll get in vermouths and most obviously root beers. 

So I guess I want to know do you like the taste of Negroni's or things like root beers and this is still bad, or is this just a taste profile you are not keen on overall?

Fr.Bigley

It even says it on the bottom of the can..

"with shite of sicily".

The Mollusk

Love a bit of Jizz Fizz (carbonated cum)

the science eel

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 10, 2022, 10:29:16 AMThanks for the heads up, this is a tricky one as I like the ointmenty taste.  It's basically herbal, I imagine ointment just has herbal scents in it to cover the actual smell.

Anyhoo some people absolutely loath this taste, it's a bold but a pretty standard flavour you'lll get in vermouths and most obviously root beers. 

So I guess I want to know do you like the taste of Negroni's or things like root beers and this is still bad, or is this just a taste profile you are not keen on overall?

I'm not keen on that kind of taste, but this is way too sweet too. I was expecting a kind of bitter lemon-type lark. Bit of quinine.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: the science eel on January 10, 2022, 10:44:33 AMI'm not keen on that kind of taste, but this is way too sweet too. I was expecting a kind of bitter lemon-type lark. Bit of quinine.

Thanks I suspect this just isn't to your taste but I'm mindful of the over sweet comment so I won't rush out to get any.  This flavour is completely different from "bitter" in the normal sense it's more "bitters" like Angostura bitters which uses things like angostura bark, wormwood or quinine which make up the flavour profile.

Fact of the day Angostura Bitters doesn't actually contain any Angostura bark and from 1993 manufacturers have be legally obliged to call it Angostura flavoured bitters.  Angostura bark is basically a quinine substitute and is what is in the Fever Tree stuff i.e. it's literally a tree that treats fevers which is represented on their logo and in their name.

Edit:  Actually it seems the tree Fever Tree depicts is the Cinchona Tree (Chinotta for Italians) though they use Angostura bark.  These, and the original Acacia xanthophloea (quinine) are all however known as "Fever Trees"

the science eel

Aha!

I'd guessed the 'chinotti' was Italian for quinine.

Queued for ages to get it too. Well actually not the drink but the focaccia

Dex Sawash

As told to the fizzy drinks thread, currently loving this starbux bin juice (on the cookd and bombd forum)

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 22, 2021, 10:06:04 PMBought some S Pelligrino coffee/fizzy water hybrids today, closeout 24cans/$8.
No sugar or artificial sweetener, surprisingly nice. Taste like one of those iced latte things only fizzy and not tooth hurtingly sweet. Just noticed it is Nestle, the cunts.

jobotic

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 10, 2022, 12:41:15 AMGlass bottle Orangina.

That is the best, you're right. Can't find them anywhere now though.

Used to be able to get blood orange ones too [chef's kiss]

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: bgmnts on January 09, 2022, 10:25:26 PMYou can't beat Barr's Dandelion and Burdock.

You totally can.

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on January 09, 2022, 11:28:53 PMMy pop of choice now is fentimans dandelion and burdock.

Yes! Their ginger beer and pink ginger beer are great too.

Johnny Yesno

Haitai Bon Bon drinks are pretty nice too, if you can find them at your local east Asian supermarket. The grape one tastes a bit artificial but it has actual peeled grapes sitting in the bottom of the can.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 10, 2022, 12:19:59 PMTheir ginger beer and pink ginger beer are great too.

Yes they are good - I would say the Fentiman's ginger beer is spicier than the Luscombes hot one in fact.  Still I yearn for something more powerful.

Video Game Fan 2000

It's hard to get a good ginger beer in Europe. All the cheaper brands are fizzy sugar water with no kick and the luxury brands are tiny bottles of ginger syrup.

I did like Pimento brand when I could get it, and sometimes the asian importers have Old Jamaica.

beanheadmcginty

canadagoose

Diet root beer is my favourite treat, and although Aldi does an acceptable analogue, it's not a patch on A&W, which is hard to get now for some reason.

Grape soda, with that concord grape taste, is another favourite of mine. Can also be found at Aldi. I don't work for them, honest.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: canadagoose on January 10, 2022, 04:02:13 PMGrape soda, with that concord grape taste, is another favourite of mine. Can also be found at Aldi. I don't work for them, honest.

I'm interested I used to love a grape soda back in the day but haven't had one in ages might have to revisit.

The Crumb

The Levi Roots drink with watermelon and guava is my current #1.

For cheap home drinking, the Aldi knock off lilts are cheap and nice enough.