Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:00:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

And Just Like That (sex and city reboot)

Started by Dex Sawash, January 11, 2022, 05:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Sequel to Sex and the City is really hilariously bad. As though old and out of touch writing staff decides what the reboot needs to be is woke because they heard someone say woke.

Please don't watch this for fun but if you have a partner you watch it with, come here to moan about it.

superthunderstingcar

What does the title refer to? Is it a crossover with Tommy Cooper?

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on January 11, 2022, 06:01:39 PMWhat does the title refer to? Is it a crossover with Tommy Cooper?

It's from a scene where Charlotte asks in enthralled and naive disbelief if Samantha can make a guy do a spunk just by looking at him and she shoots a guy a look and he spunks himself and she says "and just like that", I think.

A character called Mr Big was the main love interest in the original series and he's killed off in the opening episode of this revival. And Just Like That the actor has been cancelled, with multiple women coming forward with accusations of wrongdoing.

I only saw bits of the opening episode and they were all dumping on Kim Catrall's character, who refused to return for it.

kngen

Caught a bit of it when my partner was watching it (she watches SATC repeatedly, and even she admitted it was fucking awful) - and one of them, the red-haired one maybe, seemed to be having a relationship with a stand-up comedian who, I'm guessing, they think is a fantastic imitation of Tig Notaro.

They'd be bang on the money if Tig Notaro was a lesbian Andrew Dice Clay whose idea of a punchline was 'If you can't handle me being a dyke, you can SUCK MY DICK!'

Oh, I do love it when screenwriters try to write stand-up routines - I laughed a lot, but not in the way they meant me to.

Dex Sawash

I assumed the stand up was a real one that might actually be good because they had decent stage presence when not delivering the terrible jokes.

Kankurette

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 11, 2022, 09:00:28 PMA character called Mr Big was the main love interest in the original series and he's killed off in the opening episode of this revival. And Just Like That the actor has been cancelled, with multiple women coming forward with accusations of wrongdoing.

I only saw bits of the opening episode and they were all dumping on Kim Catrall's character, who refused to return for it.
Oh, THAT explains why there's no Sam in the pictures.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: kngen on January 11, 2022, 10:21:23 PMOh, I do love it when screenwriters try to write stand-up routines - I laughed a lot, but not in the way they meant me to.
Reminds me that while I enjoyed 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip', I do wonder how much of it's failure was down to the comedy sketches being performed for the show-within-a-show not actually being very good, despite Matthew Perry's character apparently being an absolute comic genius.

I never watched Sex and the City, but I do remember seeing an interview (prob on the Guardian) with the Mr Big actor promoting the new series, as I saw his pic and thought "oh, it's the chap from Law and Order" and he seemed quite content with his lot, obviously - this must have been only days before all the allegations started coming out.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Aren't they getting a bit too old for this shit now? They should be taking up knitting, not going around having sex all over the place.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 11, 2022, 11:19:46 PMAren't they getting a bit too old for this shit now? They should be taking up knitting, not going around having sex all over the place.

The kids are going at it hammer and tongs. The ones too young to fuck are dealing with pronouns.

Edit- the way the adults deal with it is cringe-y

chveik

Noodle Lizard

Ferris

If I wanted to watch the travails of an unhappily married woman, I'd spend more time with my wife!!

Can't believe this has been made, who was after this? A vanity/misplaced-nostalgia commission that has been allowed to go much too far. I'm assuming it has the weird Curb Your Enthusiasm thing of geriatrics going on dates and carrying on like they're 25 with zero irony or self-awareness, but also the characters are ridiculously wealthy and unbearably smug.

I'll avoid, but I'm shocked to hear it isn't very good. I thought the entire franchise had been #canceled after that debacle of a film set in Abu Dhabi.

Icehaven

I've never seen the original series and won't be watching this but I was quite delighted to read that the Peloton manufacturers had a hissy fit because a character drops dead after using one. Best anti-product placement ever. 

The character was played by a man who was recently outed as a sex pest, so with the right PR they could have spun it in their favour. He'll thankfully never work again and being killed by their product is his final on-screen appearance.

Dex Sawash

We watched one last night that began with a sort of montage that was a single take of Carrie in front of a window writing on her laptop as seasons change, snow builds on window sill and slowly melts away while her hair style also changes. Her miming of writing is about like a 4 year old pretending to drive a car.

Spoiler alert
Carrie goes on a date because her publisher demands an uplifting ending to the book she wrote in the window. The date ends with both of them drunk-vomiting on the sidewalk. The did a good job with the vomiting tbf
[close]

Dex Sawash

Season Two! And it does not disappoint, still beyond shit. Miranda struggles with
Spoiler alert
a strap-on
[close]

Ferris

A quick google, all the characters are canonically in their 60s and 70s so fair enough they struggle with any knot-tying and close-up vision.

dissolute ocelot

Saw an article about how Kim Cattrall's returning, but she's not actually filming any scenes with the rest of the cast, it was all done separately. Nice! I hope she was paid lots of money and can retire to set up a mannequin sanctuary in the countryside.

I feel I should try this, but maybe I'll wait till one of them dies and they have a sad funeral episode (without strap-on jokes).

JaDanketies

My fiancee watched this and didn't think it was very good. I watched bits and pieces and thought it was also terrible. SJP struggling to cope with the new woke world, and Kim Kattrell mentioned far too often for her absence. Even the ending
Spoiler alert
with Mr Big was ruined because he was a sex offender irl so they had to redo it. Also a bit of a kick in the teeth for my fiancee to mourn his fictional death only to learn he's a sex offender shortly afterwards
[close]

She'll watch this next season tho I'm sure

Dr Rock

Is she supposed to have moved to Paris? Samantha would never move to Paris.  Like 99.9% of Americans. It's always writers go-to place though, they never move to Scotland or Greece.

cacciaguida

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2023, 11:50:56 AMIs she supposed to have moved to Paris? Samantha would never move to Paris.  Like 99.9% of Americans. It's always writers go-to place though, they never move to Scotland or Greece.

Have you seen Mamma Mia!?

Dr Rock

Yeah but she's not a American is she? I suppose she is. Bah. Yes I've see bits of it, couldn't bear to hear those perfect songs massacred.

Dex Sawash

E2 further box ticking of inclusiveness. Miranda in California following new non-binary partner meets a west coast planet hugger who invites her to a beach cleaning event. Re-proving that they don't research any story idea, 90% of what they bag up is seaweed. One of the other planet huggers is cross because Miranda owns a smartphone.

Carrie gets a call from an unknown number "hope it isn't  the democrats again"

Wife hasn't liked any of this except when an Important Dress from early series makes an appearance, wife does an internal air punch.  It may be me pushing to watch now as it is so spectacularly bad.

Blue Jam

Icehaven

Still never seen this and never will but the tread title makes me think of the ending of The Usual Suspects. I'm presuming that's not intentional.

Blue Jam

I'm picturing Carrie Bradshaw wearing a Philip Treacy Fez. Maybe whipping some submissive man with the tassle.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Icehaven on July 06, 2023, 03:52:10 PMStill never seen this and never will but the tread title makes me think of the ending of The Usual Suspects. I'm presuming that's not intentional.

I've never seen this and never will, but I do know that the title 'And Just Like That' inspired a truly insane recent column by the truly insane columnist Liz Jones.

There's plenty of comment about it on twitter if anyone wants to know about it without actually going to the Daily Mail website.

Icehaven

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 07, 2023, 08:39:12 AMI've never seen this and never will, but I do know that the title 'And Just Like That' inspired a truly insane recent column by the truly insane columnist Liz Jones.

There's plenty of comment about it on twitter if anyone wants to know about it without actually going to the Daily Mail website.

Bloody hell, Liz Jones is still at large?! I'd forgotten she existed and wish to do so again.

grainger

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 18, 2022, 12:13:24 PMHer miming of writing is about like a 4 year old pretending to drive a car.

In the original series, when she narrated a bit she'd written, it always sounded like someone who could barely read trying to read something. Which was odd, because the rest of her lines were delivered perfectly naturally.